White people … guilty or prideless?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Ronald-M
    Participant
    Why do white people seem to have no pride in themselves or their culture? By this I mean the white culture at large (not German American, Italian American etc.). Even in the preface of the book based on the Y? Forum - Why Do White People Smell Like Wet Dogs When They Come Out Of The Rain? - the white guy acts like an idiot when compared to his wise, all-knowing black friend. Pop culture, espically TV, seems to latch on to this stereotype as well. Look at the Y? book again. White people smelling like dogs is an insult, yet white people laugh it off, some probably saying 'We're just corny white people.' But if I said black people smell like dirty underarms, those same white people would chastise me. When did we become such a joke?

User Detail :  

Name : Ronald-M, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 20, City : Lowell, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : Truck Driver, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jacqeline-C
    Participant
    When you say 'white culture,' I'm not exactly sure what you mean. White is very broad and non-specific. The term includes everyone from a European background - the Irish, Swedes, Italians, Serbians, Albanians, Poles, the French... The list goes on and on. Even some people from Argentina and northern Africa are considered white. White also includes people of many different religions. To lump all of these people into one category is impossible. So, to take pride in just being white is meaningless.

As for the title of the book: Read the rest of the title ...and other questions worth a smack on the head from mom. Besides, I believe it is important to be able to laugh at ourselves. Everyone needs to let go enough to see the humor in everyday life.

User Detail :  

Name : Jacqeline-C, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 26, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

John
    Participant
    Your question in and of itself is a red flag. What 'white culture?' White is not an ethnicity. Only ethnicities have 'cultures.' African Americans, by virtue of their hundreds of years of separation from Africa and discrimination (and slavery) in America, formed their own ethnic characteristics. Hispanics, when classed as a 'race,' must be thought of as having many cultures, as they come from varied regional backgrounds. Same with Asians, and finally with whites. Race is an arbitrary and misleading idea. It has no relevance to cultural standards. If someone makes fun of people based on skin color, the usual reaction of a reasonable person is to disregard it as frivolous when not serious and indefensible - from rational and moral points of view - and obnoxious racial stereotyping when suggested seriously.

User Detail :  

Name : John, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 44, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : systems analyst, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Mandi
    Participant
    I think the people who are responding to this question are dancing around the issue. Everyone knows who/what is white in America, so you shouldn't bother pretending you're confused about who/what would be included in the culture. And of course race is an artificial construct (so is time), but it permeates society nonetheless. I think the question is really trying to ask why white people in America don't embrace a cultural heritage. Save Native Americans, everyone here came from somewhere else. So why are whites (with the sometime exception of Irish and Italian) the only ones in the country who don't have a cultural origin attached to their identity (a hyphenated name)? And why exactly is white not an ethnicity? Don't whites have all their own counterparts to whatever constitutes black 'ethnic characteristics'? Whites have music, they have slang, they have 'home-cookin', what else do whites need? Cultural heritage identity, I suspect.

User Detail :  

Name : Mandi, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 21, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kelly
    The title of the book refers to the absorbtion of rain and oils in white folks' hair that makes it smell like wet dogs. Just the type of question to ask here at 'Y Forum.' I am Scottish and Welsh and very proud of my ancestry. So I guess that makes me 'white' and 'proud.' I'm not sure that all black people are proud just because of their skin tone, either. Many of my friends wear specific symbols of their national heritage. Not just 'black' stuff.

User Detail :  

Name : Kelly, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 22, City : Farmington Hills, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Steve
    Participant
    White people have been conditioned since kindergarten to be thankful we are white. And you are correct: A book called 'Whites Are Stupid' is not a problem. On the other hand, if someone were to publish 'Blacks Are Stupid' they would be sued and ridiculed. This is propagated by the media, and it is one of the biggest problems in race relations today. Many people who see blacks (African Americans) as nothing more than their co-worker have to watch every word they say, watch every thing they do as to not be branded racist. Though many of us could care less what color anyone is. Without straying too far from the point, let me offer this example: A black female I work with recently hired a financial advisor. After a couple of months she changed and said freely to me that she would never hire another black financial advisor because they are all lazy. Am I free to make the same observation? I'd better not. At least not publicly. Which keeps it behind closed doors and amplifies the whole thing. So to answer your question, whites have not lost their pride. It is just easier to ignore things and laugh things off than it is to fight the machine that is destroying this world.

User Detail :  

Name : Steve, Gender : M, Age : 27, City : Cincinnati, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : Programmer, 

M.W.
    Participant
    I think the key in your question is 'white culture at large.' What is 'white culture?' There is Italian culture, English culture, Greek culture, etc., but I don't think there really is a 'white culture.' One can define 'black' (African-American) culture simply because there's no way to separate African-Americans by their ancestors' ethnic groups; I'm sure many don't know what part of Africa their ancestors came from. So while 'white' is not one culture, 'black' is, at least in the United States. Regarding the title of the book, I bet they picked it because the question is something most people have never heard. It attracts attention, yet is so absurd it won't offend most people. If the title brought up a more well-known stereotype, like 'Why do black people steal so much,' it would be far more offensive, and for good reason.

User Detail :  

Name : M.W., Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 22, City : Cleveland, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

ED25455
    Participant
    Take a look at http://www.postfun.com/racetraitor. It gives an alternate explanation for the existence of 'white culture.'

User Detail :  

Name : ED25455, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, City : KansasCity, State : MO Country : United States, 

John
    Participant
    I would have to strongly disagree. I have no idea what constitutes 'white' cooking, 'white' music etc.. Is it white just becuase it is not black or Hispanic? What do Bach, Johnny Cash, and polka music have to do with one another, to use an example?, Nor do I feel any special cultural identification with other whites unless they also happen to also be of Easrern European Jewish background like myself. My other half is Scotch-Irish of mid-Southern origin. I find his family's culture as distinct from my own background as that of my ex, who was second generation American of Mexican origin. I think what you may feel is that there are 'dominant' American cultural norms which conflict with some norms in minority cultures, but I don't think the former are extensive enough in and of themselves to form a culture. When I hear people talk of 'white pride' I cringe because what I really feel I am hearing is a buzzword for trashy old white supremacism.

User Detail :  

Name : John, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 44, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : systems analyst, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Anastasia-G
    Participant
    I understand exactly what you mean and am amazed at all of the responses received from people who did not know there existed a 'white culture' in the United States. I teach white heritage and awareness, along with civil rights issues. Some people say 'I didn't know whites needed civil rights!' Most whites are not raised as 'white,' and through media and other resources, they have some guilt about even mentioning the term 'white.' Me, I'm proud, I am a white woman who never apologizes for being the race she is.

User Detail :  

Name : Anastasia-G, Gender : F, Race : European, Religion : Lutheran, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : Activist, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Steven-G
    Participant
    I think the reason is a cultural assumption that white is the default, 'normal' race. If I describe a movie as, 'A man meets a woman and they fall in love,' my bet is the picture in your head is a white man and a white woman. (Is it?) And what's the point of celebrating being normal? People don't shout from the rooftops about being average or normal in any other respect (job performance, musical ability, athletic prowess, weight, whatever) so why should race be any different? I don't think it has anything to do with being white per se. I've never heard of a black-pride march in an African city - the context there is that black is normal, and pride or shame never enter into it.

User Detail :  

Name : Steven-G, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 30, City : Sunnyvale, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Programmer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

C. Brown
    Participant
    I think it's quite simple that people are more aware of cultural 'Pride' when they are either culturally isolated, culturally oppressed, or both. If I as a white person ever found myself being treated like other races in the US have been treated, I imagine I would make it my business to remind myself and my family why we are special and unique. Also, there are a lot of white people out there who really have no culture. Their national origins have been mixed so much that they don't even know where they came from. About all they know as a common culture is American patriotism, which is not (or at least should not be) white only.

User Detail :  

Name : C. Brown, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 28, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Jessica
    Participant
    This relates a little to what Amanda from Boston said: I was actally going to use Irish- and Italian-Americans as examples of pride. Do the hyphens come from the enthusiasm of these groups for their heritage, or vice-versa? I don't know, but I do know that of all my friends, those who are the 'Boston Combo,' (a phrase we coined for 1/2 Irish, 1/2 Italian) identify very strongly with their ancestry, whether they are one or four generations removed from the motherland. I can't say this about my friends who are of Polish, German, French, etc. descent.

User Detail :  

Name : Jessica, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 22, City : Framingham, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Robert29542
    Participant
    My 'pride' is not centered on my skin color, but my Scots background. But for any white to try and claim anything but 'whiteness' is taboo. We are only allowed the role of Evil Racist White Devil. No one takes seriously the idea that Irish or Scots or German descent has any meaning. And indeed for many it does not. But some of us have strong family traditions and have kept touch with our family's culture. But being white in today's America, I say very little about it to anyone. White males are the ONLY group that can be degraded and libeled with impunity, and any defense of 'white people' is enough to get you fired or ostracized. I've seen it happen. So in some cases, it's not that we're prideless or guilty, but scared to get labeled racist. The PC movement (yes, it does exist and you know it) has entirely cut off the serious discussion of race in public by automatically demonizing whites and anything we say. It's a no-win situation; so some of us choose not to play the game. We just keep out of discussions on race, and leave the room when they come up. It may seem awful to the multiculturalists that we do this, but I can't afford to lose my job for suggesting that not all whites are secret members of the Klan, or that some blacks are racist. Not worth it. And I refuse to parrot the 'approved view' when I don't agree with it. Can you say 'chilling effect'? I knew you could. Disappointed in Dallas

User Detail :  

Name : Robert29542, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 48, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, 

Andres
    Participant
    The white Argentines you speak of came from Spain, so they, too, are European.

User Detail :  

Name : Andres, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 25, City : Chambersburg, State : PA Country : United States, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.