What’s a bidet really for?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Redeemed-One30101
    Participant
    The first time I saw a bidet was when my ex-husband and I were stationed with the Air Force in Italy. We were told the same thing you were told. Although I never used one, I can see how it could be useful. What I couldn't understand was why it was needed when a bathtub was available. I suppose, though, for example, if a woman had an accident during her monthly cycle, she could effectively clean herself up without having to take a full bath. However, I can see a man using it as well. It's designed for a person to sit on and straddle while facing the faucets.

User Detail :  

Name : Redeemed-One30101, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 52, City : Newport News, State : VA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Pete
    Participant
    I consider myself pretty intelligent, but the first time I saw a bidet was in a hotel room, and like Crocodile Dundee, I hadn't the faintest idea of what they're for. The dictionary says they're 'used for washing one's genitals and posterior parts.' For whom? Women only? I can't imagine a guy using one - or do they, and when? Someone please explain.

User Detail :  

Name : Pete, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Heteroflexible, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Humanist, Age : 50, City : Portland, State : ME Country : United States, Occupation : Writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Nelson-A20161
    Participant
    I lived in the United States most of my life. When I first moved back to my home country (Venezuela), I was impressed to see this 'thing' in my bathroom that I had never seen in Kansas City. Well, I learned to use 'it.' When you go to the bathroom, plain old toilet paper will wipe, but it will not clean. Besides, normally, guys aren't as clean down there (front) as most women because of the shake-and-put-it-back-in routine (guys know what I'm talking about). Well, the bidet leaves you really clean and 'fresh,' without you having to take a full bath. But I have to admit that women use it more than men do, mostly because of male laziness. Anyhow, washing after going to the bathroom existed way before toilet paper; the bidet is just a more comfortable way of washing, for both men and women.

User Detail :  

Name : Nelson-A20161, Gender : M, Race : white-Hispanic, Age : 31, City : Caracas, State : NA Country : Venezuela, Occupation : lawyer/business, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Meg
    Participant
    In French, bidet means 'sink' or 'faucet.' A bidet has a European origin and is used to do exactly what you think it is used for: to clean. In Europe, one does not typically shower as much as an American does (at least once a day.) So in order to keep the most private of private parts clean, and maintain hygiene, a stream of water is used. I learned this is my French class. If I'm terribly wrong, please correct me.

User Detail :  

Name : Meg, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 17, City : Modesto, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Library Page/Assistant, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

H21399
    Participant
    We have a bidet - it came with the house - and as far as I know, nobody actually uses it. I just have one question: does it tickle? (Serious question - please respond.)

User Detail :  

Name : H21399, Gender : F, Religion : Atheist, Age : 16, City : Aberdeen, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, 

Diana
    Participant
    I've only seen/used bidets in hotel rooms. They provide a quick way - for both sexes - of thoroughly washing the "bits" Pete describes when there is not enough time for a full shower or bath. They are not very popular yet in the United Kingdom, and only the larger bathrooms in more expensive houses tend to be fitted with them.

Gross story coming up: I once had food poisoning on holiday and spent many hours sitting on the toilet and throwing up into the bidet at the same time - very convenient when you've got it at both ends.

By the way, Meg, where did you get the idea that Europeans don't shower as often as Americans? Some of us are just as clean as you! Besides, Europe consists of many diverse countries, each with its own culture - habits vary between them all.

User Detail :  

Name : Diana, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 42, City : Leicester, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.