Which one?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • Author

Douglas
    Participant
    Can anyone tell me, once and for all, which religious belief is the one true faith that will guarantee me a place in heaven? And, why should I believe you?

User Detail :  

Name : Douglas, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 40, City : Pontiac, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Rick29821
    Participant
    There's no evidence of any afterlife, so don't worry about it.

User Detail :  

Name : Rick29821, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, City : Springfield, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Arnold Urbonas
    Participant
    Biblical faith will get you a place in heaven. Some churches have distorted Biblical teaching. (1)Recognize that we have all fallen short of perfection and have wilfully done wrong at one time or another. (Rom 3:23) (2) We deserve punishment, but God has given us a gift in Christ Jesus. (Rom 6:23) (3) It is God's work, and not our own, to get us to heaven. (Titus 3:5)Our part is to believe and trust in God to do what He said He will do.Hebrews 11:6 Anyone who comes to God must believe that God is real. And he must believe that God will bless those who try to find him. God will reward a person, if he really tries to find God. The Bible is God's Word, and is shown to be true by the archaelogical records which have shown the actual characters of the Old Testament and New Testament exist. Evidence that Demands a Verdict by Josh McDowell is a good place to start, if you are willing to examine everything rigorously.

User Detail :  

Name : Arnold Urbonas, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Edmonton, State : NA Country : Canada, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Ben S.
    Participant
    It may sound a bit of a hackneyed answer, but the one true faith is the one that you find within yourself. Any exoteric or externally manifested religon that you practise must conform to that, or it isn't ultimately going to work for you. Therefore as your understanding grows, you may even find that the external religion you practise changes. You should believe me, because in the end you have to believe yourself.

User Detail :  

Name : Ben S., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : New Age/Metaphysical, Age : 35, City : Melbourne, State : NA Country : Australia, Occupation : corrections officer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

P.M.B.
    Participant
    You're going to get all kinds of answers depending on what religion a person belongs to. I will tell you in all sincerety that Christianity is the one true religion, and unless you believe in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior you will not be saved. The second part of your question is much more difficult. Why should you believe me? Indeed, if you are looking for some formula or 'proof,' you're not going to find it. That's why religion involves faith. Every religion I know of involves believing what you can't understand. Christianity is the only religion that says there is nothing you can do yourself to be saved, except believe. I think this turns a lot of people off because we must admit that we can't control everything. Read the Bible seriously, get some Christian religious books and look at Luthers small and large catechisms, which explain the Lutheran belief and why we believe it.

User Detail :  

Name : P.M.B., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 49, City : Appleton, State : MN Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Omer-G
    Participant
    Religion is a manmade thing that can never guide you to the right place. It's a way to control people by providing such attractive and alluring scenarios as heaven. That's why man, who is and has always been greedy, looks for the most attractive benefits each religion provides after his death so he can enjoy a good life in the future. I would say there is no heaven or hell. A person dies and it's over, the same as with all the animals, and there is no religion that can take you there. All a person can hope for is a good conscience that can direct a him or her, even when there is no concept of heaven or hell. A person who does good just because his religion says so is ignorant and heartless.

User Detail :  

Name : Omer-G, Religion : Atheist, City : Toronto, Ontario, State : NA Country : Canada, 

Arnold-Urbonas
    Participant
    Although history has shown that people can be and have been abusively controlled by religion, history is showing that without moral restraint, people mess up their lives with drugs, broken families, sexual diseases, violence etc. If logic were in control, smoking, alcoholism and other ills would be under control. Illogical behaviour is 'king,' leading to what I want, to what feels good. From a pragmatic point of view, the purpose of 'healthy religion' is to maximize our life. To help others, to love others, to sacrifice one's own desires for someone else helps society to function to the best of its ability. In fact, a person's happiness increases when s/he focuses on helping another person. The Bible points out that we are only passing through this world. Our home is in eternity with God. The Bible speaks of being cleansed from sin by Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection to prepare us for eternity. All that the Bible teaches is for people to possess love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, patience and self-control. All these are admirable. Those who don't or don't want to believe in eternal life are hostile towards those that do. As a believer and follower of Christ, I see the world as a beautiful creation, an appetizer for the world to come where there will be no sorrow, nor crying nor death.

User Detail :  

Name : Arnold-Urbonas, Gender : M, Age : 49, City : Edmonton, State : NA Country : Canada, Social class : Middle class, 

Pete30371
    Participant
    Some people will say that theirs is the only true religion, but according to your question, there can't be more than one, which leads to the question of whether there actually is one true religion. I say it's whichever one you want (or none at all). The right belief is one that makes the most sense to you. There are plenty out there; decide for yourself.

User Detail :  

Name : Pete30371, Gender : M, Age : 23, City : Richmond, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Justin27065
    Participant
    ...if 'religion' can be taken as a core morality or set of principles, i would say the one 'religion' that holds the key to man's salvation is a program of murder and destruction set to the goal of abolishing the darkness of 'faith in god' from the face of the earth. we should start by bulldozing/filling all religious sites in the so called 'holy land' and see if the jews and muslims still think a thin stretch of desert is worth killing over. then we'll do everybody a long due favor and raze vatican city to the ground with all the fat, rich hypocrits inside. how many so-called secular governments do you suppose would fall into disaray without those puppetmasters? then we go from small religion to small religion like missionaries, only we bring reason instead of another 'god'. that way, a hundred years later they're not so easily exploited by devils with soft voices bearing crosses and such. yes. freedom FROM religion.

User Detail :  

Name : Justin27065, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Demetris
    Participant
    I've wondered the same question since I was a little child. Whoever I asked would say their religious is the best and will get you in heaven. Whether it was the Witnesses, the Methodists, Mormons, Baptist, they all said the same thing. But someone told me something: 'Just go by the commandments.' They are described more in depth in the book of Matthew in the King James Bible. The commandments are a guideline for getting into heaven. The only true belief is the belief you have in those commandments and the faith you have in yourself and God to follow each of them.

User Detail :  

Name : Demetris, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 18, City : Durham, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : Full-time Student, Education level : High School Diploma, 

Kristina
    In my opinion, no religion can guarantee you a place in heaven. Why? Because religion is more complex than just simply the worship of God. It is also a form of cultural expression that integrates society and history in its constructs; it is based more on opinion than facts. If you ask a Christian, for example, why he or she believes Christ is God (a belief that some religious groups cannot accept fully), he or she will tell you it's because of 'faith,' or simply an overwhelming 'feeling' that tells them this is true. Buddhists, Jews, Muslims or those of other types of religions also have this same type of faith in believing their religion is the best one. And because faith has no factual or scientific basis, you really don't know which one is right. With that being said, what religion should you choose? To me, it doesn't matter. God has not really made it crystal clear what path is appropriate for salvation. Many would argue with me (especially Christians because that's what I am) and use as an argument their 'faith', and reference to their holy books (which usually are archaic writings that reflect society in earlier days) to say their religion is a must for heaven. And, although some actual history can be found in these books, the other elements of religion contained in them can not be proven by today's scientific logic, unless one has the ability to go back in time. One example of this is Jesus Christ. Historians accept him as a historical figure, but many (unless they are Christian) do not accept him as divine. Christians believe he is divinity because of 'faith' and also the miracles He did in the Bible, but can these miracles be scientifically or even historically proven? At the present moment, no. So where is there proof that Christianity is right? There is none. This example (with probably tons of others that can be found in various religions) is why I think God does not really care. Religion is just a method of worshipping Him; there is freedom to choose which one you want. In conclusion, choose the religion that is best suited for you, if you must have a religion. Some people worship God but don't follow an organized religion. This means they don't go to a church or do religious rituals, but they do strive to do good and worship God as they see fit. What matters is what is in your heart.

User Detail :  

Name : Kristina, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 20, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : Transcriber, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Pat
    Participant
    It depends on what you consider heaven to be. Buddhism teaches that the endless cycle of rebirth is hell, and in order to attain enlightenment you must do away with greed and the sense of self. You can meditate, and hold fewer viewpoints. Stay neutral, and let people be themselves. There is a code of conduct. And if some of the writings seems tedious, remember that the dying Buddha told his students they must remove the edicts that were not so important. Unfortunately he didn't tell them which ones those were. So you have to figure it out yourself. So be a teacher, and meditate.

User Detail :  

Name : Pat, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Religion : Bahai Faith, Age : 22, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Karen26760
    Participant
    You are going to make up your own mind, but let me give you my opinion anyway. People are always trying to reach God. Christianity is the only religion that God came down to us. The Bible too has never been proven wrong. Look at the prophets of many of the world religions. They have been mere men and not that they were bad, but they all had sinful natures. There's nothing substantially written about Christ that says or proves that he ever did anything wrong or sinful. Historically, you can dig up something bad about just about anybody. Amazingly, not true about Jesus. For more insight if you are interested, read 'Know Why You Beleive' by Paul Little. It's very insightful. Also, I would pray to God and ask Him to lead you to the truth as He wants you to know it. Be sincere and follow your heart. God will answer you.

User Detail :  

Name : Karen26760, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 32, City : Warren, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Loss Prevention, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Holly
    The Bible does give us clear indication that there would be one true religion, or 'faith.' Ephesians 4:5,6 tells us: '...one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all persons...' In fact, the Bible refers to true Christian teachings as 'the truth' (Read 1John 1) --- Yet, many religions believe in more than one God and more than one faith (although differing doctrines) as being correct. Just a few (though there are many) indications on how you can identify which religion is right are: 1, What are the teachings based on: the word of God, or the word of men? 2Timothy 3:16 says 'All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight...' The true religion should be based on the Bible since it is the word of God. Jesus said in Matt. 15:9 'It is in vain that they keep worshiping me, because they teach commands of men as doctrines.' If a religion is based upon man-made teachings instead of the bible it can't be correct. 2, Is God's name made known and being used? Jesus prayed to God in John 17:6 saying: 'I have made your name manifest to the men you gave me out of the world.' In the Lord's Prayer, Jesus said that we should pray for God's name to be sanctified' (Matt. 6:9) He used God's name -- Jehovah -- many times. A religion that professes to serve God would no doubt use his name. (Matt. 4:10) 3, Is true faith in Jesus Christ demonstrated? Many religions believe that we are saved only by whether we 'believe' in Jesus. We learn in the book of James that '... faith without works is dead.' James says further: 'You believe there is one God, do you? You are doing quite well. And yet the demons believe and shudder. But do you care to know, O empty man, that faith apart from works is inactive?' (James 2:26 --19,20) In the book of Matthew Jesus told his disciples many things that would identify the true faith, one of which was: 'Not everyone saying to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter into the kingdom of the heavens, but the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will.' (Matt7:21 --read all of Matthew 7) This pretty much sums it up, the true religion will be doing the will of God. If you truly want to know what the right religion is, pray to God and tell him it is your desire to know which religion to follow. He will bring them to you and your prayers will not go unanswered!!

User Detail :  

Name : Holly, Gender : F, Age : 28, City : Annapolis, State : MD Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Holly
    The Bible gives us clear indications that there would be one true religion, or 'faith.' Ephesians 4:5,6 tells us: '...one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all persons...' In fact, the Bible refers to true Christian teachings as 'the truth' (Read 1John 1) Yet, many religions believe in more than one God and more than one faith (although differing doctrines) as being correct. Just a few (though there are many) indications on how you can identify which religion is right are: 1, What are the teachings based on: the word of God, or the word of men? 2Timothy 3:16 says 'All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight...' The true religion should be based on the Bible since it is the word of God. Jesus said in Matt. 15:9 'It is in vain that they keep worshiping me, because they teach commands of men as doctrines.' If a religion is based upon man-made teachings instead of the bible it can't be correct. 2, Is God's name made known and being used? Jesus prayed to God in John 17:6 saying: 'I have made your name manifest to the men you gave me out of the world.' In the Lord's Prayer, Jesus said that we should pray for God's name to be sanctified' (Matt. 6:9) He used God's name -- Jehovah -- many times. A religion that professes to serve God would no doubt use his name. (Matt. 4:10) 3, Is true faith in Jesus Christ demonstrated? Many religions believe that we are saved only by whether we 'believe' in Jesus. We learn in the book of James that '... faith without works is dead.' James says further: 'You believe there is one God, do you? You are doing quite well. And yet the demons believe and shudder. But do you care to know, O empty man, that faith apart from works is inactive?' (James 2:26 --19,20) In the book of Matthew Jesus told his disciples many things that would identify the true faith, one of which was: 'Not everyone saying to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter into the kingdom of the heavens, but the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will.' (Matt7:21 --read all of Matthew 7) This pretty much sums it up, the true religion will be doing the will of God. If you truly want to know what the right religion is, pray to God and tell him it is your desire to know which religion to follow. He will bring them to you and your prayers will not go unanswered!!

User Detail :  

Name : Holly, Gender : F, Age : 28, City : Annapolis, State : MD Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.