Why does the Prez pray?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Dondi M.
    Participant
    I was under the impression the U.S. government and its citizens feel stongly about freedom of religion or freedom from it, and equally strong about the separation of church and state. Yet I was blown away to learn the president participates in a national prayer breakfast. Isn't this a disrespect of the upholding of that separation that should be illegal, or at the very least ethically wrong, especialy when done by the leader of the nation?

User Detail :  

Name : Dondi M., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 27, City : Vancouver, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Systems Administration, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Andrew
    Participant
    Just because he's elected president doesn't mean he has to give up or disavow his religion. He's not saying you or I have to believe in his brand of Christianity. He's not saying his religion is the nation's religion, or the government's religion. Arguing that the president should be allowed to pray in public could be seen as a violation of his own First Amendment rights. Indeed, the purpose of the religion clause of the First Amendment is to guarantee anyone -- even the president, who is a citizen like the rest of us -- the right to practice his or her own religion. The First Amendment can't be used to prevent people from praying as they wish.

User Detail :  

Name : Andrew, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Huntington, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Reporter, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

TR24799
    Participant
    I don't see any problem with a bunch of politicians getting together to pray. Also, the President obviously has to be given the right to participate in religious worship, or his religious freedom would be undermined. I also do not see why people would find it disrespectful. If someone is elected to public office, they should not be required to forsake their faith for their term. That would be disrespectful.

User Detail :  

Name : TR24799, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Mormon, Age : 17, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Jeff B.
    Participant
    The president is shown attending prayer breakfasts and religious services solely because of politics. While this country stands behind its strong belief in the separation of church and state, its voters are predominantly religious and largely Christian. Politicians realize this and are public about their beliefs because voters look at this, even if they don't realize it. The United States may never be ready to elect a president who is either Agnostic or Atheist.

User Detail :  

Name : Jeff B., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 24, City : Lansing, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Mel W.
    Participant
    My guess is this: America is considered by many a religious nation. For example, I often see or hear broadcasts devoted to talking about how the nation was formed on Christian ideals and beliefs (which, by the way, is baloney, because it's not. Look at the political literature of the European Enlightment and compare it to the actions and philosophies of Alexander Hamilton, Thomas Jefferson, the various Adams, etc. Christianity had nothing to do with it.)

Every president has claimed a religious affiliation (always Christian) or participated in some sort of religious activity publicly, I guess to perpetuate this idea and as a symbol of the value system this country was supposedly built on.

Then again, the President might be trying to gain the political support of Protestants (who are supposed to make up 93 percent of this country) for the rest of his term. He lost a lot of "right-wing Christian" support over the entire impeachment thing.

So either way, politically, it's evidently OK. But yes, it is a major violation of the separation of church and state idea (which, sorry to say, is another bit of baloney; look up the Supreme Court decisions on Humanism and Eastern meditation in public schools.) That would make it ethically wrong if the premise of a separated church and state was correct, but no more wrong than George W. Bush, the governor of Texas, announcing during an interview that he is a Christian. The main point, I think, is that the prayer breakfast is more an aspect of the President's personal life, and his public figure status allows the line between his private and professional affairs and events to blur a great deal. If the president wants to participate in a prayer breakfast, it breaks no laws and violates nothing, because the president's prayer is a religious practice, and religion generally is considered an aspect of someone's private life. We can't force the president to stop praying or the governor to become an atheist simply because they are public officials - that violates the freedom of religion clause in the Bill of Rights, which this nation has adhered to very well, I think.

User Detail :  

Name : Mel W., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 18, City : Denver, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Roberta G.
    Please explain to me just how the separation of church and state is violated when the President of the United States-or any other elected official-participates in a prayer breakfast. If public funds are not used in supporting such activity, it is no more a violation than if he were to attend a Hindu wedding. The president doesn't forfeit his right to practice his religion as he sees fit simply by virtue of his office. In Clinton's case, however, I'm sure he attends this prayer breakfast out of political expediency, rather than sincere belief.

User Detail :  

Name : Roberta G., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 38, City : Stafford, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Formerly cashier, now homemaker, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

M-Kemper22532
    Participant
    The Constitution prohibits the U.S. government from establishing a "state religion." It does not prohibit members of the government from openly practicing their own religious beliefs (even if you can seriously question the motivation of the current President). As long as members of government keep the line between their private beliefs and public duties clear, I see no ethical problems. However, with the religious fervor present in America today, this line is very easily ignored by politicians looking for their next re-election.

User Detail :  

Name : M-Kemper22532, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Unitarian, Age : 30, City : Tampa, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Debbi
    Participant
    maybe it is because he knows that the Ultimate Help and Answers will come from God.

User Detail :  

Name : Debbi, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 32, City : San Antonio, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Sales/ministry, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Bren
    Participant
    Just because the government should stay separate from the church, the President shouldn't have to give up his beliefs. But the abuse of separation of church and state goes much further than the President saying a prayer. According to the Pledge of Allegience, still said daily in public schools, we are 'One nation, under God'. And recently a bill was passed allowing the 10 Commandments to be posted in government buildings. If, at 25 years old I'm learning from this that I'm not considered part of our nation and that my religious beliefs don't matter because they don't match others, I can only imagine what young people must feel.

User Detail :  

Name : Bren, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 25, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Day Care Director, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Rico
    I guess I don't understand your hang-up. Clinton did whatever he wanted in the Oval Office, and that didn't bother the majority of liberals. You must agree that a praying president, George W., is more Eithical than Bill Clinton.

User Detail :  

Name : Rico, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Religious Science, Age : 21, City : Buckhorn, State : NE Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, 
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.