“White Entertainment” awards?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Tracie
    Why do a lot of black people act like it's OK to be proud to be black and if white people say they are proud to be white, they are automatically classified as being racist? If white people held an annual White Entertainment or NAAWP Awards, it would be boycotted by the NAACP and Jesse Jackson and said to be a racist event. Why is this?

User Detail :  

Name : Tracie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 27, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Denisia
    Participant
    If black people or other minorities were in the majority and white people were the minority, things would be the other way around. It is just a way to celebrate what is not mainstream.

User Detail :  

Name : Denisia, Gender : F, City : Chantilly, State : VA Country : United States, 

Anne
    Participant
    Only recently did we begin celebrating ethnicities and cultural history other than the Caucasian race. Up until about 50 years ago we celebrated whiteness by prohibiting black actors to be nominated for awards and having a lack of minority characters on TV shows. Even now most are still white. Young black children today identify white dolls as being preferable to black dolls. We're still very much a racist society. I also think there is a cultural aspect to it that whites don't seem to have. Maybe something to do with being a minority? Maybe the BET awards will peeter out in a few generations when (hopefully) everyone is on a more level playing field.

User Detail :  

Name : Anne, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 22, City : Iowa City, State : IA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    The NAACP Image Award is given in recognition of African Americans who strive for and reach excellence in every walk of life, from the arts to education to business. Let me ask you: Why are you so threatened and perturbed by African Americans who recognize the achievements of other African Americans, famous and not famous? What is it about us celebrating our successes that has your thong in a bunch? Understand this: We will continue to celebrate OUR successes in life, the big and the little ones - from my 12-year-old son making honor roll and earning a black belt in karate to Halle Berry and Denzel Washington earning Oscars, to Dr. Ben Carson being recognized as one of the greatest pediatric neurosurgens to date. We will continue to celebrate high achievers who are alive and who have passed on. And if you have a problem with that, that's too damn bad. In the interim, I would strongly advise that you and other whites obsessed with African-American people stop worrying about what we choose to celebrate, or what we choose to name our children, or what we choose to call ourselves, and tend to your own affairs. We are no longer your business; we stopped being your business when slavery was abolished in this country. You need to make better use of your time than asking dumb-ass questions about my people. As for the NAAWP awards, celebrate whatever the hell you like. Just mind your own business and leave my people alone.

User Detail :  

Name : Rhonda-P-Outlaw19468, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 43, City : Laurelton, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Account Representative, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Mellisa
    Participant
    Thanks for speaking out. I have always been angered by that myself. A lot of scholarships are given to blacks because they are predominantly low income. My husband barely makes enough money to feed us properly. I have filled out those scholarships and been denied because it was minority-specific and not judged by financial need.

User Detail :  

Name : Mellisa, Gender : F, City : Wilkesboro, State : NC Country : United States, 

Jim
    Participant
    This BET awards are a product of BET Television, which was founded in response to the lack of quality programming for African Americans in the 1980s. The awards provide recognition to artists who are respected and admired among African Americans but are neglected by the pop or white award shows. The name is of little importance but the cause is noble and there are awards that have never and will never award an African American anything, i.e. country music awards (although it was invented by African Americans), bluegrass awards, etc. They don't have to be named the white awards to be just that. Come on. If you don't like the BET awards, don't watch them.

User Detail :  

Name : Jim, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : African Methodist Episcopalian, Age : 32, City : jones, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : Tax accountant, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

KN
    Participant
    I believe that very few people would deem you as 'racist' just for being proud to be white; everyone should be contented with who they are. A problem arises when your racial pride manifests as a feeling of superiority as compared to other racial groups. Because a group that you are not a part of celebrates the achievements of its members doesn't indicate that it thinks any less of those who are not part of that group. The situation is more along the lines of a family reunion. Would you feel slighted by not being part of a family reunion when it was not your family that was being celebrated? Perhaps you should look into the history of mainstream award shows and question why it is that black and latino people feel the need to have separate events.

User Detail :  

Name : KN, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 28, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Attorney, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Rick19481
    Participant
    Country music awards were invented by African Americans? The roots of country music lie in the folk songs of Irish, Scots, and English settlers of the Appalachians and other parts of the South. Later, blues influences were incorporated. Your claim that African Americans invented country music is like saying rap music was invented by whites, because they were the first ones to write rhyming poetry in English.

User Detail :  

Name : Rick19481, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, City : Springfield, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Rick19480
    Participant
    A couple of corrections to your diatribe. First, the original poster may not be 'threatened' by such awards as you accuse. Rather, she wonders about the hypocrisy when similar awards for whites are not allowed. Second, your hostile comments about the question being 'dumb-ass' are misplaced, since such questions are the whole point of Y-Forum.

User Detail :  

Name : Rick19480, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, City : Springfield, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

kathy
    Participant
    I don't understand why a lot of black people are so hostile to me when I try to be friendly. I am not saying all; I have some really good friends that are black. A lady just moved into my neighborhood who is black, I tried to smile and wave and she just ignored me (and yes she saw me). Then her son called my daughter a F****** B****. And then told my 11 year old daughter that their side is the black side and her side is the white side and to stay on her side. Also how come her son can say that to my daughter but if my daughter were to say something like that to her son it would be considered racism???? My daughter is not racist at all; she always looks for the good in any person. But since this new neighbor has moved in, her son is rude to my daughter and the oldest son is causing trouble in the neighborhood. If she hates whites so much how come she moved her and her kids into a mostly white neighborhood? Now another black family moved in near me and they are hostile as well. I feel badly about feeling this way, but I feel like the quality of the neighborhood is now declining. We had no problems here until they moved here. Why are they so hostile to me and are causing problems??? If they don't like us why are they moving here and bringing all this trouble with them???? More black people are racist to me then I am to them. I do still do my best to see each person as an individual person as a person (not by the color of their skin) but it is getting harder when you have to watch every thing you say that they might take offense to. I did nothing to black people, my ancestors did nothing to black people, so why should I have to pay for something my family or me didn't even do???? And what about the American Indians??? (Which is part of my nationality). I think that they were treated just as badly if not worse. This country took everything from them including their spirit. I don't see them constantly calling people racists. Most of them are still living on reservations.

User Detail :  

Name : kathy, Gender : F, City : Oak Brook, State : IL Country : United States, 

Christine19503
    Participant
    there ARE 'white' awards--awards for italian acheivement, irish, etc..plenty of organizations out there.

User Detail :  

Name : Christine19503, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 24, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : personal assistant, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Randy
    Participant
    Uhhhh ... have you ever heard of affirmative action? Have you ever heard of reverse discrimination? You need to take a closer look at what is going on around you! White people may not be in the minority as far as 'Numbers' go, but many a qualified white man has been passed over in the workplace just to 'Satisfy The Numbers'. Affirmitive Action is a synthetic way of turning the Majority into the Minority, and it happens every day.

User Detail :  

Name : Randy, Gender : M, City : Redford, State : MI Country : United States, 

ED
    Participant
    Oh, bullshit. Are you too stupid to tell when a scholarship is for a 'minority', but you apply for them anyway? Maybe that's your problem.

User Detail :  

Name : ED, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, 

malika Hampton
    Participant
    As an African American I believe it is important to know and respect you history and accomplishments. I also believe that award shows like the BET awards were created to award the excellence of many blacks whose accomplisments were denied at other award shows. However, music awards in particular, I see NO need for a separate award show. Black music seems to dominate this culture. You see it in commercials, movies, etc. When you watch regular award shows like the American Music Awards or the MTV awards it seems to be dominated by Black music... Hip Hop in particular. If you want to create awards shows that celebrate Black achievement in Music... pick another genre... Black music is everywhere.

User Detail :  

Name : malika Hampton, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 29, City : Columbus, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : graphic designer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Denise
    Participant
    Whites already have their own award shows. They're called The Grammy's, The Academy Awards, The American Music Awards, The Emmy's and so on. Awarding 1 or 2 african americans at each awards doesn't make it a fair and balanced event. Until then, there is a need for a separate award show that will honor african americans that are overlooked by mainstream i.e. white america.

User Detail :  

Name : Denise, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 24, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.