White women’s unsolicited advice … aah!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

G.E. Long
    Why do white women think they have the right to tell any black person they encounter what to do? In every job I have had (including the military), white women always had the gall to try and tell me how to do my job - particularly when their skillset was unrelated to what I do, or considerably less than mine (15 years' experience). It is even worse for the few black males in my department. They can't even respond to these women that they want to be left alone to do their jobs, or the women will run whining to the department head, stating they were 'Spoken to in a threatening manner and feel uncomfortable' - thereby causing even more problems. Why can't they mind their own business, and let people do the jobs they were trained and hired to do?

User Detail :  

Name : G.E. Long, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Catholic, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jacqueline-C21010
    Participant
    I can't speak to why other white women do the things they do, but this white woman would never presume to tell someone else how to do their job unless I was their supervisor, regardless of that person's ethnicity. I don't know what kind of white women you have come in contact with in your job, but it sounds like they aren't the kind of people that it would be easy for anyone to work with. It also sounds like the managers aren't doing their jobs if these women consistently get away with treating people badly and then whining about it when someone has a problem with them.

User Detail :  

Name : Jacqueline-C21010, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 25, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Charlotte32293
    Participant
    I've never heard of white women being more bossy, if you will, than other women, but I mind my own business and don't usually like to tell people anything, much less how to do their job. I'm sorry that you feel this way, but I hope that you won't let those negative experiences color your view of people, especially white women, in the future. I have had many bad experiences with many different kinds of people, but I try to restrain from making blanket statements about what kind of people create the entire group.

User Detail :  

Name : Charlotte32293, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Presbyterian, Age : 31, City : Charlotte, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : Data Management, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Lisa
    I've had managers and bosses that gave bad, unsolicited advice. I've been micromanaged by idiots in the past. I've had meddling, irksome co-workers. And I'm white. Perhaps your previous white female co-workers were arrogant, covertly racist or simply bad managers. I don't think there is any cultural predisposition for bossiness or arrogance in white women. Some are; some aren't. Bad managers exist everywhere across all the borders of race, class, etc.

User Detail :  

Name : Lisa, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 24, City : los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Augustine23606
    Participant
    I've encountered the same thing, but I do not automatically associate it with anyone's race. There is a certain stripe of person who, no matter what, 'knows the best way,' and if they see someone doing it differently, they will butt in and try to take over. It usually comes across as quite condescending (and in a cross-racial context, it can be interpreted as racial). I think it comes from being just smart enough to perceive certain aspects of a task that others don't, yet not insightful enough to understand why their way isn't the 'only' way. This comes coupled with a 'do-gooder' mentality, and they actually imagine they are 'enlightening' you with their 'superior' wisdom and fresh perspective. There are also people who go through life in 'contrary mode,' taking the opposite side of any situation. It's a very annoying personality trait, but some people seem just to be stuck with it.

User Detail :  

Name : Augustine23606, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 39, City : Columbia, State : SC Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

annonymous
    Participant
    G.E.'s question has not been answered. She didn't ask why all white women nor did she say that white women were more bossy. No one has addressed the scenario in question: Why do white women in particular(we're talking about instances where this does occur)arrogantly, meddle in other employees' work when they are neither qualified nor the immediate supervisor? Nothing in her post said that these women were her manager/supervisor. In fact she indicated that they lacked the skillset and position that warranted their input in the first place. Why can't we collectively fess up when the shoe does fit? There are white women who do this and it is related to them being white. To identify an issue is not an indictment against an entire group. Will someone honestly answer the question. If nobody's ever guilty of prejuice or stereotyping there would be no need for this board. And we all know that isn't our reality.

User Detail :  

Name : annonymous, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 34, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, 

jane-doe20930
    Participant
    I am a white female who went to work for a large firm where I was in the minority; I was the only white in my section and I had a black supervisor who thought of herself as a so-called 'team leader.' Workers only got a 30 minute UNPAID meal break and could dress casually. Dress down day was Friday. This black supervisor firstly began to assume that she could interrupt me BEFORE working hours in the lounge when I was trying to read a book and just enjoy a cup of coffee with irrelevant questions and/or totally IGNORING THAT I WAS TRYING TO READ A BOOK--IE, TO BE BLUNT, THIS FEMALE WAS QUITE RUDE. Further, if I went to use the bathroom, THE SUPERVISOR SENT ALONG ONE OF HER CRONNIES,for what purpose I NEVER KNEW. I was never late, on time and prompt with my breaks and meal breaks. SHE NEVER DID THIS WITH BLACK FEMALE EMPLOYEES. On Fridays, this supervisor REQUIRED her team to go to a certain eatery --on the UNPAID meal break as a so-called 'team.' I did not have any trouble with that UNITL THIS NOSY INDIVIDUAL BEGAN TO ASK ME VERY PERSONAL ILLEGAL QUESTIONS. After one such session, I walked out of the eatery, meal uneaten, and when she challenged me about it, I told her in no uncertain terms that THE MEAL BREAK WAS UNPAID and that I should be able to spend the time as I WANTED. I was even angrier when she put her hands on me without my permission and when I learned that she was asking illegal questions to try and use her position to COERCE ME INTO DATING A CERTAIN BLACK MALE. I went over her head; complained about racial and sexual harrassment--AFTER CONSULTING AN ATTORNEY. This woman was severely reprimended! (I was happy to quit that company!) In another situation, I had a black male as a supervisor. I had heard rumors about this male, but tended to disregard them.... Then, he approached me and asked me to invite him to my home. I bluntly said NO! Even after I had repeatedly said NO to his advances, he still continued to harrass me. He also cornered me in an office and tried to put his hands on me in an inappropriate manner. When I complained to management, they did NOTHING. Then, I consulted an attorney who specializes in harrassment situations in the workplace and did what I was told: I kept a diary of his agressive behavior and/or his inappropriate questions/comments. HE WAS FIRED!

User Detail :  

Name : jane-doe20930, City : anon, State : NA Country : United States, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.