Why don’t foreigners follow our customs?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Andrew
    Participant
    There's a difference between maintaining a semblance of one's own culture, as almost all immigrants do, and following the customs of the place you visit or now live. To the extent that a nation of immigrants can have a 'common' culture, newer immigrants follow it. They vote. They send their kids to school. They work in mainstream jobs. They learn English. They pay taxes. They drive on the right side of the road, and drive a lot. If you're expecting all new immigrants or foreign tourists to act like straight, male, middle-class network engineers, I think that's unrealistic.

User Detail :  

Name : Andrew, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Huntington, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Reporter, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Nicholas F.
    Participant
    When visiting another country, we as Americans, are expected to follow the customs of that country as much as possible. Why is it, then, that when people from other countries come here, we are still expected to accede to their customs? Why do we never insist, as they do, that our customs be followed, especially if they are coming here permanently?

User Detail :  

Name : Nicholas F., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Human, Religion : Catholic, Age : 38, City : Panorama City, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Network Engineer, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

jim30722
    Participant
    'Contempt' for the visitor is the answer. We want to be loved & 'feel good'. Other countries don't give a damn. They have a higher degree of interest in self-preservation than we do. I too have been there & done that.

User Detail :  

Name : jim30722, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, City : columbia, State : SC Country : United States, Occupation : eng., 

Lucy22621
    Participant
    The United States was founded on the principles of personal freedom. This means that in this country, people are free to live as they choose within the framework of our laws. This includes the freedom to practice customs brought over from other countries. The United States has so many different cultures that it is imposible to define a set of "American" customs. The customs that are practiced by the people in my area may seem totally foreign to people in other parts of the country, yet we are all Americans.

User Detail :  

Name : Lucy22621, Gender : F, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 25, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kent26462
    Participant
    Sorry, but you seem to be mistaken. Noone in another country acts like the native people. I know that from meeting many Americans in Australia. They think Australia is just like America, but we have tottally different values on many social issues - equality, lack of pretentiousness, irony, etc. In America, I know I am well short of American values. I don't set out to upset anyone, but I do not know New York speak! And in a bar, I am out of touch completely. I would have to live in New York for eighteen months to understand its culture. In travelling, we need to act like ourselves at home, but look for cues in the local environment. There is nothing else we can do...

User Detail :  

Name : Kent26462, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Episcopalian, City : Melbourne, State : NA Country : Australia, Occupation : Executive, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Alec
    Participant
    I don't know what you're talking about. In my experience, it is always the other way around. Whenever the vast majority of Americans travel, they expect the other culture to speak English to them. When a country is a bit more reluctant, such as the French, they get a reputation for being jerks. However, when a foreigner visits the US, (s)he is expected to know English fluently. No one here bothers to learn another language like citizens of most other countries do.

User Detail :  

Name : Alec, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 18, City : n/a, State : WI Country : United States, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Astorian23529
    Participant
    Actually, "foreigners" often observe that Americans are the ones who show no respect for the customs of others. For example, most Europeans are multilingual, but Americans rarely learn other languages and expect everyone else around the world to speak English.

User Detail :  

Name : Astorian23529, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 38, City : Austin, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Programmer, 

James
    In my experience, foreigners visiting or moving to the United States adapt to your customs. I see them tip when tipping is not done in their culture. I see them queue up (get in line) when that isn't done at all in their homeland. I see them eat with knife and fork when that isn't customary in their culture.

User Detail :  

Name : James, City : Melbourne, State : FL Country : United States, 

Lisa22754
    Participant
    Firstly,I have traveled in Southeast Asia and Europe for extended periods, studying Thai and Danish cultures. Asia is a place where many Europeans and Australians vacation, but there are few Americans. Most people think only Americans can be 'ugly', but I had an opportunity to observe just how 'ugly' Europeans and Australians can be when traveling in Asia. ALL foreigners blunder when not in their own culture. From what I have seen traveling, Americans raised in larger cities are the only people who even try to understand or accept other cultures. We DO learn other languages, just only when they will be useful. Americans next to Mexico, like myself, learn Spanish. What's the point to learning French if you live in Iowa? For those two weeks in your life you spend in Paris? To answer the question, America is socially rigid, but not as rigid as any other country on Earth. Most Americans are curious about other cultures and try to learn a little about them because we have been raised with different cultures everywhere. People in other countries are used to everyone doing it their way. However, from what I have seen, when they move to America they do WANT to 'fit in', but this is more difficult than it looks.

User Detail :  

Name : Lisa22754, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 24, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Researcher Analyst, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Sameer
    Have you heard of an American women covered up in a vail like muslems by force just because she visited or lived in a muslem country. No way. will you be forced to smoke Arkili ( traditoinal tobacco in the middle east ) if you decide to move to say Syria. No way If you live in South Africa, can you imagine your self running naked in the woods just because some of them are that way. No way My friend, every body come to USA for the freedom and let it be for ever that way or else you might find your self force to follow some custom from the Phillipins or from Syria Who knows ( heh God forbid and....God Bless America.

User Detail :  

Name : Sameer, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 35, City : Burbank, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Retail/Liquor/Convenience, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Sharon S
    Participant
    Have you ever traveled outside the U.S.? It is my experience in all of my travels and in talking with my relatives who live in other countries, that Americans can usually be picked out by their loud demands and generally rude behaviour - as I'm sure that this does not include all American travelers , it is unfortunate that it is a generalization at all!

User Detail :  

Name : Sharon S, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 52, City : Cary, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Self-Employed, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Marianne
    Participant
    I don't really think that if you are visiting Switzerland you're going to learn German, especially not Swiss German. You don't have to do the same things in a foreign country as the inhabitants do. Of course, you have to respect their customs, sometimes because of religious reasons. Every time I travel to the United States, I recognize that some Americans are not very helpful if you don't speak the language. But I have to respect that. English is the national language, so either I speak English or I am lucky and I find someone who is patient enough to explain it to me.

On the other hand, as an immigrant, you should at least learn the language. That is a favor for themselves and also for the inhabitants. In addition, my opinion is that everybody has the right to continue his or her own culture, as long as it is not something illegal, such as female circumcision or eating dogs, and things like that.

User Detail :  

Name : Marianne, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 21, City : Zurich, State : NA Country : Switzerland, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Chris32198
    Participant
    I find that most foreign visitors to the United States are aware of and do follow American customs. I cannot say the same for Americans abroad, who tend to expect everyone to speak English and do not bother to learn about other cultures or etiquette. I suppose this is changing, but still, we Americans tend to be very ethnocentric.

User Detail :  

Name : Chris32198, Gender : F, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 41, City : Tel-Aviv, State : NA Country : Israel, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

sheena27950
    Participant
    it seems to me that america lacks it's own culture. if there is it's blurry. the only real tradition around me is family. maybe i'm wrong, i dunno.

User Detail :  

Name : sheena27950, Gender : F, Religion : Pagan, Age : 17, City : small village, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.