Why can’t Christians just leave people alone?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Pius-Augustine
    Participant
    Explaining why Christians believe they and they alone have the truth would take far more space than is allowed here. I can only speak for traditional Catholicism, a fundamental tenet of which is 'extra ecclesiam nulla salus' --- no salvation outside the (Catholic) Church. 'Modern' Catholics no longer believe this but traditionalists do. I will share my faith, and why we believe this is true, with anyone who cares to hear about it, but all someone has to tell me is 'I don't want to hear that', and I'll pursue it no further. Traditional Catholicism makes no presuppositions about 'different and equal truths for different people' and neither do most orthodox Christian denominations. We're just following the Bible and the 2000-year teaching of the Church. That may sound intolerant, but it is our faith and we believe we are commanded to pursue it that way. It's done out of love, not hatred, and if you were to read the Bible through our eyes, you'd understand that. I would rather risk offending man by sharing my faith than offending God by defying His commission to do precisely that.

User Detail :  

Name : Pius-Augustine, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic Traditionalist, Age : 38, City : Columbia, State : SC Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Leonard
    I grew up in Alabama and constantly had the Christian religion shoved down my throat. They seem to think they have every right to try to convince you they are right, but if you start telling them about your non-Christian faith, they look at you like you committed some horrible crime. People should be able to believe whatever they want, so why do Christians feel they are the only ones with the right to convert people?

User Detail :  

Name : Leonard, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Pagan, Age : 28, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Melinda-Day
    Participant
    I believe Christians are called to share the 'Good News' with others. We have found a personal relationship with Jesus Christ that has given us an excitement we wish to share with others! Sometimes in our zeal, we do tend to go overboard, but that is concern for your soul and excitement not judgement that you see in us. It's like if you collect baseball cards and you get a Babe Ruth rookie card, you don't go hide it, you want everyone to see and share in the valuable thing you have received! Multiply that by a a gazzilion or more! That's what sharing your life with Jesus is all about!

User Detail :  

Name : Melinda-Day, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 33, City : Woodland, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Administrative Assistant, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Tim M.
    Participant
    If you thought you were going to Heaven, and unbelievers would go to Hell, you'd try to convince as many people as possible (for their own sake as well as that of religion). Some people, however, will not be convinced, and their beliefs should be tolerated. Anyway, surely it's better for someone to go around deluded in their belief that they are going to be 'saved', than live a miserable life with death and decay and NO ANSWERS to look forward to...

User Detail :  

Name : Tim M., Religion : Atheist, Age : 22, City : Bagshot, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

M-Kemper22536
    Participant
    Many Christian denominations look at converting non-believers as a basic 'duty' for every Christian. They believe that if you are not 'saved' before the second coming of Christ (Armageddon), you will be eternally damned. As a non-Christian, I have learned to avoid (when possible) conversations that might even hint at my religious beliefs. I am not ashamed of who I am and what I believe, but I have gotten into too many heated debates about religion with Christians who see me as someone to convert, not as someone who has a belief system that I consider to be as legitimate as theirs.

User Detail :  

Name : M-Kemper22536, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Theist, Age : 30, City : Temple Terrace, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Programmer/Systems Analyst, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Mary Ellen
    Participant
    You have a great point. But, I don't think it's just Christians who try to push their beliefs on others. Of course, growing up in the Bible Belt, you will have a lot MORE Christians trying to convert you...I am a Christian myself, always have been. I hate it when anyone tries to push thier beliefs on me. I also try to respect others beliefs, no matter what they are.

User Detail :  

Name : Mary Ellen, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 26, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : Librarian, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Kim
    I am a Christian but understand what you're saying. I was once an athiest, and boy, did people try to shove their religion down my throat. You've just got to understand that that is their faith and Christians are supposed to be witnesses. But personally, I don't believe in shoving any religion down anyone's throat. It will probably do more harm than good. I think people should respect everyone's beliefs/faith. Not all Christians are like that. When people did that to me, I know now they just cared for me. I think if you are happy and comfortable with your beliefs, all power to you.

User Detail :  

Name : Kim, Gender : F, City : Knoxville, State : TN Country : United States, 

Teresa C.
    Participant
    Also, when one feels the need to force one's religion down another's throat, it signifies that one doesn't have faith in one's own God - it shows that whoever is doing the forcing doesn't believe his/her own God has the power to save. Forcing is completely different from sharing, however, and the latter is done with a welcome recipient.

User Detail :  

Name : Teresa C., Gender : F, Race : Asian, Religion : Christian, City : Rockville, State : MD Country : United States, 

Nancy
    Participant
    Christians believe in active recruitment. This is based on the belief that Jesus, just before ascending into Heaven, bade the disciples to go out into the world and spread the word. However, I think Christians can at times be over-enthusiastic with this. You know the old saw "You can lead the horse to water, but can't make him drink?" Well, if the horse is thirsty, he'll drink. People of non-Christian religions who are satisfied with their faiths are drinking out of a different river than are Christians. Christians should try to reach the "thirsty horses." And what about me? I don't recruit at all! I see a bigger picture. For example, I don't worry about Jews not believing in Jesus. Why not? They're God's chosen people; this is part of Christian belief. Will God "unchoose" his people just because they don't believe in Jesus? I doubt it. I think the Deity's plan actually includes everybody and s/he is much more merciful than we can imagine. And people who believe in the Goddess ... maybe the Deity is female; how do we know? My own belief is that the supreme being includes both genders. Whether s/he is called "God" or "Goddess" depends on the culture. Christians, Jews and Muslims have a God, while other societies may have a Goddess. But it's still the Supreme Being.

User Detail :  

Name : Nancy, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, City : Tucson, State : AZ Country : United States, 

Don
    Participant
    It's unfortunate that people have forced their beliefs on you. That's hardly fair; in fact, it's cultic. I read that you're Semitic; does that mean Jewish? If that is the case, I think your faith is mostly passed by blood, that is, you are born into it and few are 'converted.' For Christians, their faith is more available by a process known to us as being born again. This is something Jesus plainly explained to the Jews of His time. Some people overreact to this transition as if they'd found a large sum of money: as in ya gotta tell someone. Some people get hyperactive about it. It has annoyed me, too, and even come across as fake. I hate that. What has worked for me and should work for you as well is to brush up on the argumentative one's beliefs so you don't go to blows empty-headed. Know their game at their level and make them answer your every question. This will simply blow away the superficial opponent, thus freeing you of one more pest. The others should enjoy the challenge, and in the meantime you enjoy healthy competition. People should reccognize that you're about truth and not b.s.; life's too short for that.

User Detail :  

Name : Don, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Christian, Age : 31, City : San Diego, State : CA Country : CA, Occupation : College Senior, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Mark D.
    Participant
    We Christians are convinced we have truly experienced something real and life-changing: Jesus Christ, the Son of God - the only answer to the human predicament. Those who have experienced this cannot but talk about it. I am sorry you have felt Christianity 'shoved down your throat.' I believe Christians should look at and identify with the person of Christ as described in the Bible. He never shoved anything down anyone's throat - his attitude was always one of love and compassion, and it would be good if Christians (myself included) would use this as a starting point when sharing their beliefs. However, Christians are not perfect people. The Apostle Paul talks in Philippians 1:15-18 about preaching Christ for the wrong reasons and concludes, 'The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached...' Those whose behavior you resent may have their human failings, but they have nevertheless fulfilled the responsibility toward you to 'preach Christ.' Take him or leave him - accept those people as they are or reject them totally (in my belief, at your peril).

User Detail :  

Name : Mark D., Gender : M, City : Belgrade, State : NA Country : Yugoslavia, 

Kristina
    I consider myself a Christian, but those type of 'holy-rolies' get on my nerves too. Not only do they push their religion in everyone's throat, but they are annoying to unorthodox Christians (such as myself) who may have different philosophical views towards their faith. Why Christians do this has to do with the basis of their religion; the Bible says that Jesus is the 'way the truth and the light' it is only through Him you can attain salvation. For this reason, you must actively 'mission' to others and reveal the Good News to nonbelievers. Christianity is not a religion that allows room for intepretation when it comes to the belief in Jesus. In fact different Christian sects may still argue with one another because of this fact (for instance Protestants not agreeing with Catholics). Christians believe that is the faith alone in Jesus that determines salvation. Technically, you could be as Adolf Hitler and kill millions of people, but if you at some point profess true faith in Christ you will go to heaven. On the reverse side, you could be a Buddhist monk who is like an angel among humans -- you could perform good works for others, self-sacrifice, and etc. But becuase you don't believe in Christ as God, you will go to hell. Christians do indeed know these contraditions, but because 'the Bible says' Christ is God, they MUST adhere and others must to. But please don't get the impression that all Christians act in this manner. There are many of us who are more 'liberal' (such as myself). Christians such as this will still voice their opinion on their faith (I for example will tell people why I believe God and Christ are real), but are very open-minded in accepting other faiths. I don't discriminate even among atheists. I mean, atheism does make me feel a little uncomfortable, because I feel the idea of God existing seems so obvious (especially with how complex the world is), but since I realize that God can not officially be proven, I know that I may not have the right 'answer'. If atheism seems to be an appropriate choice for a person, then it's really none of my business. I am the type that feels religion is one's own journey, and God (or whatever type of divinity you believe in) will guide you to what is best for you.

User Detail :  

Name : Kristina, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 20, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : Transcriber, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Michael20696
    Participant
    I know there is a command somewhere in the Bible that believers are to go out, and preach the Good Word. Christians: you guys should be familiar with your holy book. What were the book, chapter and verse of any such decree?

User Detail :  

Name : Michael20696, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : bi-curious (mostly straight), Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 20, City : Livingston, State : LA Country : United States, Occupation : undergrad, Education level : 2 Years of College, 
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.