Why “Hispanic”?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Dan
    Participant
    Why are we of Latin American descent always referred to as "Hispanics"? We never called ourselves that before the Nixon era, and it is innaccurate. As an average Mexican, I am more Indian than Spanish, and my family has no ties to Spain whatsoever.

User Detail :  

Name : Dan, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : na, Race : Chicano, Religion : Pentecostal Christian, Age : 21, City : Los Angeles area, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Nelson A.
    Participant
    Amigo Dan, the word Hispanic in ethnic/cultural classification means that you are from, or a descendant of people from, a spanish speaking country or former Spanish colony, such as México. The Iberian penninsula where Spain and Portugal lies was called Hispania, all the names relating to our language come from that word. Remember we speak español (sounds like Hispaniol). Another thing, non-latin American society is less ignorant about us nowdays. Before Nixon, anyone who spoke spanish in the USA was called Mexican even though they were from Venezuela or Guatemala, my parents went through that. So Dan, you are Hispanic. Culturally you and your family, and all Latin America (México tambien) have big cultural/ethnical ties with Spain (Hispania), it's just that you didn't know. For an example of what I'm saying, ask any White-American (WASP type) what ties he and his family have with Anglia and Sachsen, and he'll most probably say: Beg your pardon?

User Detail :  

Name : Nelson A., Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 30, City : Caracas, State : NA Country : Venezuela, Occupation : Lawyer/Business, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Richard G
    The term "Hispanic" is used to cover the Spanish-speaking world as a whole. This would include Mexican-American, Native Mexicans, Guatemalans, Spaniards, Puerto Ricans, etc., or anyone who speaks the language. "Latino" refers to those of North or South American heritage or descent.

User Detail :  

Name : Richard G, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Southern Baptist, Age : 40, City : Springfield, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Service, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.