Why are they so ugly?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Dan27291
    Participant
    There are a lot of white supremacists in my part of town, so I'm somewhat familiar with its various subcultures. Basically, (Nazi) skinhead girls desire to be as 'hard' as their male counterparts. The haircut is to designate them as skins, and is kept short so it can't be pulled in a fight, yet the bangs are kept to designate that they are females. They engage in the same activities as the guys, so the resulting experiences give them a rough appearance. Also, the strife and abuse that goes with this lifestyle also takes its toll. Yet in the various churches I've been to, I've met girls who look just like the proverbial 'girl next door', and I would be quite suprised when they would tell me that they used to be skinhead girls before they straightened out. However, I do think that some of the girls that are traditional skins (non-racist/apolitical, based on 1960s skinheads from England) are pretty.

User Detail :  

Name : Dan27291, Gender : M, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : L.A. area, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Rob S.
    I have watched films about Nazi Skinheads like 'Romper Stomper,' 'Pirah' and 'American History X.' All those films have one thing in common: Why are the girlfriends of the Skinheads so pigging ugly all the time? Punkish short haircuts, raggish clothes, dirty filthy faces and about as much feminism in them as Lou Ferrigno (in looks and attitude).

User Detail :  

Name : Rob S., Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 24, City : Poole, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : na, 

SR28461
    Participant
    I've seen Romper Stomper and American History X and thought that a lot of the chicks were cute. You ask why they have short hair and raggedy clothes...well, it's tradition for skinhead chicks to cut their hair like that (just like it's tradition for the guys to shave their heads). The skinhead girls I've met haven't been too raggedy; the ones around here wear little plaid skirts and big Fred Perrys. Skinheads like to fight though, and I'd guess that most people do look pretty ragged after that. And movies dramatize a lot, anyway.

User Detail :  

Name : SR28461, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 22, City : Austin, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : student, 

Anonymous
    Participant
    Well, first of all to ask why a skinhead girl would have 'short-punkish hair' is pretty simple. 'SKIN' head, as in no hair... female skinheads generally wear a 'fringe' which is very short all around but has longer hair around the face. If you are asking why Nazi skinheads' 'movie girlfriends' are ugly, they were obviously cast that way. I mean you wouldn't cast Sydney Poitier as a street thug, you'd cast someone who's looks matched the movie personality. In real life many skinhead girls might not appeal (physically) to the mainstream. People have style preferences. In real life, though, the 'girls' of skinheads (I don't just mean Nazi Skinheads here) are not what you necessarily see in the movies... just like the rest of life isn't necessarily what you seen in movies. I am the wife of a skinhead and I am VERY feminine and considered to be attractive. I have a clean face, no raggish clothes. What you're seeing is the movies. It's just a part of somebody else's imagination.

User Detail :  

Name : Anonymous, Gender : F, Age : 26, City : Southern, State : NJ Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 
    Making a group of people looking ugly, no matter if we appreciate their attitudes or not, is a 'NAZI'-like behaviour itself. The rule is: Identify the minorities attributes, make them looking ugly and tell everybody by that these are the 'enemies', which are causing the problems. It only shows, that wrong behaviour is in almost all of us, we just don't agree to this, and don't want to know it. Your comment is very good!

User Detail :  

Name : Dach, Karl-Heinz, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Catholic, Age : 59, City : Mannheim, State : NA Country : Germany, Social class : Middle class, 

Dan27163
    Participant
    They're into some rough stuff. The punkish haircuts (bangs remaining, the rest buzzed off) is the female compliment to a bald head. They're also pressured to fight and get down and dirty... broken noses that didn't set right, scars, permanently swollen eyes, missing teeth, cut up lips, broken cheek bones, you name it. Also, it's a rough lifestyle... imagine it being similar to that of biker chicks who go several days without a shower while on the road. With the ugliness thing... well, you know how kids pick on those whom they view as ugly; racist skingirls generally have rotten self esteem, and years of being picked on may have driven them to it. Funny thing though, I've known a few former racist skin girls who got straightened out, and after they cleaned up and grew their hair out, they became dead ringers for the All American Girl. Go figure, eh? :-)

User Detail :  

Name : Dan27163, Gender : M, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Pentecostal Christian, Age : 21, City : L.A. area, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Lower middle class, 

tamara24836
    Participant
    out of the three movies you named, ive only seen american history x. my opinion on it is that the men in the movie were also in ragish clothes and dirty. takeing ed nortons character for example, in the flash back portions of the movie, he was rude, dressed in the stereotypical 'skinhead' outfit (pants and a white 'wife beater' style tank top and boots). it is only my conclusion that said girlfriends are only following lead of the culture. i think that the girlfriends' behaviour is just more scrutinized because of the general stereotypes society puts on women. they are supposed to be prim and proper and polite while men are left to be dressed comfortably and boisterous.

User Detail :  

Name : tamara24836, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 18, City : st catharines, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : unemployed, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, 

jh
    Participant
    I think that making them physically ugly is a metaphor to the ugliness of their character and personality. It is something that you see often in the film industry, because they know that people buy into stereotypes easily. It's like the smart, nerdy-looking kid, or the 'dumb' jocks, it's just more believable when the face matches the character. hope that helps!

User Detail :  

Name : jh, City : smalltown, ON, State : NA Country : Canada, 
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.