Why treat us deafies with contempt?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Why do hearing people treat us deafies like we are not fit for their society? They act like they want nothing to do with us. They get aggravated with us. Or they attempt to talk louder, slower and with wider mouth movement. What gives?

User Detail :  

Name : Kimberly B., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Deaf, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 48, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Finance, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ann L. Lowenstein
    Participant
    If it makes you feel any better, these jerks most likely behave the same way toward people who don't speak English. Now, that said, generalizing and stereotyping are not fit behavior, even if you are deaf. 'Every' hearing person doesn't mistreat the deaf, and some hearing people may not understand that 'deaf' means 'can't hear' as opposed to 'hard of hearing', so they may sincerely believe you will understand them if they speak louder, more slowly, etc. Ignorance is not intolerance, and as for the jerks, I'd advise blowing them off, preferably by smiling, shaking your head in a pitying fashion, and walking away.

User Detail :  

Name : Ann L. Lowenstein, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Animist, Age : 37, City : K.C., State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Administrative Assistant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Laurie
    Participant
    I'm really sorry to hear that some hearing people are treating you with contempt. How aggravating. I don't know the details of how they act when they act aggravated with you or like they want nothing to do with you. But I do know that talking louder, slower or with wider mouth movements is not an act of contempt. It is actually an attempt to connect with you, to be communicating with you. Since some hearing people have not been around deaf people before, they are doing the best that they can think of, without having been instructed, even though on the receiving end, it is a pain. If you are feeling up to it, you can educate the hearing person on how you would prefer to be communicated with.

User Detail :  

Name : Laurie, Gender : Female, Age : 56, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, 
    There are different degrees of deafness just as their are different degrees of blindness. My grandfather was legally blind but could still see out of a small area. I just went to a performance put on by students who attend a school for the deaf and two of those students could actually hear a little with hearing aids but you had to talk slowly and a bit louder than normal. My guess is that they talk louder, slower and with wider mouth movements in an attempt to allow you to lip read what they're saying since they don't know sign language. Most people don't know that only about 30% of the English language can be lip read and even more don't know any sign language. Love and Light, Rev. Shelly

User Detail :  

Name : ShellyStrauss Rollison, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : New Age/Metaphysical, Age : 49, City : New Alexandria, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Minister, writer, activist, CNA, draftsman, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.