White girls shouldn’t talk jive

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Beth
    Why is it that when a white girl or woman dates black men, after a while they start speaking in a black dialect? Should dating someone outside your race make you lose your identity? Or does it just make them feel like they fit in more with their new 'better half?' A friend of mine does this, and it makes me think she's not very comfortable with her choice of partner or with herself.

User Detail :  

Name : Beth, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 34, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Freelance writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Sarah
    It could just be that she's modified her language a bit to make him feel more comfortable. It may be that he's toned down his Ebonics (or whatever you want to call it - I think it's an ugly-sounding word). I have recently been seeing a black guy on and off, and when he's around his friends I literally cannot understand the slang and what he's saying, but he tones it down when he talks to me. Likewise, I borrow some of his slang and mannerisms when I talk to him. It's to make each other feel more comfortable, and to understand each other better.

User Detail :  

Name : Sarah, Gender : F, Age : 22, City : Tampa, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Artist, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Danielle
    Participant
    I have seen this and don't understand it, either. The friend is probably trying to fit in somewhere I believe she will never fully fit into.

User Detail :  

Name : Danielle, Gender : F, City : Ewing, State : NJ Country : United States, 

Diana
    Participant
    I am married to a black man yet don't speak a lot like a black person. The times I do I think I pick it up from being around black women, either as friends or at work. But I don't try and talk "black." I'm very happy being Italian.

User Detail :  

Name : Diana, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Italian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 53, City : Richmond, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : nurse, Education level : Technical School, 

Natalie20080
    Participant
    If you were from the North and dated a man from the South, chances are you'd pick up a few 'Southern' expressions. The same thing goes for blacks dating whites.

User Detail :  

Name : Natalie20080, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, 

TG27576
    Participant
    I think we all tend to pick up words and phrases from those we are around. I also agree with the idea of just wanting to be able to relate better with her partner. I think 'jive talk' nowadays is more of a younger generation kind of thing. I hear teenagers of all races using the same slang words.

User Detail :  

Name : TG27576, City : Springfield, State : IL Country : United States, 

Treyfe
    People tend to follow accents and speech patterns they're exposed to. Some are more prone to this than others. If I am talking to someone who has a different accent than mine, or uses different slang, I often can't help imitating them. I don't do it on purpose, and it's embarassing when I catch myself doing it (or when someone else has to point it out to me, like the British guy who thought I was English too.)

User Detail :  

Name : Treyfe, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Atheist, City : San Francisco, State : CA Country : United States, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.