‘Who Wants To Be A (black) Millionaire?’

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Augustine23644
    Participant
    Why are there so few black contestants on the TV show 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire'? I can't see how the program is in the slightest bit racist - you either know the information or you don't. Incidentally, I would have no problem with one of every eight questions (the approximate percentage of the population that is African American) pertaining to black-oriented subject matter. If anything, it would make the show more interesting!

User Detail :  

Name : Augustine23644, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 39, City : Columbia, State : SC Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jon-H
    Participant
    Producers rely on demographics to decide what goes on TV. If audiences want to see lots of black people on TV, then the producers will put more black people on TV. As of right now, most people prefer to see mostly white people, so that is what you get.

User Detail :  

Name : Jon-H, Gender : F, City : Kitchner, State : NA Country : Canada, 

Emma25396
    Participant
    I was discussing this with a black friend the other day. He is highly intelligent, a writer, has a master's degree, et al. His take on this was that African Americans in general are less likely to believe they would be treated fairly in such a situation. Ergo, fewer of them pick up the phone in the first place to get in on game shows, as they already assume the tables are tipped against them. 'Do you feel that way?' I asked. He doesn't, but responded: 'I'd never parade myself around on television that way. I'd rather earn my million.' Two different takes on the same question, I suppose.

User Detail :  

Name : Emma25396, Gender : F, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, 

Amy31600
    Participant
    What are black-oriented questions?

User Detail :  

Name : Amy31600, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 28, City : Charleston, State : WV Country : United States, Occupation : Lab Tech, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ron
    As a fan of the show, I have noticed the same phenomenon: a dearth of any group besides white men sitting in the hot seat. Seeing as how the process for contestant selection is done over the phone, and indeed is double-blind, there is no way the show's producers can know someone's race and take that into account. Only the people who answer the questions correctly are up for consideration. Anyone can get on as long as they are smart and have a very good short-term memory bank. I highly doubt that in these sensitive times there is any motivation on behalf of ABC to consciously discourage blacks from getting on the show. Perhaps we are witnessing a microcosm of society, whereby the educated white men dominate the game, while only a few women and even fewer minorities succeed. In order to get more women and minorities on the show, ABC could resort to affirmative action!

User Detail :  

Name : Ron, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 41, City : Feldman, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : Architect, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Astorian
    Participant
    I appeared on 'Who Wants to Be a Millionaire' a few months ago. For the record, I was never the quickest in the 'Fast Fingers' round, so I never got to answer any questions, and never won any money. I CAN tell you this, firsthand: the test is done completely over the telephone, and the contestant coordinators have NO idea whatsoever what color the person taking the test is! So, if there are few black contestants, it is NOT because the producers refuse to accept them. It's either because black people don't try to take the phone test, or they don't do well when they do call. The way it works is this: when people call the toll-free number listed at the end of the show, they get a recorded message with 3 questions. EVERYONE who answers all 3 questions right is put into a computerized random drawing, and 40 of them are selected each day for a playoff round. Those forty people call a special, secret phone number, and answer 5 new questions, as quickly as they can. The ten finalists who answer the most questions in the fastest time make it to the show. Unlike 'Jeopardy' or other game shows, 'Millionaire' picks people PURELY based on how they do in the phone tests. They NEVER see contestants face to face until the contestants arrive at the studios in New York. So, how can the producers be racist, if they don't even know the color of the people they're flying into NEw York??? (Now, the phone test DOES ask our gender. So, apparently the producers ARE trying to get more female contestants.) Are there things the producers could do to get more black contestants? I suppose so. Maybe they could add more questions about rap music, or black authors, or black history. But it is completely unfair to suggest that the producers are racist. Anyone who passes the test gets on. My guess is, puzzles and trivia are something that appeals primarily to nerdy white guys (Yes, I'm one of those!). Women in general are not as interested in trivia, and neither are most black people I know.

User Detail :  

Name : Astorian, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 38, City : Austin, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Rich K.
    In my opinion, blacks do not get on 'Millionaire' because they are not as educated as white America. As harsh as that sounds, I believe it to be true. So there is no way you'll see a vast number of blacks on the show.

User Detail :  

Name : Rich K., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 37, City : Wixom, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Machinist, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.