Whats wrong with being ‘country’?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Alma
    Participant
    I was at lunch with friends the other day and ordered beans, collard greens and cornbread. Although I know my black co-worker loves this food, she didn't order it. When I asked her later why, she said she didn't want her friends to consider her to be too 'country.' She also said she heard I wasn't selected for a job I applied for because the supervisor considered me too 'country.' I'm only hearing this from black Americans, specifically black women. Whats up with this? I may be from the mountains, but my manners are not in the ditch. What in the hell is wrong with being from the country? As I recall, Abe Lincoln was raised in a log cabin.

User Detail :  

Name : Alma, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, City : Kempner, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : contract employee, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

SR28468
    Participant
    I think the prevailing idea is that 'country' doesn't go over too well with the masses. Country people have the stigma of being uneducated hicks with no idea how to act civilized. I don't know why this is the prevailing stereotype when so many people -including myself - find country comforting. My dad's family is from the country (South Carolina), and they are the most wonderful people; they are the epitome of Southern gentleness and hospitality. I would much rather spend time with them than my mom's somewhat abrasive city-folk New England family. I think the stereotypical country bumpkin is a product of the media based on exploitation of character -i.e. the slower-paced life equals 'dumb'; the lilting accent is portrayed as a twang; the colloquialisms are exaggerated into ridiculous massacres of Standard American English. Be proud of your country roots. And by the way, I've always lived in big cities but think beans, collard greens and cornbread sounds like a great meal.

User Detail :  

Name : SR28468, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 22, City : Austin, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : student, 

Augustine23628
    Participant
    I worked for a time in an almost exclusively African-American environment, and I heard this (people and things being referred to as 'country'). I think it may be some kind of dichotomy between urban and rural tastes among blacks, and a stigma about the latter. There is something of the same among whites, of course, but it is not a big topic of conversation, let alone a point of discrimination. My own tastes run toward this kind of food, but I view it as part of a healthier lifestyle - I grow some of my own food, bake cornbread, cook seasoned (low-fat) greens, etc. but this is more a desire to return to a simpler way of life than anything else. So if that is 'country,' count me in. (And if anyone wouldn't hire or promote me for a reason like this, I can't imagine I'd be happy working for them, anyway.)

User Detail :  

Name : Augustine23628, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 39, City : Columbia, State : SC Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Emma R.
    Participant
    Beans, greens and cornbread are tasty, but I think it's presumptuous to assume that every black person would automatically order them when they go out. Do all Jews order gefilte fish? Do all Italians order lasagne? Do all Chinese order kung pao chicken? I think your friend was generous in responding to your question at all, let alone revealing her insecurities as she did.

User Detail :  

Name : Emma R., Gender : F, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, 

John
    Participant
    Popular culture and media representations do have much to do with the stereotypes created. The popular media for years portrayed women as helpless creatures needing rescue from all dangers, blacks as Uncle Tom smiling caricatures, Italians as Mafia thugs, etc. - at least until fairly recently, with the advent of political correctness. Certain stereotypes, however, are still employed and apparently acceptable when others are not. Country people can be ridiculed on TV because of their accents, lack of higher education or 'redneck' traits. If Hollywood wants to portray a character as ignorant, evil or sub-cultural, give him or her a country/Southern accent and viola: instant plot foil. Hollywood tends to deal in stereotypes because it is an easy visual hook that doesn't require real character developement: was it suprising that Forrest Gump spoke with a drawl? 'All In The Family' Archie Bunker was a Northerner because Norman Lear's message of tolerance and diversity would have been lost if the lead bigot was just another Southern stereotype (another of the last truly acceptable stereotypes being union workers as lazy and corrupt). The people with the least money and power are always the most susceptible to stereotypes.

User Detail :  

Name : John, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 38, City : Orlando, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Airline pilot/union leader, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.