When you are “white”?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Brando
    Participant
    What is the range of skin colors a "white" person can have?

User Detail :  

Name : Brando, City : Athens, State : NA Country : Greece, 

k26954
    Participant
    if you think you are... then, you are if you think you aren't... then, you aren't

User Detail :  

Name : k26954, City : minneapolis, State : MN Country : United States, 

Ken Lim
    good question... But it can't be just skin color because Colin Powell, Mariah Carey & Michael Jackson are all still 'Black' by most standards. And a lot of people don't consider Indians [native Americans OR South Asians] whites, even though scientists mostly categorizes them as Caucasoid. an many Indians I know are far darker than many blacks I know. I think some Americans are pretty close-minded about what they consider 'white' ...it really equates to Anglo/Northern European. 'Olive-skin' probably doesn't count for some.

User Detail :  

Name : Ken Lim, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Age : 43, City : Cupertino, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

C. Phillips
    Participant
    Depending on where you are, the colors of those considered as 'white' can vary greatly. In America this term is used in many different ways. It tends to be applied to the most pale-skinned of any general community even though none are truly white.

User Detail :  

Name : C. Phillips, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : lupus, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 25, City : New Orleans, State : LA Country : United States, Occupation : university student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Susan
    Participant
    white is more than a skin color. it is a proud heritage and history. its like asking what color can a black person be. there's some black people with very pale skin, but to me they'll always be black. it's more about heritage. my parents are white, so are their parents. i'm pure.

User Detail :  

Name : Susan, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Wiccan, Age : 22, City : Parma, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Pablo19839
    Participant
    from paper-white : a guy I met a while ago who seemed to have no blood at all in his body (and he wasn't albino, a rare pigmentation defect), to a light brown (think tea w/milk) in Southern Europeans and even copper-brown (think coffee w/milk) if we include Arabs and northern Indians which are considered by anthropologists to come from the same 'root' as Europeans. But the majority has some varying blend of pink and brown with many hues: the swedish are whiter than the french are whiter than the spanish and so on... Just the same for Asians: many Japanese look white while in the Phillipines and Vietnam people are a dark brown.

User Detail :  

Name : Pablo19839, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 30, City : Berkeley, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : academic, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kelly R.
    I see lots of variations in Whites skin color. It's just not as easy to discern as it is with Blacks. Darker complected Whites are said to have an olive complection, while paler ones are said to be more sallow.

User Detail :  

Name : Kelly R., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Catholic, Age : 25, City : St. Louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : university instructor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jessica
    Participant
    I have come to the conclusion that there is no defined 'white,' 'black,' or otherwise. I am the whitest white person I know, and my skin has blue undertones. Other pale white people look pink. I've seen many white people who are darker than some black people. My least favorite colored skin (among any people) is that nasty orange color that people who tan unnaturally get.

User Detail :  

Name : Jessica, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 23, City : Huntsville, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Nydia
    Participant
    Most times, when people are viewed as 'white', it's more about an ethnicity thing than an actual thing about skin color. I have many family members that are creole, as in they have many white features, including hair and skin, etc., but they are still identified with blacks. If you are culturally white with dark skin, however, it hardly ever matters and is sometimes praised because of the year-round tan. It really doesn't matter how dark you are, but just the faxt that you can claim whiteness.

User Detail :  

Name : Nydia, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 16, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 
    There is really no range of skin colors for white.well,yes there is.they are white people with pinkish like skin tone or red.

User Detail :  

Name : Daisha-Fernindad31856, City : Edmond, State : CT Country : United States, 

flask21801
    Participant
    I know three people who are albino and black, therefore, skin color is not necessarily an identifyer of race.

User Detail :  

Name : flask21801, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Age : 27, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.