Whites learning about blacks

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Juno R.
    Participant
    What books or other materials would an American black person recommend white people read to learn about U.S. black history and culture?

User Detail :  

Name : Juno R., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 38, City : Swisshome, State : OR Country : United States, Occupation : mechanic/musician, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower class, 

Jennifer R.
    Participant
    Hi Juno. Since American History is the story of many groups of people inextricably intertwined, i'd have to start by recommending a book called The People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn. This provides a good base for the whole schmeer. You might also want to read Roll Jordan, Roll: The World The Slaves Made. I'm sorry that I can't recall the name of the author, but it should be easy to find. These are both dense, challenging reads, but enormously rewarding if you stick with it. If you can get your hands on unabridged audio or printed text of speeches by Martin Luther King, Jr. AND Malcom X, please do. Also, Letters From A Birmingham Jail by MLK might be interesting to you. By all means, please read The Autobiography of Malcom X, also unabridged, as told to Alex Haley. Speaking of Alex Haley, Roots is a fine book. Check out the miniseries if you like, but I always like books better than movies. Along the same lines as People's History, i.e. an overview of a significant event that involved every walk of life on converging paths, I can't suggest stridently enough that you lay in some supplies, including a box or two of kleenex, pull the blinds, and spend a weekend with the Ken Burns documentary, The Civil War. It should be available at Blockbuster. It's nine volumes, but I wager that you will be so engrossed, you won't care. A couple of other documentaries you might want to see: Africans in America, produced by PBS. Very comprehensive and engaging. The nearest big city library should have it. Eyes On The Prize: Award-winning series about the Civil Rights Movement, and deservedly so. A cornerstone to any historical video collection. In terms of fiction, i'd recommend Zora Neale Hurston, Richard Wright, James Baldwin, Maya Angelou's autobiographical series which begins with 'I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings', Toni Morrison, particularly 'The Bluest Eye' . . . There are so many more biographies, works of fiction, autobiographies, recordings, and resources i'd like to recommend, but I don't think I have the space to do so. The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, is the home of the largest collection of works by and about African-Americans in the country. You can peruse some of that collection via the internet through the University's website. Also, check out the Smithsonian website. Moderator, please insert paragraph breaks. Thanks. ____________________________

User Detail :  

Name : Jennifer R., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Humanist, Age : 29, City : Saint Paul, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Writer/Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Joanna
    Participant
    I am a white woman who has an extensive network of Black friends. When I went to college, the only Black people I had learned about in school was Martin Luther King, Jr. and Harriet Tubman. When I went away to college, a Black man who befriended me reccommended that I read The Autobiography of Malcolm X. I read the book, and have been expanding my knowlege of Black history and cultures since. Some other books my Black friends have reccommended to me are: Soul on Ice by Eldrige Cleaver and Black Boy by Richard Wright. In addition, try reading some books by Derrick Bell (sp?) I hope these reccomendations will be helpful in getting you started in your quest to learn more about Black history, they certainly helped me.

User Detail :  

Name : Joanna, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Christian, Age : 26, City : Commack, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : social work, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Orleanas
    Participant
    There are many books that you can choose from such as biographies, essays and the like. IF you truly want to learn about the history and culture of blacks, I suggest you taking a course at a college. But to start, I'll mention a sample of books which may give you a better undersdtanding of the historic roots and culture so that when you read the everyday fictions by Black authors you may get a better grasp of things and apply them to the history and relationship of Blacks in general. 1. The Riverside and/or Norton Anthology of African American Literature--great background info on what shaped the lyrical/musical aspect of Black Culture 2. When and Where I Enter by Paula Giddings--great info from a women-centered perspective of Black History 3. From Slavery to Freedom ... edited by Franklin 4. 'Slave' Narratives are particularly informative I recommend that of Harriet Jacobs, Oloudah Equino, and Frederick Douglass. There are numerous books and films to choose from. Check your local library or bookstore, and better yet, take a course in a college. I hope my info helps.

User Detail :  

Name : Orleanas, Gender : F, Age : 20, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, 

Fuzzy
    For a general overview, try Lerone Bennett Jr.'s Before the Mayflower: a history of Black America. For contemporary issues, try Ellis Cose' Rage of a Privileged Class and Shelby Steele's Content of our Character. The authors come from two completely different political perspectives on things like affirmative action and job discrimination. If you have some hobby or special interest, you could find some biographies of black people involved with those areas (actors if you like movies, historical figures from a time period that interests you). For general biographies, try The Autobiography of Malcolm X and Yes, I Can by Sammy Davis Jr. These should get you started.

User Detail :  

Name : Fuzzy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

G.E. Long
    One good 'overview' book is 'Autobiography of a People: Three Centuries of African-American History Told by Those Who Lived It' by Herb Boyd. It covers varied black experiences and views from slavery to the present. I recommend this book, in that for each time period, it provides commentary from differing points of reference/view - showing how a number of people can live/go through the same situation, but experience/view/respond to it differently.

'They Came Before Columbus' by Ivan Van Sertima is also good; 'The Souls of Black Folk' by W.E.B. DuBois and 'Up From Slavery' by Booker T. Washington are good, and best read in tandem; anything by James Baldwin, but particularly 'The Fire Next Time'; 'To Kill A Mockingbird' by Harper Lee - while this is fiction (and not by a black author) this book is excellent in relating the views and attitudes of a time, and how we need to be careful in what and how we teach our children regarding people, tolerance, respect, etc. There are literally dozens more I could suggest, but this is a good start.

User Detail :  

Name : G.E. Long, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Catholic, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.