Acceptance of a Messianic Jew

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Laura
    I'm not sure if you're talking about converting from Judaism to messianic judaism or from another religion. Once you're Jewish, you're always Jewish. But messianic judaism isn't authentic Judaism. One of the main tenets of Judaism is that we're waiting for the Messiah to come. Believing that jesus was the messiah is contrary to this belief. It's essentially a missionary organization which tries to lessen guilt which Jews would feel converting to christianity; they say that they can still be Jewish while believing in Jesus. Sure, they're Jewish, but it's not Judaism. And if you're converting from another religion to messianic judaism, you will not be considered Jewish in any case.

User Detail :  

Name : Laura, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, City : Baltimore, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Paige-V
    Participant
    Will the traditional Jewish community accept me as Jewish if I convert and am Messianic-Jewish?

User Detail :  

Name : Paige-V, Age : 38, City : Huntsville, State : AL Country : United States, 

carol
    Participant
    Accept you as what? A human being, definitely. A Jew, no. If you convert to Christianity (or other faith) you are no longer a Jew, period. There is no such thing as a 'Messianic Jew' or a 'Jew for Jesus'; the minute you accept Christianity as your religion you cease to be a Jew. That does not of course mean you don't have an absolute Constitutional right to convert to anything you please, but why would you want to even be considered a Jew when you are a Chrsitian?

User Detail :  

Name : carol, City : castro valley, State : CA Country : United States, 

Jesse-Nadel30789
    Participant
    If you have a valid conversion to traditional Judaism (not messianic), what you came from is unimportant; nearly all will accept you. Another point; to traditional Judaism, your religion (apart from a conversion) derives from your mother; if she was Jewish then you are too, regardless of what you believe or practise, and so, a traditional Jewish congregation would regard you as Jewish, regardless of how you were brought up. But please understand, that to tradtional Judaism, messianic judaism is not Judaism of any sort; it is thinly disguised Christianity and repugnant to many.

User Detail :  

Name : Jesse-Nadel30789, Gender : M, Religion : Jewish, Age : 40, City : Herzliya, State : NA Country : Israel, Occupation : Engineer, 

Alexis31368
    Participant
    Short answer: no. Long answer: All 3 major Jewish movements in the US deny that Messianic Judaism is in fact Judaism, since a basic tenet of Judaism is that the Messiah has not yet arrived. In addition, most communities don't accept conversions done by movements less religious than them. Only an Orthodox conversion is deemed acceptable to all--and no Orthodox rabbi will perform a conversion on someone who still believes in Jesus.

User Detail :  

Name : Alexis31368, Gender : F, Religion : Jewish, City : Huntington Station, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

susan
    Participant
    First, there's no such thing, really, as a Messianic Jew. One of the many things that makes Christianity different from Judaism is that Christians believe that Jesus is the messiah predicted in the Jewish Bible (New and Old Testament are Christian terms), while Jews believe that the Messiah has not yet arrived. If you believe that Jesus is the Messiah you are not a Jew, you are a Christian. Messianic Judaism is generally a cover for attempts to convert Jews to Christianity. Suggesting that a Jew can or should consider Jesus to be the Messiah does nothing more than perpetuate anti-semitic attitudes. Jews through the centuries have been tortured and killed for not having Christian beliefs. Whether you intend it or not, the claim of the messianic Jew insults the memory of every Jew who died in the Crusades or the Inquisition or church sponsored pogroms. As for your specific question, if by 'traditional Jews' you mean Orthodox Jews, they will not recognize a conversion by anyone other than Orthodox rabbis and I promise you that no Orthodox rabbi is going to convert you, with beliefs like those. If you mean the wider spectrum of American Jews, including Reform and Conservative, they are more liberal in the issue of which conversions they accept (ie which rabbis do the converting) but I can't imagine that any of those rabbis would convert you either. I also strongly doubt that they, or any mainstream Jew, would recognize a conversion by a messianic 'rabbi.' In short, if you believe that Jesus is the Messiah, by all means, be a Christian and continue to look until you find a Christian denomination that fulfills you spiritually. IF you want to be a Jew, be a Jew. But you can't be both.

User Detail :  

Name : susan, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 39, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : attorney, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Jfer P.
    Participant
    It's actually not a matter of 'accepting' you so much as it is about YOUR accepting Judaism. While technically, a person born to a Jewish mother (or converted according to Jewish law) is a Jew, joining another religion constitutes a rejection of Judaism in your life. It's like a country that doesn't accept 'dual citizenship,' really... you can't have it both ways, as much as the messianic preacher-'rabbis' will try to convince you otherwise. (they are usually born-Christian missionaries who will say almost anything to win converts) In accepting Christianity, you will be adopting many beliefs which are antithetical to Jewish teachings, and in doing so, you will need to let go of your Jewish 'citizenship.' Visit http://www.jewsforjudaism.com for more information.

User Detail :  

Name : Jfer P., Religion : Jewish, City : Toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, 

Daniel
    Participant
    The term Messianic 'Jew' is a misnomer; Jews are still waiting for the Messiah to come. Those people who thing the Messiah already came, as Jesus, are Christians. So you would be accepted by the Jewish community in the same way that Christians are accepted. But you would not be accepted as any form of Jew. In fact, Jews consider the term 'Messianic Jew' to be confusing at best, or a devious attempt to eradicate the religion, at worst.

User Detail :  

Name : Daniel, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 43, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : consultant, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Astorian
    Participant
    I don't mean to discourage you from embracing Judaism, if that is truly what you want to do, but VERY few Jews will accept someone who believes in the divinity of Jesus as truly Jewish. To most Jews (and to nearly ALL devout Jews), once you proclaim that Jesus is the Messiah, you have renounced your Jewish heritage, and embraced a false religion. I do not endorse such sentiments. I can respect messianic Jews. AFter all, the earliest Christians, like Peter, were Jews who contined to attend the synagogue, obey the kosher laws, and circumcise their children. I merely warn you that most JEws will not accept you as genuinely Jewish if you believe that Jesus was the son of God.

User Detail :  

Name : Astorian, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 38, City : Austin, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Todd B
    Participant
    Paige: In answer to your question, no. Traditional Judaism teaches us that there is but one Moshiach (messiah), and that he has not yet come, and that he will only come once, thereby ushering in the Kingdom of God, so to speak. Hey, at least we agree on that.

User Detail :  

Name : Todd B, Gender : M, Age : 30, City : Jersey City, State : NJ Country : United States, 

Whitty__
    The term 'Messianic Jew' is an interesting term to refer to Jews who convert to Christianity. In other words, they accept Jesus as the Messiah. Judaism as a religion believes that the Messiah has not yet come, so technically speaking from traditional Judaism's view, you cannot both be a Jew who believes that the Messiah has not come as well as a Christian, who believes he has. There are many other differences, but we'll stick with this one. In reference to your question, the 'traditional' Jewish community would not see you as Jewish, but they would view you as a Christian. As far as 'acceptance' goes, that depends on whether or not you're referring to them accepting you as a Christian (which they would) or accepting you as a Jew (which they would not). Messianic Judaism is really mostly made up of Jews who converted to Christianity, so I'm not sure why you'd 'convert' to that if you're not already Jewish. Christianity is fundamentally the same thing. Hope this answers your question...

User Detail :  

Name : Whitty__, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, 

beth23168
    Participant
    I dont' know what traditional Jewish community will allow you to convert if you are messianic. Personally, as a jew, accepting christ is a sign of christianity. The jews are awaiting their messiah, and therefore if you accept christ you aren't jewish I suspect the only jews that will accept you are others who are also messianic.

User Detail :  

Name : beth23168, City : anchorage, State : AK Country : United States, 

Anne23848
    Participant
    In my view as a Jew it's very straightforward. If you turn to another faith and convert, then you become a part of that faith and not the one you left behind. Should you accept Jesus as your savior you become a Christian and can no longer be considered a Jew.

User Detail :  

Name : Anne23848, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : White/Caucasian, Race : X, Religion : Jewish, Age : 39, City : North, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Administrator, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Lisa
    What is a Messianic Jew? Is that someone who belongs to Jews for Jesus? If you converted, would you believe that Jesus was the messiah? The basic problem here is that Jews do not believe that Jesus was the messiah. They believe that the messiah has not come yet. I can't speak for everyone, only myself, but I believe that in the eyes of most Jews, if you converted to being a Jew for Jesus, you would essentially be a Christian. Would you be accepted? I don't know. I am not a traditional Jew, but I know that traditional Jews would have a real problem with it. A lot of Jews have been killed in the name of Jesus. I know that the murder is actually an abuse of the Christian religion, not a tenet of it, but the history is there all the same. The interesting thing is that when Christianity started, Judaism was actually more popular. There were a lot of other religions too. It wasn't until a Roman emperor converted, and forced his subjects to do so, that Christianity really took hold.

User Detail :  

Name : Lisa, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, 

Regise
    Participant
    If I am understanding your question correctly, it appears that you are asking if you convert to Messianic Judaism, will you be accepted by the larger Jewish Community? The answer is no. Jesus, though believed to be a great teacher in Judaism, did not fulfill the requirements of a Messiah according to Jewish law. Furthermore, the concept of the trinity is quite foreign to Judaism whose foundation is "G-d the One and Only." Praying to "the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit" is not representative of monotheistic thought or belief.

User Detail :  

Name : Regise, Gender : F, Religion : Jewish, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.