Why don’t Muslims speak against violence?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Dorothy R.
    Participant
    Why don't we hear from moderate or conservative Muslims in this country and around the world speaking against actions of the fanatical few?

User Detail :  

Name : Dorothy R., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Congregationalist, Age : 83, City : Greenville, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : artist, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

therocdoc24750
    Participant
    Evil cannot cast out evil!

User Detail :  

Name : therocdoc24750, City : aurora, State : CO Country : United States, 

Umm-Z
    Participant
    We ARE speaking out, with ferocity and vigor. It's just that you (along with many other people who share your feelings) are not listening. Muslims hate their religion to be maligned and misrepresented, whether it is people from within the religion or outside of it, and we defend our religion.

If you are wondering why many of us do not appear on TV or talk shows, it is simple: we shun images in our religion because it is forbidden (the Muslims you see on TV are, simply put, sinning, or ignorant, but still sinning nonetheless).

In any case, the amount of information to be found on Muslims condemning terrorism and violence is much more abundant in written form and recorded form (voice) than in visual form.

If you would like to know what we have to say, here is a link to a good website that includes some of the major scholars in our religion who speak out against terrorism and those who perpetrate it: http://www.fatwa-online.com/worship/jihaad/jih004/index.htm

This is only a fraction of a fraction of what we say about terror and terrorists.

User Detail :  

Name : Umm-Z, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Muslim, City : York, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : homemaker, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Umbreen
    I think it's a two-part answer. First, we as Muslims are, unfortunately, not presently as organized and outspoken in the media as we would like to be. Second, you would be hard-pressed to find the media covering any Muslim group speaking out against terrorism. I hope readers understand that Islam is a religion that follows closely the same tenets found in the Ten Commandments, e.g. no stealing, lying, murdering, etc. We believe in one God and the concept of peace. The majority of Muslims do not condone the horrific acts of violence committed in the name of our religion by insane fanatics and terrorists. We mourn the loss of any life that is innocently taken.

User Detail :  

Name : Umbreen, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Religion : Muslim, Age : 38, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Management, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

bj tillman
    There are lots of Muslim organizations that speak out against Muslim extremist/terrorist violence. Islam is founded on principles of peace. One of the most notable is CAIR, the Council on American Islamic Relations. Check out their website and also check out www.islamonline.net.

Just a few words from a fellow Christian. peace, bj

User Detail :  

Name : bj tillman, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 35, City : philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Technical, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Vail24480
    Participant
    I recall instances of Muslim groups and organizations doing just that. I know a Muslim guy I work with denounces this fanaticism and asks that we not think they are all that way. As usual, the bad boy gets all the attention.

User Detail :  

Name : Vail24480, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : mixed race, Religion : Atheist, Age : 40, City : Philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Joe
    Participant
    Muslims in Phoenix have tried to organize such efforts, but it's hard. In my experience, the forward nature of the current violence has taken the day-to-day Muslim community by as much surprise as anyone else.

There is a real feeling of brotherhood among all Muslims, making it quite difficult to sort all this out; i.e., if someone in your own family becomes guilty of a heinous crime it's next to impossible to immediately cry out against their guilt.

User Detail :  

Name : Joe, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 55, City : Mesa, State : AZ Country : United States, Occupation : Steamfitter, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

David
    Participant
    Muslims don't speak out against violence because they LOVE IT. Also, they have a predisposition to pretermit other races and cultures. I say that the entire world should never buy a drop of oil from those freaking towel-heads and send them back two centuries to being camel jockies. I mean, what's there besides oil, sand, and violent sand people? Get your AK-47s out and shoot to the sky...real cool, fags.

User Detail :  

Name : David, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White (not from Caucasus), Religion : Christian, Age : 26, City : Memphis, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Earl P.
    Participant
    If you ARE speaking out and few hear, you better redouble your efforts to get your message out. News reporters are not blind. Encourage your Islamic press editors to speak out in print. The media was nearly thunder-struck when an Egyptian editor recently decried the violence in Arab countries. If you want a peaceful world, and what moderate doesen't, make your voices HEARD loud and clear. DO MORE to get your words in print.

User Detail :  

Name : Earl P., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 68, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : retired, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

R. Collins
    I was raised as a Christian and converted (or 'reverted') to Islam in 1998. In my experience, American Muslims (two-thirds of whom are either immigrants from the 'Islamic world,' or the children of immigrants) are less likely than American Christians to condone violence for the advancement of the faith. This is not to condemmn Christians; I believe only a fraction of 1% of them are violent in the manner of Eric Rudolph. I am only saying that among Muslims, it is an even smaller fraction of 1%. Why does it appear otherwise? There are a few reasons: 1. Muslims are a minority that still seems strange and foreign to the majority (much as Jews seemed to other Americans in the early 20th century - and still are, to a few bigots). When a member of the majority slaughters innocent people (e.g. the Murrah Building in Oklahoma City), everyone is suitably frightened, yet they also understand that it was an aberration, and no one asks why the Christian leaders failed to condemn it. When a member of a minority slaughters innocent people, only then does it occur to the majority that this extreme act might represent the opinion of most minority people. Then a statement of condemnation is called for. 2. Islam is not a hierarchical religion. There is no single central authority that speaks on behalf of all the Muslims, just loose networks of congregations that freely associate with each other - a little like the traditional Baptist way of doing things, before the Southern Baptist Convention became so powerful. The only authority we all recognize is God (Allah), the Qur'an, and the legacy of the prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him). I imagine it would be a little easier for us to soothe the fears of non-Muslims if there were some sort of arch-leader whom we were all supposed to obey. But that is not how we do things: Our global community is diverse and decentralized, but united by shared belief and nearly identical forms of worship. (Until 1920 there was a khalifah, or 'successor' to Muhammad, who was the nominal commander of all Muslims, but in practice his authority was always extremely limited.) 3. As someone else mentioned, Muslims in America have not learned how to get our message across through the media. [continued...]

User Detail :  

Name : R. Collins, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Muslim, Age : 39, City : Birmingham, State : AL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

ib21361
    Participant
    Muslims are happy to speak out and say that their religion is anything BUT terrorist-oriented. The only problem is that the media desperately needs a bad guy, and Muslims have to take the rap :(. As for appearing on television, I don't think it's sinning to do so because television is a form of education as well, and Muslims on television spreading word about their religion should be considered a good thing. Islam encourages education of all kinds, as long as that education doesn't overtake a Muslim's need for his own, religious education. Basically, religious education is a priority, but other education doesn't lag behind either. That's why I don't think it's a sin for Muslims to appear on television, it's important because the media has distorted Islam through television, so Muslims should let people get the facts right through television as well. Muslims do try to organise themselves, but for some reason, they don't get great coverage through the media... I guess they really need a scrap dog, don't they?

User Detail :  

Name : ib21361, City : Auckland, State : NA Country : New Zealand, 

Jerry D
    Participant
    The simple answer is that Islam is a terrible religion founded on subjugation of women, killing of all 'Infidels' i.e. non muslims, lying (it's in the Quar'an) and intolerant of anything or anyone not a Muslim or of the Islamic religion. Don't be fooled by their 'peace' rhetoric it's all smoke and mirrors. Two informative sites: http://www.answering-islam.org.uk/index.html especially the section on Islam and terrorism and http://www.yahoodi.com/peace/palestinians.html section on Jihad, apostasy, and killing infidels.

User Detail :  

Name : Jerry D, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 63, City : Marco Island, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Retired, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Wayne
    The first two paragraphs speak out, that's for certain ! Seems the definition of 'speaking out' is even altered to accommodate the chosen means to and end ..? Speaking out with ferocity...with vigor ..? You see, this is exactly the point ... speaking out by 'your kind, with your feelings ..' as you described the question writer, not only does NOT address the simple, civilized question, but reinforces the deep hatred, the unchecked determined committal to have us 'hear' you..? Is it not understandable, then, that our hearing, by manipulated definition as well, then becomes counter.., i.e., counter-terrorism and counter-defense..? Who then, under the above chosen definitions, caused the activity which she, the author of such hatred, passes off her agreed to violence-as-the-means attitude, then tells us we aren't hearing ..?? Yes - we hear your 'voice' .. clearly, and see what that 'voice' speaks each day, somewhere in the global community ...that voice shouting its demise, its misunderstood and peace-loving ways, its civilized voice of reason, begging us to understand and condone - that voice which kills, maims and destroys as its lanuage ! Incidently..the writer says it is not permitted to be on TV, to be on radio, etc., etc... but it is OK to kill indiscriminately ..?? Imagery, you say, is not permitted ..? Is it it any wonder that the rest of us ..i.e. the 'western' styled peoples ... don't, as you put it, hear you ? If we hear noise by responding with noise, why is then called 'invading', 'illegal', 'unjust' ... or, of course, the usual answer when in doubt ... that we are 'the infidel' ??

User Detail :  

Name : Wayne, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Spiritual Humanitarian., Age : 57, City : Toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : International Mining Ventures, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Tim
    Participant
    I've wondered the same question for years. Until now, I just assumed...well, that's just it. I assumed. Your perspective is both enlightening and encouraging. Your explaination seems valid but may I respectfully add another potential parameter? It doesn't sell. The media will never start their broadcast with 'today, 1,352 planes landed safely.' If one is to unfortunately land prematurely, it leads and bleeds. I truly feel it has become agendized.

User Detail :  

Name : Tim, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 48, City : Roanoke, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Health Care, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Curly
    When the prison scandal was exposed the muslim voice was loud, vocal and visual world wide. More recently the muslim outcry over a marine killing an insurgent who may have been wounded is loud, vocal and visual world wide. Why isn't there the same kind of loud, vocal and visual outcry when someone is beheaded? Why aren't there thousands of muslims screaming in the streets about this kind of violence against people who are just there trying to help rebuild Iraq?

User Detail :  

Name : Curly, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 52, City : Spokane, State : WA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.