Woodstock ’99 riots

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

John K.
    Participant
    After seeing the riots at the latest incarnation of Woodstock, I would like to know why the riots took place. Does anyone have a rational answer to this question, or is this just another example of spoiled young people causing wanton destruction for kicks?

Director's note: Y? would be particularly interested in hearing responses from young people, especially those who were at the event.

User Detail :  

Name : John K., Gender : M, Age : 26, City : Cranford, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : Chemical Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

TR24806
    Participant
    I wasn't there, but I think I have an answer to your question. You are seeking a rational answer from someone who was present at the event, but that is highly unlikely. The kind of people who would participate in such high scale destruction are not likely the same type of people who would participate in a constructive forum such as this one. Plus, I don't think that there is a rational answer. I think it started with a few troublemakers, and then mob mentality took over. I don't even think the participants knew why they were doing it.

User Detail :  

Name : TR24806, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Mormon, Age : 17, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, 

Lou
    Participant
    I don't think it has anything to do with age. People of all ages, backgrounds and so forth tend to be very suggestible in large groups. People will do things in large groups that they wouldn't think twice about by themselves, or in a small group. Woodstock (all of them for that matter) is an excellent example of this. You also see this type of thing on union picket lines. A person who normally wouldn't harm a fly, surrounded by enough people can be easily talked into picket line violence. I have seen studies of this, and being from a largely unionized area (Detroit, MI, area), see what people are capable of in large groups. It usually only takes one or two people to suggest the idea, then the rest of the group follows along with the crowd.

User Detail :  

Name : Lou, Gender : M, Age : 28, City : Windsor, State : NA Country : Canada, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Emily
    Participant
    My aunt lives in New York near Woodstock, and she told me that, hearing from people who had been there, it was a culmination of a really difficult few days. Security was inadequate, and when the riots started, the undertrained security guards didn't have the knowledge to deal with it and didn't want to put themselves in a dangerous situation while trying to control it. Water was extremely expensive ($4), people were not allowed to bring in outside beverage containers and the ATMs ran out of money, so people were unable to buy water, anyway. She said at the beginning of the riots it was people taking what was necessary, and then people started destroying the beverage stands and looting the other stands.

User Detail :  

Name : Emily, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 18, City : Minneapolis, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

MrBrain20366
    Participant
    insane is all i can tell you. its not like it was a handful of people going stupid it was hundreds. maybe it was overcrowding, maybe it was overpricing maybe it was Fred and the Gang Eggin it on. that i dont know. but when it hit the fan and when part of the tower came down narrowly missing me and a buddy we got the heck out of there.

User Detail :  

Name : MrBrain20366, City : mellow, State : NA Country : state of mind, 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.