Whites copying blacks

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Peter
    Participant
    Why is it that many white people, especially younger white suburanites mostly 12-30, seem to copy black slang and terms of expression with no thought about it? I see surfers and such groups saying things like 'Wuzzup big pimpin' or 'sup my nigga' to each other. What really bothers me is that these same kids have little to no black or minority friends at all.

User Detail :  

Name : Peter, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 20, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Teresa20809
    Participant
    I'm glad you brought this up. I find it odd too, especially since recently I've been working in a small town where the young men talk like this. I hear the black slang from them all the time. I could understand, like you said, if they had black friends or came from a black neighborhood, but this is almost never the case in this town, where the 'minority' population is like 0.7% and the rest is white. As for possible reasons, I don't know--this seems beyond me. Probably rap or hip-hop music has influenced these young men, and they see this culture as glamorous. Yes, I agree the young white guys talking like black people is bothersome for several reasons; but then again I can't say I'm any better. Throughout my life I've dressed or I've spoken in ways that are 'not my own' according to time period, culture, language, location, etc. With this in mind I try to put a positive spin on this kind of behavior--I think the imitations of black slang or whatever else are from admiration.

User Detail :  

Name : Teresa20809, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : Macomb, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : student, 

Dennis
    Participant
    I think that the reason that this happens is due to pop culture. Hip-Hop, R and B, and other kinds of black music are all over the pop music charts, and on TV videos. Young white people do it because it is the thing to do. It is the latest fad. White pop singers can also sell lots of records when they take the black road.

User Detail :  

Name : Dennis, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 28, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, 

Justin20834
    Participant
    This problem is a growing concern for young whites. As a white youth myself I prefer to act my own race; by imitating black people it shows some groups of people have a need for attention. Being diverse is great and I have many black friends, but we all agree that 'acting black' is unacceptable and shows a person's lack of character and need for individuality

User Detail :  

Name : Justin20834, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 16, City : Louisville, State : KY Country : United States, Social class : Upper class, 

Ann
    Participant
    It's FASHIONIZZABLE, Homey.

User Detail :  

Name : Ann, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Animist, Age : 39, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Executive Assistant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Lisa
    I was recently at a jewelry sale and a co-worker of my brother was there. He was white, 50ish, and loaded with bling. Spoke as if he was 17 and black. He was courteous, but came across as somewhat juvenile and silly. We thought after he left, 'what's up with that guy?' I don't see too many people of color talking like that on TV except for some former NFL player commentators.

User Detail :  

Name : Lisa, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, City : Custar, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Christine28618
    Participant
    Now you know why they have little to no black or minority friends: It's pop culture. Eventually they get back on track with the other blacks who realize speaking this way and copying pop culture gets you nowhere fast.

User Detail :  

Name : Christine28618, Gender : F, City : Hartford, State : CT Country : United States, 

Angela
    Participant
    I'd like to know where black culture is 'copywritten.' As far as I know there is this thing called 'freedom of speech'...Ya'll can act, talk, dress any which way you feel is comfortable. I believe it was white men/women who started wearing jeans that fell off their asses and baggy shirts in the first place.

User Detail :  

Name : Angela, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 26, City : Kingston, State : NA Country : Canada, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Cheryl
    Participant
    What is the true identity of these people? It seems to me they spend a great deal of time and energy trying to be something they are not. Do you think they act the same way at home?

User Detail :  

Name : Cheryl, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 43, City : Marion, State : IA Country : United States, Occupation : Homemaker, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Reign
    I can name countless things that black people have come up with that white people have put their names on. It's just what's in right now. I don't understand it, either, but that's what people do: follow whatever's 'in'

User Detail :  

Name : Reign, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 19, City : CCHills, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

GeorgeannD
    Maybe it isn't "copying" so much as just adopting the slang of the times? My black high school students thought I must be "mixed" because I say y'all. I'm not copying anybody's race or culture, just talking in a dialect that also belongs to white people. If a black person refrains from using hip-hop slang, and doesn't use ebonics pronunciation, are they "copying" white people?

User Detail :  

Name : GeorgeannD, Gender : Female, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 54, City : Park Forest, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Educator, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.