White Bread

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Brando
    Participant
    What does the term "White Bread" mean?

User Detail :  

Name : Brando, City : Athens, State : NA Country : Greece, 

Rick29822
    Participant
    I think the phrase is usually used to mean bland, mainstream, unduly wholesome. Your local library could probably find a definition for you in a slang dictionary.

User Detail :  

Name : Rick29822, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, City : Springfield, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Barb
    Participant
    I agree with Rick. I don't think it has anything to do with race. I think it's because white bread, as compared with other breads, is bland and without much substance.

User Detail :  

Name : Barb, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 46, City : Reading, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Lori22580
    Participant
    White Bread (literally, the bread) is made from white flour which has parts of the wheat removed -a lot of the 'roughage' that gives whole wheat bread a stronger flavor - stronger but unappealing for some people. So as a metaphor, the expression 'white bread' referring to style, cooking, personality, etc. usually means no particular ethnic, regional or cultural flavor, i.e. bland but inoffensive. Think of TV newscasters who have rid themselves of any individual accent or speech patterns, clothing or hairstyles that would betray their background.

User Detail :  

Name : Lori22580, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 41, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class, 

EJ
    Participant
    I recently heard this term used in a question on a game show, and the answer is that 'white bread' really has nothing to do with race. It means 'dull, boring, plain, etc'. Kind of like how white bread is plain and doesn't have a whole lot of flavor.

User Detail :  

Name : EJ, City : Somewhere, State : WI Country : United States, 

Liam22913
    Participant
    I can't believe I know this answer. The term 'white bread' stems from the Middle Ages. The upper class, such as tavern owners and merchants, were the only ones able to afford the flour needed to make white bread, and even that was only occasionally. Later, during renaissance times, white bread was more prevalent due to milling technology, but still referred to the upper class. When people started moving to the new world they used it to refer to the elite, which were white, Anglo-Saxon. Jews ate unleven bread and grain breads but whites ate white bread from habit and status. As the cost declined the middle class was the main market for this type of bread. Hence, the term 'white bread' refers to middle-class, white.

User Detail :  

Name : Liam22913, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : McDonald, State : NA Country : Canada, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Wayne-C24368
    Participant
    When not referring to cuisine (literally, white bread) I have heard it used in my presence only a few times. Usually by someone Jewish, though sometimes by a White person that has a very racially diverse set of friends. Example: When my new co-worker (who has that diverese set of friends) first went to our client company, she later remarked 'My God, that's one of the most Whitebread companies I've ever been in.' This referred to the fact that almost everyone that worked there was White. Usage of the term by Jewish people that I know is similar. In this context, it tends to mean a place or occassion that, while you might want it to be culturally diverse, was nearly exclusively populated by Whites (non-Jewish). In the case of the company referred to above, the offices were on a large floor that seated at least 200 cubicles. Including myself, there were 3 Blacks (and I was an external consultant), 1 Asian, 1 Indian (no, not Native American)and... nope, that's it.

User Detail :  

Name : Wayne-C24368, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 41, City : Parsippany, State : NJ Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Banders
    Participant
    I agree w/ all of this.....the term 'white bread' is like 'plain jane' or 'goody-two-shoes' w/ a wholesome suburban twist.....it reminds me of someone/something so plain it blends in, so pure it lacks signature expression, and so normal it seems rather boring.... in a way that is accepted, but often ignored....I do not belive this term is meant to be racially offensive....it is simply stating that someone/something....is somewhat like the tv moms or dads from back in the day.....June Cleaver from the show 'Leave it to Beaver' for example, would be considered 'White Bread', but we love her all the same.(Not to label the character as boring,or forgotten)

User Detail :  

Name : Banders, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 18, City : a. county, State : SC Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.