Young people and the military

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Bill
    Are all the kids out there slackers? That's a question I would ask myself about young men my son's age. He's 20. I don't ask that anymore. He left March 19, 2003, to report to the 101st Air Assault Battalion after spending two weeks at home on leave after Army basic training and quartermaster school. I have a lot of respect for the young men (especially my son) who have chosen to enlist to support our country during these difficult times. You don't need to support the war in order to support our troops. Slackers? Not on your life. I'm looking at this generation of young men in a different light than I did previously, with pride. I'd be interested to know how the young men of this generation feel about the U.S. military as a viable option and how they feel about world events. (No, I'm not a recruiter, just a parent of three young adult children).

User Detail :  

Name : Bill, Gender : M, City : n/a, State : NA Country : United States, 

Jessica
    Participant
    I'm not in the 'young men' category you requested, but feel I am qualified to answer your question. I am 23 and pursuing a master's degree in U.S. military history. Among the people my age I associate with (of both genders), an utmost respect for the military prevails. We collectively agree that the best opportunities for guaranteed success in life are the military and college. Though at times we may disagree with the policies and directives behind the soldiers, even those I know who participate in peace protests recognize the importance of our military - the men and women who so assist our country deserve great respect.

User Detail :  

Name : Jessica, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 23, City : Huntsville, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dave-N
    Participant
    As a 33-year-old male American living overseas, I have been quite concerned about the issue of the Iraq war. I have spoken out quite frequently about my reasons for opposing the war in my own email circle, and I would like to share with you the outcome of the ensuing debate that took place.

Whether for or against this war, we love and respect the men and women who serve in the military. We honor them for their sacrifice by keeping the debate alive and by insisting on a free and vigorous exchange of ideas. (Notice I didn't say a free and vigorous media? The state of the U.S. media has become abominable in its total slavery to ratings and biased reporting.)

The principles of freedom are protected by people like your son. Whatever their personal reasons may be for joining the military, be it pride and patriotism, a way to pay for college or to give direction to a directionless life, the U.S. military servivemen and women are the unsung heroes of our nation. Thank you for raising a son who has the commitment and temerity to do what many of us cannot (I am physically handicapped), and thank you for the strength you must have to see your son go to war in a place most of us will never see and for reasons that many of us will never fully understand. God bless you and your family.

User Detail :  

Name : Dave-N, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Disability : bad hips/arthritis, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 33, City : Frankfurt, State : na Country : Germany, Occupation : Cross Cultural Consultant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Mark22100
    Participant
    I think the greatest thing a person can do is serve in the military. I spent three years in the Army, serving in the Second Infantry Division in South Korea. I've since graduated college and become a lawyer. None of my other accomplishments, however, have instilled me with with the pride I have for having served my country. It's nice to know you are so proud of your son. I wish him nothing but the best.

User Detail :  

Name : Mark22100, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 28, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Lawyer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Dustin25692
    Participant
    I feel that young men my age (22) feel that the military is a viable option. I joined the Air Force three years ago after a semester of college. I was pretty bored with school and felt that maybe the military could provide some excitement in my life and even some opportunity. I was surprised at how many of my friends thought service to one's country was a great idea. Many have chosen careers of service as opposed to careers for personal wealth only (i.e. military, medicine, Peace Corps, FBI, etc.). I am proud to be a member of my generation - one with deep roots in service above self.

User Detail :  

Name : Dustin25692, Gender : M, City : Spokane, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : U.S. Air Force, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Jade
    Men and women are joining the military. I will be one of them when i start at the Air force Academy. I not only do it to get a 1st class education but to serve my country with pride.

User Detail :  

Name : Jade, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Spanish, Religion : Catholic, Age : 16, City : Sydney, State : NA Country : Australia, Occupation : Student, Social class : Upper class, 

jason31280
    Participant
    While I think the military is largely respected and appreciated by most people, I think it does draw some criticism for its recruiting practices of targeting young adult males who don't qualify for college. However, most informed people would recognize that many bright people are in the military, particularly via OCS or one of the academies. But there also seems like an implied notion that if young men don't go in the military they're slackers. I think a lot of young men are very hard working and just find better options elsewhere, like college.

User Detail :  

Name : jason31280, Gender : M, Age : 27, City : columbia, State : SC Country : United States, 

doug galecawitz
    Participant
    I have several friends that have gone of to the wars in Afganistan and Iraq and it saddens me that my friends or anyone would choose this path. It just seems to me that no cause other than self and immediate family is worth risking one's life for. Especially not the notions of god or country which are always trumpted as reasons to go to war and are given a higher value of esteem the world over. I place the highest esteem on a person's willingness to live for themself rather than die for their country. I think if everyone on earth were to apply this logic war would ceasee to exist. I will not even pretend that this is anymore than hopeless dreaming but I cannot accept that death is ever heroic let alone noble when there is such a huge gulf between the those who make war and those who fight it.

User Detail :  

Name : doug galecawitz, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 25, City : lisle, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower class, 

Courtney
    To be quite honest...I don't believe that anybody should look to a career of killing other people. Yes I would hold individual respect for each and every person in the military, but I would also look at them as murderers or possible murderers. There is never an excuse to kill. I just want you to know that I do respect troops world wide as individual beings but you've got to look at what they are doing to other people. Imagine if an young Iraqi man came up to you and said 'sorry but my president tells me i have to kill you' and then shoots you. Its not right. (Imagine Jesus with a Machine Gun) God Bless, Courtney

User Detail :  

Name : Courtney, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Native American/British/German/Ukranian, Religion : Christian, Age : 18, City : Toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : University Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Matt
    Participant
    It is an interesting and common phenomenon that the image of teenage boys improves dramatically when they put on a uniform. Many of the qualities for which they are condemned in civilian society become meritorious; their belief they are immortal, their violence, and their fierce loyalty to their buddies all make them better soldiers. Many adults are not comfortable with teen boys riding around in a sportscar around their neighborhood and impregnating their daughters, but feel very okay with having them pilot a tank in Iraq to defend their freedom.

User Detail :  

Name : Matt, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 17, City : Parsippany, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

kelly
    I am sorry to burst you bubble but todays youth are slackers. They want it now and not to work for it. From working with youth they dont want to talk to the military recruiters. One of my co workers when they asked someone about joining a branch of the military the person responded 'Why dont you find a poor kid to join and go die in Iraq?' After returning from Iraq we where given a nice parade and everyone is thankful for everything we have done. But ask them to do it themselves, a polite 'no thank you' if you are lucky. Now I am not just refering to the military service either, there are few kids that want to do anything for there communities i.e. peace corps etc. Maybe I am just to old or to blind to see what exactly the youth of tomorrow are good for. But when I see a 15 yr old Iraqi kid help a bunch of foriegners, and an American kid wont even help his fellow countryman there is a problem in my eyes..... Yes I am a Recruiter

User Detail :  

Name : kelly, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 32, City : colorado springs, State : CO Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Steve
    Participant
    I was a young person in the military and now a older person in the military (by military standards). I am in my 30s. What impresses me most about young people coming into the military now is the same deep sense of patriotism I saw when I came in, the understanding and upholding of tradition, and a greater technological understanding of weapon systems. The kids nowadays seem to more capable when adapting to technology as well as grasping the new concepts that technology demands. Globally speaking, the young people I see not in service, including some friends of mine, seem less patriotic than my civilian friends of years ago; this may be a shift in our society. As for the young men and women coming in and currently serving, they get promoted faster, receive more advanced training, and display a superior attitude than many of their older counterparts.

User Detail :  

Name : Steve, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Age : 29, City : Omaha, State : NE Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.