White Man’s Burden for wealthy Asian Americans?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

J. L.
    I am Asian. When I was young I lived in Connecticut, in an all-white neighborhood. I used to be taunted and humiliated because of my race. When I moved to New York City, I lived in a predominantly African American and Caribbean neighborhood. I physically assaulted, taunted, and humiliated because of my race. I feel resentful when African Americans and Latinos rail against racial discrimination because *I* have been racially victimized by African Americans and Latinos. Now, I am a fairly successful professional who is aware that the children who tormented me when I was young--Black and Latino primarily--may be economically and educationally more disadvantaged than myself. But should I feel any sympathy for these people who, as children made my life a living hell? Should Asian Americans, as the model minorities, be expected to feel sympathy for more disadvantaged minorities? Do Asian-Americans take on the 'white man's burden' because many of us are successful and wealthy? Or do we feel no sympathy because many of us came from equally impoverished roots and were racially victimized by those who claim to be victimized?

User Detail :  

Name : J. L., Gender : F, Race : Asian, Age : 26, City : Jersey City, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.