Whites throwing in the towel?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Corinne
    I'm black and my best friend is white. We're alike in many ways, except that she doesn't use a washcloth when she showers or bathes. She says they're useless. I, on the other hand, could never feel clean without one (or at least a scrunchy). Is this a race thing or what?

User Detail :  

Name : Corinne, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Methodist, Age : 41, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Executive Assistant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

C19205
    Participant
    As far as I know, this is not a racial issue. I'm white, and not only do I use a washcloth, I have separate ones for my body and face.

User Detail :  

Name : C19205, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 30s, City : Austin, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : lawyer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Anna
    Participant
    I am white and always use a scrunchy - it's easier to distribute the shower gel. I must say, though, that while many things can be attributed to race, many more come down to the individual preference, nothing more than that. You do seem slightly over-keen to look to race as the reason for our differences!

User Detail :  

Name : Anna, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 19, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    I saw a similar question posted here a few weeks ago. I didn't respond then, but I'll respond now. Until very recently, I washed with just my hands and a bar of soap. The main reason was that I could never get the hang of the washcloth. It would always slide around and was difficult to keep hold of, and like your friend, I didn't see much point. A few weeks ago, though, I bought a pair of showering gloves. They are made of a loofah-like plastic weave that's rougher than a wash cloth, and they work great. I wash just like I used to, but now there's something on my hands that makes it more effective.

User Detail :  

Name : Karl G. Siewert, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 30, City : Tulsa, State : OK Country : United States, Occupation : Librarian, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Tony24180
    Participant
    I am white. I and all my family have always used a wash cloth. Actually, I never heard of anyone not using one.

User Detail :  

Name : Tony24180, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 55, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Executive, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Lisa M.
    Participant
    Using or not using washclothes while bathing is not a race thing. I think it is an individual thing. I am white and use washclothes when bathing.

User Detail :  

Name : Lisa M., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 32, City : St. Clairsville, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : College Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ramona
    I like to use a bath sponge because the water in the area I live happens to be very hard. The sponge makes lathering much easier. However, I was married to a guy that did not use a washcloth and neither did anyone in his family. I found that odd. So obviously, this is not race-related but personal preference. I also think it is a very good question.

User Detail :  

Name : Ramona, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 40's, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : executive administrative assistant, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Patricia
    Participant
    I am white and always use a scrunchie, loofa or washcloth when bathing. However, I would like to point out that however you are washing yourself, you are only getting rid of the surface dirt. Since moving to Turkey to run a travel agency with my Turkish husband, I have become happily acquainted with the 'Hamam,' or Turkish Bath. This is definitely one of the best things ever in my life, and I go whenever I have the chance. I don't feel clean anymore unless I go to one at least every few months.

During a Turkish bath, you first sweat heavily to lose toxins and soften up the skin. Then you are scrubbed with a coarse woolen mitt, which removes enormous, scary gobs of dead gray skin. Truly disgusting-looking. Now I realize how very dirty I always was before. I read about some hamams in America, and I encourage everybody to go. It is incredibly relaxing.

Anyhow, my point is that I don't think it really matters if you just use soap or use something to scrub, it won't get the whole job done. But I really do think that using something to scrub is preferable to using nothing. My white girlfriends at home use scrubby things, and I know at least some of my white guy friends use washcloths, but I don't know about them all.

User Detail :  

Name : Patricia, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 29, City : Antalya, State : NA Country : Turkey, Occupation : tour/travel agency, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ashley
    Participant
    I responded to another question like this earlier. No it is not a race thing. I used a washcloth for awhile. I guess I didn't like it. Now I prefer a scrunchy and body wash. The soap in my house always had hair on it from someone that was living there. Nasty huh? So now I use a scrunchy! Not trying to affend anyone because I don't beleave in racism, but why are black people always wondering if we use a washcloth or not? Like is that like something that is in your race or just common among black folks?

User Detail :  

Name : Ashley, City : San Diego, State : CA Country : United States, 

alex
    Participant
    I lived in a suite with 3 'white' females, and i have another roommate who is 'white'. none of them use wash cloths. its just an ethnic difference. these gurls also liked to clean their hair brushed and throw them outside of the birds....sure i might not like it, but i dont get an attitude, because i was raised a different way.

User Detail :  

Name : alex, Gender : F, Race : *poweRpuFF greeN*, Age : 19, City : houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : *maDsCienTist*, 

Chris32173
    Participant
    Your white girlfriend is one nasty ass bitch.You keep hanging with her and you are going to become nasty just like her.

User Detail :  

Name : Chris32173, City : waldorf, State : MD Country : United States, 

Mandy
    Participant
    There's no way I can take a shower without a washcloth. That seems strange to me, but I suppose that's just cuz it's different.

User Detail :  

Name : Mandy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Irish, German, Norwegian!, Religion : Catholic, Age : 25, City : Minneapolis, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : clerical, student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

sarah
    i think it has more to do with what your family has done. i'm white (for all intents and purposes, i'm actually native american as well, and irish, --i look white) and have alllllways used a washcloth and in the past few years switched to a 'scrunchie'. my boyfriend is white as well and no one in his family uses washcloths, his parents never had the kids use them and he still doesnt. i dont understand how you can feel clean without one but cest la vie.

User Detail :  

Name : sarah, Gender : F, Race : American Indian, Age : 25, City : Amherst, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

John Doe
    Participant
    I am white. My family is Eastern European. When I was a baby my mom bathed me with a washcloth. When I got old enough to wash myself, I also knew that my parents didn't use washcloths so I stopped using them and never have, since. As a matter of fact, I didn't even know what to use it for when an arab-american friend offered me one at a sleepover. When he noticed it unused, I admitted that I never used one. He thought that was weird and even gross that I would wash myself with just my hands. His mom also seemed taken aback. I, in turn, thought that it was rather puritanical of him and his family to be afraid of having his bare hands wash his body. I still maintain that it's much easier to get clean using your hands, It's all soap and water in the shower-- no harm in washing any and every part barehand. Who needs the cloth??? A few swipes with a washcloth does not get you clean. You have to scrub, and that is easiest when done barehand. :) I could understand females exfoliating with those hand-mitts or whatever. My wife (caucasian, American w/ english/Irish background) has always used a washcloth. She and I playfully debate the issue sometimes. I actually fake using one, for politeness, when I visit her grandparents. I don't want to weird them out like I did my friend. Washcloth use may be somewhat controlled by ethnicity (or perhaps religious anti-masturbation taboo??? Which is useless anyway cause I know someone who used to get themselves off rubbing with a slippery washcloth, but I digress) but I don't think it's a white/black thing, per se.

User Detail :  

Name : John Doe, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 25, City : PG County, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : Law student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.