What’s with the language?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Sam B.
    I don't mean to be offensive, but why do some black people refer to each other as nigger?

User Detail :  

Name : Sam B., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 15, City : Fallbrook, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Merry-C
    Participant
    Afro/African Americans who refer to each other as 'niggers' are ignorant. If you notice, your teachers, etc. don't call each other niggers. The word has been kicked around for so long that some people just accept it. People your age think that it is cool to refer to each other in that manner. Hopefully one day that ignorance will be just another bad memory.

User Detail :  

Name : Merry-C, City : Charlotte, State : NC Country : United States, 

Gregory H.
    It doesn't always have to do with ignorance. I am far from what anyone would consider ignorant, but my friends and I often use that word with each other. Our use of the word is as an inclusive term indicating a shared set of experiences, and the word has no poison when used between us because there is no intent to cause harm, anger or distress when we use it - and we have all experienced being called that word when such intent is present. Also, we don't actually say niggER; the word, as pronounced is more like niggA - which seems a minor distinction, but the hard ER sound at the end linguistically gives a strong impression of hurtful intent. And yes, we have been called that word for a long time by non-whites as a means of harming us, so should we forever let others dictate to us what harms us? What better way to disarm that than by appropriating a word used to degrade us and making it a positive thing within us? Think of a vaccine to a disease.

User Detail :  

Name : Gregory H., Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 24, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Jessica
    Participant
    We discussed this extensively in my James Baldwin seminar and came to the conclusion that frequent use and adoption of a hurtful/hateful term such as 'nigger' or 'bitch' reduces the impact over time. Over time, there is less stigma and less pain attached. I think there is an appropriate time and place for such language, though. A brother around the way has every right to say it whenever he pleases among friends, but I agree that it is not appropriate for a professional environment. Furthermore, casual use of the term will never be socially acceptable coming from someone other than a black person, no matter how 'down' they may perceive themself as being.

User Detail :  

Name : Jessica, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 22, City : Framingham, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.