Why all the talk about sun block?

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author

Lin
    Participant
    Hi Christine, Even though you have dark skin, you should still wear sun block to protect your skin from the ultra violet rays. Our ozone layer is depleting at an alarming rate and the suns rays can damage your skin and ultimately cause serious skin cancers; even if you are black. So slather on the sun block and protect yourself. Good luck with your track!

User Detail :  

Name : Lin, City : London, State : NA Country : Canada, 

Asia D.
    Participant
    Im from Arizona everyone in Arizona wears sunblock regardless of your skin color. I've gotten sun burned and I have dark skin. It doesnt matter what race you are you can still burn and it hurts. You wear the stuff if you care about your skin health. I dont want skin cancer so whenever I leave the house I leave with sunblock on.

User Detail :  

Name : Asia D., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Seventh-Day Adventist, Age : 21, City : Phoenix, State : AZ Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Pookie
    Participant
    Younger people tend to be very concerned with the way they look, and for white people, the tan look is in. Your teammates are probably a little self-absorbed. Even if they spend 23 hours a day in the sun; no one needs to make sunblock and tanning a constant source of conversation. No doubt you get tired of hearing about it.

User Detail :  

Name : Pookie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 28, City : Bristol, State : IN Country : United States, Occupation : court reporter, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Rachel
    Participant
    Sun is very harmful to people, including people of color. Pale-skinned people burn very easily in the sun -- for some of us 20 minutes is long enough to have a very painful and very damaging burn. Continuous exposure to sun's rays will cause skin cancer. It's a very real concern for many people. Two of my children are biracial and while they have a nice caramel color, they too will burn without sunblock.

User Detail :  

Name : Rachel, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 36, City : Niagara-on-the-Lake, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Homemaker, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Damon28643
    Participant
    Sun block is not about tanning. It's about blocking the Sun's harmful effects to the skin during long exposures. Skin cancer doesn't distinguish between ethnicity... it can effect anyone. I'm black and I love being outdoors. If I know that I'll be outside for a long period of time on a sunny day, I always put on sun block.

User Detail :  

Name : Damon28643, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 30, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Data Processing, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

vnaptural
    Participant
    I'm of african/native american descent and I use sun block. Since the ozone layer is almost deplete, everybody has to use it now. It's supposed to protect you from the harmful rays.

User Detail :  

Name : vnaptural, City : philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, 

Dwanny
    Participant
    you might want to check with a dermatologist to see about the risk of melanoma with your skin color. That's why it's recommended for Caucasians. We don't have high levels of melanin like darker skin types, so we are at risk. Do you wear a watch when you're in the sun? Check under it-you do 'tan'.

User Detail :  

Name : Dwanny, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 53, City : Springtown, State : TX Country : United States, 

Erica
    Participant
    you really should consider sunblock. regardless of skin color uv rays still cause cancer.

User Detail :  

Name : Erica, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 25, City : Alexandria, State : LA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Jade19455
    Participant
    It is more about skin cancer than tanning. Sun block offers (some) UV protection. I would recommed even if you don't tan you wear sun block.

User Detail :  

Name : Jade19455, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Catholic, Age : 18, City : Sydney, State : NA Country : Australia, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper class, 

Lauren
    Participant
    First I would like to say that unless you were miraculously born with Ultra Violet Ray resistant skin I would suggest that you put some of that good 'ole sunblock on yourself since it, you know, blocks the sun(rays). Secondly, I have heard a lot of Caucasian woman speak on their dislike of too fair of skin.They don't like the too pale at all and if they can achieve a near beach tan all year long then they will do it. I have to say this does not bother me at all, I think it's nice that they see the value in color. Just so long as they do not hate themselves or others for not being able to attain this perfect level of tan, I see nothing wrong with it!

User Detail :  

Name : Lauren, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Native American, Black, White, Religion : Non-denominational, Age : 24, City : Rockville, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Tresha
    Participant
    There's also this thing called skin cancer that people like to avoid. unprotected sun exposure can cause cancer as well as non fatal skin problems like wrinkles and freckles.

User Detail :  

Name : Tresha, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 23, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Photographer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Rebekah
    Participant
    I recommend you go with the sunblock/sunscreen, too. Although many people assume that darker skin equals protection against cellular damage and skin cancer, it is really no guarantee. While you are at less risk of many superficial types of skin cancer, serious melanomas aren't likely to play favourites - so wear it and think of it in the same way as choosing not to smoke - for your health. Encourage all others on your team to wear it, too, and not the 'tanning lotion' type - 30plus SPF.

User Detail :  

Name : Rebekah, Gender : F, Age : 32, City : Melbourne, State : NA Country : Australia, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Maggie B.
    Participant
    As a redhead who's belly flesh is damn near transluscent, I'll agree...we pale girls probably have something of an obsession with sunblock. As someone said above, getting a sunburn is not a fun experience. If you get a bad one, it can be hard to shower or even sleep. And if your friends are anything like me, getting a bad sunburn is as easy as hanging around outside for a couple hours on a clear day. It doesn't even need to be that hot, just sunny. By the time I was a teenager, I had favorite brands, SPF levels, re-applying times, etc. It's such an everyday thing and you have so many preferences that it just becomes a topic of conversation...like talking about hairstyles or clothes. Plus, there's a self-depeciation aspect to it as well. A lot of us really pale kids got made fun of in grade school for our freckles or our inability to tan, so sitting around talking about using gallon jugs of SPF 50 is just a way to poke fun at yourself. It's almost kind of an unofficial redhead in-joke.

User Detail :  

Name : Maggie B., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 20s, City : Birmingham, State : AL Country : United States, Occupation : journalist, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

AmyM
    Participant
    You really do need to wear sun block as well. Anyone, no matter how dark, can get a sunburn or skin cancer. You have some protection, and you can be thankful for that as well as the fact that you are not "pale." Be Kind, for everyone is fighting a great battle." -Plato

User Detail :  

Name : AmyM, Gender : Female, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 42, City : Philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.