Who killed Jesus?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Nicky
    Participant
    Why do Christians blame Jewish people for the death of Jesus? If I understand the story correctly, your God sent Jesus to Earth to die for humanity's sins. So, the Christian God killed Jesus. I don't understand how anyone can worship a God that is so uncaring about his only "son." There are other examples of this God testing people by threatening to kill their loved ones. I just don't understand this mindset.

User Detail :  

Name : Nicky, Gender : F, Religion : Pagan, Age : 46, City : Ft Worth, State : TX Country : United States, 

Chester32346
    Participant
    I am a Christian and don't blame the Jewish people for killing Jesus. I blame myself. If I could have lived a sinless life, Christ would not have had to die for my sins. One of the reasons I worship God is that Christ is not dead, He is alive raised from the dead. And Christ is with God, interceding on my behalf. God is a Great God.

User Detail :  

Name : Chester32346, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, City : Vinton, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Dawn25941
    Participant
    As with any religion, Christianity has many followers who do not accurately represent its doctrine. Nowhere in the Bible are Jews condemned for the death of Jesus (who was, of course, a Jew himself). The sin of humanity is what is identified as responsible for his death. As for God allowing his Son's crucifixion, you have to remember that God and his Son (along with the Holy Spirit)are considered to be one and the same -- therefore, Jesus' death is actually self-sacrifice, laying down his life for we who are unworthy. The love which prompted such a self-sacrifice is the reason for Christian devotion.

User Detail :  

Name : Dawn25941, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 37, City : Pittsburgh, State : PA Country : United States, 

Chris32219
    Participant
    I'm sorry, but you don't understand the story, behind his death. God did not kill Jesus and niether did the Jews. Some people with a lot of hatred say the Jews killed Jesus by not believing that he lived to save us. Jesus willingly sacrificed himself for our sins. Now for the last part. Behind every story in the bible there is a moral. I don't know every moral behind everything in the bible so the only thing I know to tell you is to pick up a bible and read the stories you heard about. Then you will know the morals behind them. I hope this corrected some of the things you have been told. Have a good life.

User Detail :  

Name : Chris32219, City : Charlotte, State : NC Country : United States, 

Don
    Participant
    Sidna, I'm affraid you've been misled by people and un-thorough research on your part. If you're talking about the Christian Jesus, I think you should know that His dying was His idea, from the beginning. He said exactly how it would happen, and it did. His original plan, according to the history of Jesus, the Christ, was to die for the wrongdoings of the world (payable by our death and eternal separation from God in a place we know as Hell,) known as sins, because the people of the world had strayed from their relationship with God the Father. Simply put: The price of our wrong or sin is death (see above) and Jesus, God in the flesh, voluntarily died on a cross to be the required price of sin - death - in our place, so that we could be bought with a price for all the good and all the bad in our lives and continue (or be restored to) our relationship with God. If you've ever seen a sports game where they show someone in the stands holding a sign saying "John 3:16," it's a part in the Bible that states exactly what I'm talking about: "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotton Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life." I strongly recommend a book written by Josh McDowell called Evidence That Demands A Verdict, a true story and autobiography about a man who set out to disprove Christianity.

User Detail :  

Name : Don, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Christian, Age : 31, City : San Diego, State : CA Country : CA, Occupation : College Senior, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Linda22942
    Participant
    To answer part of your question, and this is a somewhat tongue-in-cheek response from a Bible studier: The god that the Christians believe in didn't kill Jesus. Their God is a loving father. The god who killed Jesus is the god of the Jews, who demanded such things of his people: a just and vengeful god. The difference between the two makes me wonder why Christians keep the Old Testament as part of their Bible, when the modern message of Christianity clashes so strongly with the old god's image.

User Detail :  

Name : Linda22942, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 29, City : East Haddam, State : CT Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Marcia
    Participant
    Actually, it seems to me that it is the Christian conception of God that sees him as someone who demands death as the price of sin. Christians say that Jesus died for their sins and that without this sacrifice God would never forgive them and would damn them forever. It is the Christian view that God has so little love and compassion that He will not forgive without someone having been tortured to death. Judaism (with the exception of a few fanatics who would like to see the Temple rebuilt and animal sacrifice reinstated) has moved beyond the notion that someone or something has to die for God to forgive us. (And human sacrifice has been anathema to Judaism in every age. Even the story of the binding of Isaac ends with Isaac's life spared.) Every year in the synagogue on Yom Kippur we read over and over again that 'repentance, prayer and good deeds will annul the stern decree.' God will forgive us because He is merciful and because we sincerely repent. Nobody has to die. THIS is the Jewish view. I guess the fact that Judaism has been viewed through the ages as bloodthirsty and unforgiving, while Christianity, a religion built on the horror of human sacrifice, has been seen as loving and peaceful, is a testament (no pun intended) to the fact that history is written by those in power.

User Detail :  

Name : Marcia, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : attorney, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Susan27476
    Participant
    Linda: I'm afraid that your 'tongue-in-cheek' response is very much mistaken. Christianity in all its forms is a religion based on the idea that God will forgive people only through the death of Jesus. The Christian view of God insists that He is so vengeful that someone's got to be tortured to death in order for Him to forgive. The Jewish view of redemption is quite different. If you look at the Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement) prayer book you will see that over and over on Yom Kippur Jews around the world recite that 'repentance, prayer and good deeds annul the evil decree.' Jews believe that God, out of his own love and generosity, redeems all those who truly repent. Look at the difference in the Jewish and Christian interpretations of the story of the binding of Isaac. My understanding is that Christians see it as a prefiguring of the the sacrifice of Jesus. On the other hand, most Jewish interpretations I encounter view this as a story, in part, about substitution of an animal sacrifice for a human sacrifice. Judaism absolutely and categorically rejects human sacrifice, while Christianity appears to me to be based on it.

User Detail :  

Name : Susan27476, Gender : F, Religion : Jewish, City : NY, State : NY Country : United States, 

Beth23169
    Participant
    Well, as a jew I was always curious about this myself so I asked some friends. Apparently when the jews were asked by the Romans whether they wanted a murderer to be saved, or Jesus to be saved, we chose the murderer. The romans did the actual killing, we just told them who. Your point is quite interesting though: First, there would be no Jesus without the jews - he WAS a jew. Secondly, if Jesus hadn't died his godliness would not be known - the whole purpose of his living was this death. Seems strange to be angry about it. Although, the old testament god, the one the jews worship is even less forgiving that the one in the new testament (thus my lack of religion).

User Detail :  

Name : Beth23169, City : Anchorage, State : AK Country : United States, 

Ed-M25546
    Participant
    Susan, I think you miss the point of the Christian view of Jesus' sacrifice on the cross. God does not desire a human sacrifice, what He desires is an everlasting covenant with his people. The animal sacrifices were meant to renew that covenant. People took their best animals and killed them as an emblem of their indebtedness to God. However, due to the constant tendency of mankind to sin for all time, no amount of animal sacrifice (or human sacrifice, for that matter) could atone for the rupture to the covenant relationship. Only an eternal sacrifice can keep the covenant relationship going. Hence, God incarnates himself as human being, simultaneously fully human and fully divine, and allows himself to be put to death. This explanation only makes sense if you believe Jesus really was the son of God and chose his death willingly. Otherwise, Jesus was just some wandering pseudo-hippie nutjob whose preaching upset the religious authority of the Sanhedrin and the political authority of the Romans so much that they chose to have him killed before his movement got out of hand and spread around the world.

User Detail :  

Name : Ed-M25546, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 29, City : Goshen, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Content Developer, Social class : Middle class, 

David
    Participant
    Jesus is a homophone for the Sumerian word meaning psychedelic mushroom. Jesus the man never existed. The zealots (a group of Jewish rebels in a Roman colony two millenia ago) were engaged in the roots of their own religion, paganism. They were using sexual practices, coupled with amanita muscaria (the psychedelic mushroom indigenous to Palestine) to achieve a state of God realization. They then wrote about their mushroom in the form of parabled to hide their rebellious cult from the Romans while dispensing instructions to followers everywhere. By the time the Gospels were in ready supply, no one was left alive who could have had any firsthand knowledge of a Jesus the man. The only historical reference to Jesus the man is in the writings of Josephus. No one knows who Josephus was, and many historians agree he was a combination of many historians who were unknown. Some writers point out that Jesus is a combination of Je-hovah and Zeus. Je + Zeus = Jesus. That would be a convenient combination for the Roman Catholic Church to take the great God of the Jews and the supreme god of Mount Olympus of the Romans. After all, at the time of the Zealots, they wanted a way to continue Judaism while also conquering the Romans.

User Detail :  

Name : David, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 35, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

noha
    Participant
    you've got the jewish side and the christian side ,here's the muslim side:) we belive that jesus is a prophet sent by God to the people of that time to tell them of God and teach them how to worship him and thank him,he wasn't sent for purifying sins because each person is responsible for his own actions and he has to ask God for forgivness and God will forgive him ,also there's no original sin of adam as in islam ,after he ate from the tree,and God let him down on earth ,adam asked for His forgivness and he was forgived. so in a nutshell ,we belive jesus is a man chosen by God to be a prophet,God didn't send him to be killed and he is merciful and caring of everyone as he made us and wants us to be best,in the koran (our holy book)it says that God didn't ,and never will , ask you to do what you can't ,and in another verse:ask God for forgivness and he will forgive you these aren't exact translations but they are the meanings of the verses

User Detail :  

Name : noha, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Muslim, Age : 16, City : cairo, State : NA Country : Egypt, Occupation : student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Michael20683
    Participant
    History gives us that crucifixion in the pagan years of the Roman Empire was a punishment meted to criminals against Rome, so Jesus would be tried as a Roman citizen under Roman law. However, the Bible states that he was turned in by -- was it the Pharisees? If I recall, these were the Jewish scholars who supported a highly literal interpretation of the Bible. For this reason, I claim that he was betrayed not by Judaism as a whole, but by the Jerry Falwells and Pat Robertsons of his day. *g*

User Detail :  

Name : Michael20683, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : bi-curious (mostly straight), Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 20, City : Livingston, State : LA Country : United States, Occupation : undergrad, Education level : 2 Years of College, 
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.