Will we be ‘Bushed’ back 50 years?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Alma
    Participant
    If George Bush achieves the presidency, I believe a strong undercurrent of tension from minorities in the United States threatens to erupt. I would like to know how others feel about the possibility of going back to black and white drinking fountains and restrooms, rich whites and poor blacks and Hispanics, gays being banned from civil service and public sector jobs, etc. And no, I'm not kidding. This is a serious issue that needs to be addressed. As a gay American, I'm seriously considering purchasing a firearm for home protection for the first time in my life. I would appreciate honest answers without mean-spirited sarcasm from either end of the opinion scale.

User Detail :  

Name : Alma, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, City : Kempner, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : contract employee, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Lucy22376
    Participant
    There will be some changes, but I don't think there will be anything as drastic as you have described. I am most worried about an increase in laws banning or restricting abortion. Gay rights issues might also take a hit. We have to remember that the right-wing Christians have a big hand in the Republican Party. I think this is the time for people to be particularly vigilant about protecting the rights that we have and not let them be eroded. As far as buying a firearm goes, I don't think that who ever is the next president will cause the need for personal protection to increase or decrease. My advice is that if you feel you need a firearm for protection, then go ahead and buy one, but make sure you get the proper training on how to use and store it. Firearms are a very effective means of self-defense, but only to those who know how to use them.

User Detail :  

Name : Lucy22376, Gender : F, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 26, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

kenny on
    No one knows what's going to happen next but we can assume (guess) what might happen in the future. The possibilities you have described can happen during the George Bush's presidency (when he achieves it) in order to carry out his wills and believes. Only thing bothers me is that we don't know exactly what his wills and believes are.... 'The events that will shape our future are happening now - guided by PEOPLE who, in their attempts to resolve social conflicts, make crucial decisions.' Those decisions are, sometimes, in favor of only certain groups and the powerless people are only victims. I worry about them same as you do. However, I believe we have the greatest potential because we are the majority. And we proved it.

User Detail :  

Name : kenny on, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Age : 19, City : mt. vernon, State : IA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Orleanas19975
    Participant
    I find it interesting that you feel threatened and you, as well as I, have just cause. I agree with you about the implications of a Bush presidency, although I thought more of it in the context of the Reagan administration rather that going that far back. In terms of the economic implications on social programs designed to help 'minorities' and the oppressed, I fear there is just cause for fear. As for an uprising, I think that will take place after his two years in office, about re-election time. It seems as if uprisings occur after a period of great strain, not before, but it will be interesting. How this mess could have actually happened behooves me, but yes, I agree, those of us in the defensive should arm ourselves, mentally and physically.

User Detail :  

Name : Orleanas19975, Gender : F, Age : 20, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, 

Lawrence
    I hear you loud and clear, Alma. I am just as frightened as you are. My lover and I have spoken seriously about moving to Europe. We are going to school right now, so we are just biding our time. We are still going to get our MBAs and law degrees and jam. It's really Cheney who scares me. He and his wife are the real demons. By the way, is everybody sick of your ranting about your fear? My friends are tired of my political vision. I feel like those people during World War II who spoke up about Hitler and nobody listened. Alma, you are not alone.

User Detail :  

Name : Lawrence, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : I just believe in God thats all., Age : 40, City : Stockton, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Michael
    Participant
    If there was a time to buy a firearm it was during the Clinton administration, when Janet Reno used the ATF as her private police force of 'jackbooted thugs', violating our civil rights to privacy and protection from unreasonable government intrusion. I am a libertarian and did not vote for Clinton or Gore. What all of you are writing here is unfounded hysteria fanned by self-promoting demagogues such as Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. They feed off fear, because without that, they would be unemployed and have no purpose in the public life. As for homosexuals, they just are not important either way to Bush/Cheney. It was not a campaign issue- for or against. No matter what your private behavior is, you still have civil rights as an American citizen. Your behavior, however, has no guarantee of protection, though I don't think you need a gun to practice sodomy in most states. There are much more important issues for President Bush to deal with then chasing down people performing sex acts at home.

User Detail :  

Name : Michael, Gender : M, Age : 30, City : Manassas, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : History teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Priscilla30266
    Participant
    Thank God I'm here in Australia!

User Detail :  

Name : Priscilla30266, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 23, City : Sydney, State : NA Country : Australia, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Rhiannon
    I've been saying the same thing about a minority uprising - especially after the incidents of African Americans being discouraged from voting in Florida, and the media playing this down. Most whites are ignorant about how angry many minorities are (and why, in my opinion, most of this anger is justified). People like W want to pretend we're all 'colorblind' and that everyone is equal now. I'm a little more optimistic than you, Alma, because I hope that with as little legitimacy as he has, and as little brains as he has, W won't be able to get a shred of work done, and we'll wind up with a lesser evil like Gore for 20 years. As for gay rignts issues, my heart is with you. Despite all the progress we've made in the last few years, too many people don't think there's anything wrong with discriminating against gays.

User Detail :  

Name : Rhiannon, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 29, City : Eden Prairie, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Professor, Social class : Middle class, 

Gene
    It's ironic that many on the right have been arming themselves for the past eight years (fearing Clinton's agendas) and now there are those from the left (not meaning you; you're not the first one I've heard mention this) who are doing the same thing out of fear of Bush's agendas. I think it's already clear, now that Bush has won and has named several black/women Cabinet choices, that the fear-mongering by leaders like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton is not justified. In fact, records show Bush had a higher percentage of minority votes in his re-election as Governor of Texas than he did his first election. That means, at the very least, he did not alienate himself from minorities. Try to look past the 'left/right' thing, as well as the Democrat/Republican issues, and give him a chance. There are radicals and extremists on both ends of the scale. Even though we may have differences of opinions, there is no reason for the majority of Americans to fear each other. By the way, I am already armed, and would only consider using my weapon as a last means of self-defense. Most responsible gun owners would encourage you to purchase a gun, as long as you get the proper training on how and when to use it. And lastly, can someone explain to me how violent crime has risen 11 percent in Australia, even though they have outlawed handguns?

User Detail :  

Name : Gene, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Southern Baptist, Age : 35, City : Jefferson City, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : Clergy, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

kenny on
    No one knows what's going to happen next, but we can assume (guess) what might happen in the future. The possibilities you have described can happen during George W. Bush's presidency in order to carry out his wills and beliefs. The only thing that bothers me is that we don't know exactly what his wills and beliefs are. The events that will shape our future are happening now - guided by people who, in their attempts to resolve social conflicts, make crucial decisions. Those decisions are sometimes in favor of only certain groups, and powerless people are only victims. I worry about them, same as you do. However, I believe we have the greatest potential because we are the majority. And we proved it.

User Detail :  

Name : kenny on, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Age : 19, City : mt. vernon, State : IA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Lisa J.
    Participant
    You really don't have to worry. I don't like Bush, but do you really think black people are going to go out and do that? I'm confused. Did this happen when Reagan was president? You should give black people a little more credit.

User Detail :  

Name : Lisa J., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 28, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

justin27062
    Participant
    I don't think there'll be a 'minority uprising'; Bush got 34% of the black vote, after all. The openly anti-gay agenda is another thing, but did you think that Gore would be effectivly pro-gay? Rev. David 'God Hates Fags' Phelps used to be his campain funds raiser, when he was senator, and he signed the anti-gay 'Defence of Marriage' act. Overall, I think we can expect more of the same: civil rights being trampled over, the rich getting richer, the poor getting poorer, a phenominon that increased by over 500% during 8 years of Clinton/Gore. Do you remember when the Dems' catch phrase was 'CHANGE' from Republican policy? How did you vote? Buy a small, portable handgun, get trained on it, and get a license (They already require licencing, I don't know what the anti-gun people are talking about). Not because you'll need it anymore than you did four years ago, but because it's your right and, some might say for the same reasons you inferred, it's your responsibility as a free woman.

User Detail :  

Name : justin27062, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Atheist, Age : 26, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : data entry, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Erin25263
    Participant
    to reply to that question i really don't think that we will go back to a time when the United States was like that. I am not sure how we could. Espicially in todays world when that is already such a big problem I don't think that anyone wants to make it a bigger problem by going back to that way of life.

User Detail :  

Name : Erin25263, City : David City, State : NE Country : United States, 

Annette-Al-Maamari
    Participant
    I think maybe you have over exaggerated the impact that bush would have on society as we know it. This country has basically lost most moral and cultural integrity that it ever possessed, and perhaps we wouldn't have the horrible things happening today ( such as all the kids taking guns to school and killing people) if some of those values were brought back....such as respect? As far as your comment about buying a gun...well, the only reason that you will have the right to buy, keep and perhaps carry is BECAUSE of good ole bush

User Detail :  

Name : Annette-Al-Maamari, City : Davison, State : MI Country : United States, 
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.