What turns people away from their religion?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author

Jay31346
    Participant
    What causes people to abandon their faith - other than "switching" for a spouse? Are there certain aspects of religion that cause some followers to become disillusioned and adopt another faith or even become atheist or agnostic?

User Detail :  

Name : Jay31346, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ben S.
    Participant
    I turned away from Catholicism for a number of reasons, some philosophical,others personal. I'll deal with each briefly and should emphasise that these didn't happen at a distinct moment- my preference changed over time. The God described by Catholics did not seem similar to my experiences of the spiritual- the 'spirits' I perceive to exist and that help me have a kinder, pragmatic quality that doesn't align with what I was taught about the 'jealous God'. When I tried meditation I became aware of a God-experience which can only be lessened by description. So the type of God I experienced turned out to be different to that of the religion I was raised in. I also like ritual and feel that it has a great impact on the psyche - the Catholic Church since Vatican II has jettisoned much of its ritual and magic. What was left of the ritual of the Mass seemed grey and uninspiring and I could see little point in attending every week. In a period in my state where decriminalising male homosexual acts was a hot issue, I was saddened to see at least one priest, who I knew to be gay, knuckle under pressure and call for the retention of the law ! At the same time the Catholic Church was being successfully sued by many people who'd been sexually abused due to its cover-ups and neglect. I hadn't before believed the old mantra that the Church hierarchy were 'out of touch', but now it seemed very clear that the Church had a very poor understanding of sexuality and how to manage it, both within its own ranks and in the world. This was reinforced by a brief period where I boarded in a Catholic presbytery. The priest was a pedantic and rather cold young man, who seemed remote from his parishioners and treated me badly as his tenant. It got so I couldn't take him seriously when he stepped onto the altar. For all these reasons, I gave Catholicism away.

User Detail :  

Name : Ben S., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : New Age/Metaphysical, Age : 35, City : Melbourne, State : NA Country : Australia, Occupation : corrections officer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Eleanor T.
    Participant
    In my case, the history of 'the church' and the use of religion over the years as an excuse for repression, violence and cruelty. Any institution that demands subserviance and a blind belief in a mystical 'God' is open to all sorts of abuse and has been used - and still is - as a way of holding power over others. Also, in the case of Christianity, the Bible contains so many contradictions, resulting in vast differences of opinion even within one faith. It's no wonder people get disillusioned. Add to that the seeming inability of church leaders to adapt to modern society and the vast leaps of science in recent times, and the result we see today is a continuing decline in church attendance.

User Detail :  

Name : Eleanor T., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 22, City : Birmingham, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    There are probably as many answers as there are religions but there of the most prevalent are rooted in the fact that most people never objectively challenge what they believe, they just believe it. This leads to disillusionment real or imaginary, when what they believe does not square with reality. Something comes along that sounds better or is more acceptable to their internal beliefs. Third the idea that religion and objective truth are at odds.

User Detail :  

Name : Lewis Grant, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 57, City : guaynabo, State : NA Country : United States, Occupation : Manager, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    I think a more interesting question would be why people stay with the faith into which they were born rather than exploring other faiths and finding one that works for them. As a homosexual, I find plenty of aspects of almost every religion which might cause disillusionment. With the possible exceptions of the Methodist and Episcopal churches, every Christian sect is less than accepting of the 'homosexual lifestyle', whatever that is. When your church teaches that you are a sinner and less than human because of physical attractions over which you have no control, is it any wonder that some people might take offense and start to question the tenets of their faith? The notion of 'hate the sin, love the sinner' sounds good, but one wonders why the church opposes measures to protect gays from bashers. And then there's people like the Reverend Phelps who actually pickets the funerals of homosexuals. How Christian is this? All this aside, my reasons for abandoning faith and becoming an athiest are quite different. My parents started out raising their kids to be Catholic. I made my first communion, but we had already not been regular church-goers for a few years. As I grew up, I attended catechism classes and sometimes went to Bible school in the summer. The bible school, it turns out, was a pretty fundamentalist group. I can look back and remember how they taught that Genesis is the last word on how the Universe came to be, and that fossils are the work of Satan. Well, Satan is quite the practical joker then, isn't he? Closer examination of the Bible reveals numerous, glaring contratictions. For instance, Genesis chapter 2 contradicts the order of creation as laid out in Genesis 1. So the notion of the Bible as the literal truth and the infallable word of the Almighty gets tossed out the window. As I got older, and my attention turned to philosophy and science, I discovered that the notion of God itself doesn't pass logical scrutiny. And that is why I am an athiest.

User Detail :  

Name : Gay athiest, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 37, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kelly
    I think that for many people - certainly for me - there are two major reasons for abandoning 'faith' - (1) Becoming educated enough to notice and compare the contradictions within religions and between religions, and (2) becoming observant enough of daily life to notice that religion doesn't work - that prayers are not answered, that people who follow a religion are not happier, more successful, or anything else that indicates religion is doing anything for them. The more I learn about religions, including the one I was brought up in as a child, the less I like about them. And yes, I do read about them, and have read the 'bible' and other religious works; I do not abandon religion out of ignorance, but out of knowledge.

User Detail :  

Name : Kelly, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Austin, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Alan-Pierce28995
    Participant
    I spent my early life in religion. Attended a Christian College, did the church thing. Gave it all up as I observed the hypocrisy that goes with organized religion.They claim to teach love, but they teach hate. Claim to love everyone, but really only their own kind. Ministers go on the offensive, pad their pockets with cash. The best known religious leaders are the worst hypocrites.The primary goal is the largest church, most contributions, and nice cars and homes.

User Detail :  

Name : Alan-Pierce28995, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 57, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : former teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Allyson-Merrill
    Participant
    I was raised Roman Catholic--but became disillusioned by the bald fact that female communicants are viewed as different somehow-i.e. if I get a 'vocation' I would not be allowed to minister to a flock--therefore (as far as I am concerned) I am not an equal member of the flock.

User Detail :  

Name : Allyson-Merrill, Gender : F, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 38, City : Yarmouth, State : ME Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Josh29138
    Participant
    I'm a former Christian, and I would argue that those engaging in organized religion are the ones who are disillusioned. I believe in God, sure, but probably not in the way you do. I used to believe that Jesus was the son of God, but then I read various theological and sociological books,as well as books on other religions, and started thinking for myself.

User Detail :  

Name : Josh29138, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 21, City : Toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Chris32184
    Participant
    After 9-11 I came to grips with the fact that I no longer felt comfortable considering myself a Christian. Christians to me, especially in the USA, have become intollerant and abusive to non-Christians in the US and the world. Christians int eh US seem to be more about hating the different, preparing for doom and excluding others. I do not want to be a part of that. It is not that I no longer believe in God, but instead I have decided that I need to decide who God is for myself. As a part of that I have been exploring other religions and beliefes. Trying to come to grips with who I am, and how my beliefes can best be voiced by a religion. Beliefnet.com has been a great help in this.

User Detail :  

Name : Chris32184, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Paralyzed, Race : no way, Religion : searching, Age : 30, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Web guy, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

John
    Participant
    I don't know about other people, but, being a naturally curious person, I just dug deeper. The more you read about any religion, and see the lack of evidence for the legitimacy (or historicity) of any religious texts, the more you see how completely ludicrous they all are. Also, I just can't believe that a being capable of creating the universe would care what I do with my penis. God is constantly portrayed in religious texts as having the mannerisms and temperament of both an abusive father and a spoiled five-year-old. I just can't bring myself to believe in such a human, flawed, and petty creator. It's way easier just to believe nothing. I hope this answers your question.

User Detail :  

Name : John, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 25, City : Madison, State : WI Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kevin
    Participant
    I grew up in a Methodist household and my parents are both regular attendees of their respective churches, but I have found that I simply don't need religious faith in my life to feel complete or whole or at peace. Additionally, there are just so many aspects of the various faiths that are contradictory, hypocritical, and judgemental, that I find myself at odds with the vast majority. Which religion is the right one? Who goes to heaven and who doesn't? Why have faith in something that has been the cause of so much pain and suffering in the world throughout history? I can think of many other worthwhile things I can devote my attention and energy toward besides religious faith.

User Detail :  

Name : Kevin, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Well-behaved heathen, Age : 30, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Systems Administrator, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Sarah K.
    I was raised in an extremely fundamental christian family. When I became an adult and went to college, I began to realize that all the judgment and rigidity of my religion stemmed from a fear of anything or anyone that was different. As I became more informed, I realized that fundamentalism did not work in my life, and did not fit with my inner beliefs. Today I look at my family and feel sad because they are so limited by their fundamentalism. I feel very clear that I do not want that as a part of my life.

User Detail :  

Name : Sarah K., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 35, City : Austin, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : social worker, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Helen
    Of course, I cannot answer for anyone but myself. I turned away from religion after an upbringing in fundamental Christianity. I grew tired of living in constant fear of an all-seeing, all-knowing God. Although I read extensively, talked a lot with others and researched other religions, I was disillusioned by the way that most religions tend to indoctrinate their followers that theirs is 'the one true faith' and that all others are either wrong or failing. If, as the world's most common faiths all believe, there is only one God, what does it matter to them how that God is worshipped? I know there are many highly intelligent people who are strongly religious, but there are too many unanswered questions, and a lack of ability by the leaders of religion to answer them. It's just too easy to lay the load on 'God's' shoulders rather to question the background of any faith. I'd rather take full responsibility for my own actions, my own failures and my own successes than allow an invisible entity to do that for me.

User Detail :  

Name : Helen, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 57, City : Ottawa, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : writer, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Lois
    Participant
    When that faith preaches that who you are is wrong, that you need to deny part of yourself, and try to change 'with God's help'. I fell in love with another woman when I was 21, and struggled deeply with these issues in my conservative Presbyterian church. I was taught the Bible is The Word of God, and the passages from Leviticus and Romans were pretty clearly judgmental. Yet I knew this was a part of me that I couldn't change. Did that make me evil? I was not able to resolve the issues, and spent 10 years away from church. In the last year, I've started attending Meeting with the Religious Society of Friends (Quaker). They see 'that of God in every one', and accept all.

User Detail :  

Name : Lois, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Society of Friends, Age : 33, City : Philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.