Whites and dancing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Daisha-F
    Participant
    Why don't whites know how to dance? And why do they like rock music?

User Detail :  

Name : Daisha-F, Gender : F, City : Edmond, State : CT Country : United States, 

Jessica30639
    Participant
    I can't speak for all whites, but I do not like rock music. I probably know as many lyrics to rap songs as any African American, but that's not the only type of music I listen to. Blacks tend to have lives that revolve around music, while most whites have varied interests. For example, I know of more whites who value things like education, hobbies, personal goals, etc., while most blacks I know have no real values in life. Therefore, maybe they simply have more time to go 'clubbin' and perfect their dance moves since they don't work, go to school or have any other hobbies (besides having kids and collecting welfare). That's a really narrow-minded and racist question to ask ... and whites are supposed to be the racist ones?

User Detail :  

Name : Jessica30639, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 25, City : Waco, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Nelson-A20158
    Participant
    Anyone of any race can dance. It depends not on race but on where you are born and raised. My country has a 30 percent white population who not only dance salsa, merengue, trance and hip hop, but also 'tambores' (African drums from the Venezuelan coast). You would freak out if you saw a pure blond, blue-eyed teenager moving his hips to tambores, and you see it here. American WASPs in general are not brought up dancing, except maybe those married to Hispanics (of any race). They're brought up listening to rock, so they end up liking it. Anyhow, if you want to see American whites dancing, go to Miami.

User Detail :  

Name : Nelson-A20158, Gender : M, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 34, City : Caracas, State : NA Country : Venezuela, Occupation : lawyer/teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Cynthia31731
    Participant
    Every culture has dancing, including European cultures. While the wealthy may have imported various dances from abroad, the people who lived in the country danced too. They wouldn't have had much influence from other nations.

User Detail :  

Name : Cynthia31731, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Age : 24, City : Toronto, State : NA Country : Chile, Occupation : Graduate Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Lis
    Well, you just gave an equally narrow-minded and racist answer. There are just as many whites (and other races) who have no values. Losers come in all colors and races. And not all black people can dance. Rhythmless people come in all colors, too.

User Detail :  

Name : Lis, Gender : F, Race : Multi-Racial, Age : 20, City : Brooklyn, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

anon
    Participant
    It's always been my belief that a lot whites try to bring music to an intellectual complex level when there is no reason to. I think it's an insecurity stemming from the belief that whites have always had a more educated and sophisticated upbringing. They think that hip hop is something that is below them and underdeveloped. They think that the way to create music is to make something that the listener doesn't really understand at first because it is so intricate. Kindof like an 'im smarter than you,' type deal. The end result may be interesting but it does not communicate with an audience. I've had so many stupid indie rock kids tell me about this great new band that noone has heard of because they are ultra experimental and really smart. I go to listen to it and it's some white dude wailing about his ex over some weak 'experimental beat.' White kids then end up worshipping these rock bands in an idol like, spiritual type fashion. (led zeppelin, radiohead, ALL INDIE ROCK) Don't get me wrong because these bands are great and have made major advances in music. The problem is that you can't dance to it. How many white rock kids have you seen bobbing their head completely out of step? It's because they grow up listening to stuff that snubs the tight beat for the 'look at me im so great' guitar solo. It's all insecurity. White people can be so stuck up sometimes.

User Detail :  

Name : anon, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jade
    I'm white and can dance I also don't like rock music. I like R&B, rap and soul. Stereotypes are rarely correct.

User Detail :  

Name : Jade, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Spanish, Religion : Catholic, Age : 16, City : Sydney, State : NA Country : Australia, Occupation : Student, Social class : Upper class, 

Dawn
    Participant
    You say 'most blacks I know have no real values in life.' I guess you don't know many. Your comments are the ones that sound narrow minded and racist. Then you say that they don't go to school or work, but just have babies and collect welfare. I'm almost ashamed to say I am the same race as you. And as for the original message, I can't dance....

User Detail :  

Name : Dawn, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, City : Flint, State : MI Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Fi
    Participant
    I'm white and like rock music, but I prefer blues and soul. I think many whites can dance - but they just dance differently.

User Detail :  

Name : Fi, City : Vihti, State : NA Country : Finland, 

Lynette22485
    Participant
    I can't speak for whites in Edmond, CT, but everyone I know likes to dance. That includes whites, East Indian, Asian, black or whoever. As for rock music, I like it because I grew up with it. My sons don't and won't listen to rock. My oldest is into cultural and easy listening songs, while my youngest likes just about anything current, including pop, rap and hip hop. But many older whites feel an affinity for rock because it was the first to give expression to kids and kids' feelings about music. Rock music brought us the Twist, the Jive and modern dance. But if you look in our tape cassette racks you will likely find some variety - I know I have everything from Amazing Grace to You Raise Me Up. It comes down to what you were exposed to as a kid and therefore grew up liking.

User Detail :  

Name : Lynette22485, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Irish/Scots/English/Finn, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 47, City : British Columbia, State : NA Country : Canada, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ashlee
    Participant
    I love to dance. In fact, after I married, I walked back down the aisle to ABBA's 'Dancing Queen' because that was sort of a theme song for me. And no, ABBA is not considered rock music. I have to say that at first I thought your question was ridiculous, but I really appreciate that you had the guts to ask. A black friend of mine once asked me why white women always wore brown shoes, and was surprised when I told her I didn't own a single brown pair.

User Detail :  

Name : Ashlee, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Western European American, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 33, City : Lakeland, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Kathy
    White people do know how to dance, just not to black music. It used to be that whites were taught at a young age to dance to folk music, but not anymore, so we try to act black to fit in on the dance floor. If you go to a country dance, you'll see many whites looking at you wondering if you could dance to this music.

User Detail :  

Name : Kathy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 37, City : Fresno, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower class, 

Max-F
    Participant
    I'm white and think the dancing question is quite relevant. The rock music question is a bit out there, but I'll address both. In general, research has found that we are shaped by a combination of our genetics and our culture. For example, I may have the capacity to be very musical, but if that is not encouraged by the atmosphere in which I grow up in, I may not exhibit this. There are quite a few ways to look at your question. My general opinion is that culture and acceptable norms play a large role. These are directly a result of the history of a culture. In the United States, where I live, whites have been heavily influenced by the Puritan ideals of the church. Some churches ban dancing completely and consider it an obscene and outrageous display of the body, i.e. sexually suggestive. So for some people, dancing in public could be considered as having simulated sex in public, or at the very least, an invitation to sex. Most whites in the United States are not raised in atmospheres that readily encourage dancing and self-expression. The Puritan ideals still hold power over many. As far as rock music is concerned, why does anybody like any kind of music? Usually personal taste, but again, cultures play a large role. If all my friends listen to country, I probably will, too. This does not mean I am unable to appreciate other forms of music. Can you imagine a typical 14-year-old not at least considering the music of his or her peers?

User Detail :  

Name : Max-F, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 38, City : Cornville, State : IA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Mary
    Participant
    Why don't whites know how to dance? You have seen ALL whites dance? I'm white and I can dance. If you are implying that blacks have that 'natural rhythm' that equates to a racial stereotype. That would be like my asking 'Why do all blacks name give their kids unpronounceable names?' or 'Why can't blacks speak English?' And what's wrong with rock music? Why shouldn't they (or anyone) like rock music? It's a personal preference. I detest rap but I don't sneer at those who like it.

User Detail :  

Name : Mary, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Greensboro, State : NC Country : United States, 

Michele
    Participant
    White people do dance, just maybe not to the same music that you do. I love rock music and am not ashamed to admit it. I love the energy, the drum beats, how excited it makes me feel. The music I dance to is always punk/industrial or 80s pop. Just depends on your taste and what appeals to you. I listen to all kinds of music, depending on my moods, but don't enjoy a lot of 'dance' music. So white people CAN dance--to songs they like, whether it's country music, rap, punk, or oldies.

User Detail :  

Name : Michele, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : New Age/Metaphysical, Age : 32, City : New Orleans, State : LA Country : United States, Occupation : Reservationist, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.