What to do for wheelchair users

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Joe M.
    Participant
    Is it appropriate to hold the door or go out of my way to help an individual in a wheel chair?

User Detail :  

Name : Joe M., Gender : M, City : Sioux falls, State : SD Country : United States, 

Reed
    No more or less appropriate than holding a door or going out of your way to help anyone else.

User Detail :  

Name : Reed, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 25, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : Technical, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Murray-C
    Participant
    Putting aside the disability factor for a moment, would you not hold a door open for an able-bodied person? Just because you are in a position to help someone who happens to be in a wheelchair doesn't necessarily mean you are showing pity, but rather expressing common courtesy. In addition to people in wheelchairs, I've opened doors for people who are blind, elderly, pregnant, on crutches, with their arms full, etc.

User Detail :  

Name : Murray-C, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Halifax, Nova Scotia, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Draftsman, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Andy B.
    Participant
    My girlfriend, a wheelchair user, tells me to wait to be asked if you're a stranger. Spontaneous pushing of a wheelchair is invasive, and sometimes very frightening. On the other hand, I open doors for anyone!

User Detail :  

Name : Andy B., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 27, City : St. Albans, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Social class : Middle class, 

Georgia
    It's my understanding that the majority of wheelchair-bound people would prefer you ask if they'd like help. I always ask, 'May I help you?' and they can decline. Sometimes they can see your helping as condesending and your not helping as rude, so as I said, it's best to ask.

User Detail :  

Name : Georgia, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : Human, Religion : Pagan, Age : 50, City : Springtown, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : nurse, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Lori
    Participant
    During many years of working at the Arthritis Foundation, what we were taught seems to work -- ask before you do anything. 'Can I get that door for you?' 'Do you need help reaching that top shelf?' Sometimes the person will agree to your request, sometimes they will say 'No, thanks, I've got it under control,' sometimes they will say 'No, but what you CAN do is ____.' I doubt anyone would be offended by your offer, but if you don't ask first, what you actually do may not wind up being helpful.

User Detail :  

Name : Lori, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 40+, City : Tucson, State : AZ Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Thomas
    Participant
    Thanks Lori. I am in a wheelchair and I REALLY appreciate people offering to open or hold a door for me. As for anything else, asking is the perfect way to handle it. Thanks for the help. Sincerely, Thomas

User Detail :  

Name : Thomas, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 48, City : Lakewood, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Construction Project Manager, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

jerry30743
    Participant
    First of all, I agree with the posts already listed.....ASK. Always ask. Why ? The answer is this: By not asking the person you rob that person of their Human Dignity. They for the moment have lost CONTROL of a small portion of their life, and you have hijacked it away. You have robbed them of the dignity of CHOICE. Next: Don't use the term 'wheelchair BOUND' it is offensive. Why? It says that the person is a prisoner of their wheelchair. People that use wheelchairs don't see it that way. For them the wheelchair is not a form of 'CONFINEMENT' but a form of liberty and profound freedom. They view their wheelchair as you view your car. It takes you where you want to go. You are no more 'CONFINED' to your car then the Person useing their wheelchair. Out of bed, out of the house and go..... That isn't 'CONFINMENT' it's 'LIBERTY'!!

User Detail :  

Name : jerry30743, City : cedar rapids, State : IA Country : United States, 

Christy
    Participant
    I think it's important to remember the Golden Rule in this situation - 'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you' If you were in a wheelchair, would you want someone to open a door for you? I certainly would. I used to volunteer at a camp for handicapped children and teens, and one of the exercise they had us do was to sit in a wheelchair and try to navigate through normal situations such as opening doors. Let me tell you, it's not easy. It's always better to do the 'nice' thing, and if the person misconstrues it, then let that be on their head.

User Detail :  

Name : Christy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : american, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 22, City : jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : starving college student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Ian
    I'm legally blind. I've traveled independently most of my life with a cane, a guide dog and at times without either. I appreciate someone asking if they can help, and I often decline graciously. However, when someone half-opens a door, it creates a risk to my safety. I would prefer someone to tell me, 'Sir, the door is open to your right, or to your left.' Or, 'Look out for the trash can just inside the door, sir.' It would be frightening and threatening to be pulled out of the way of danger, despite someone's good intentions.

User Detail :  

Name : Ian, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Blind, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Secular Humanist, Age : 35, City : Buffalo, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Human Services, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Jerry-S30956
    Participant
    Would you hold a door for someone with a heavy package, or pushing a stroller? Although I can't speak as someone in a wheelchair, it seems to me you should just do what common courtesy suggests.

User Detail :  

Name : Jerry-S30956, Gender : M, City : New Britain, State : CT Country : United States, 

Luticha D.
    Participant
    Straight from the horse's mouth: ask first. It is annoying and rude when people try to do things for me. It seems as if they think that just because I am disabled, I am in need of help. I have seen people ask for able-bodied people, so why not give the disabled person the same courtesy? Of course, if you and the disabled person are going in at the same time, hold the door open so your toes don't get rolled over.

User Detail :  

Name : Luticha D., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : asexual, Disability : Paralyzed, Race : creole, Religion : existentialist, Age : 21, City : Fairport, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Frank T.
    Would you go out of your way to help anyone not in a wheelchair? If so, just do what you would do in that circumstance. But first, ask if you may be of assistance. And if you are in front of the person and going through the door, by all means, hold it. Wouldn't you do that for anyone else? Wheelchair users are people, too.

User Detail :  

Name : Frank T., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 51, City : Massapequa, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Vocational Counselor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

T.
    Participant
    I think you should be courteous to everyone. You could hold the door open for people on their way in or hold it on their way out. If it looks as though someone is having a bit of difficulty, then yes, ask them in a polite way if they'd like some help, regardless of ability or disability. Don't go out of your way if you think people who use wheelchairs are always in need. Do it because you would like to offer the help despite ability or disabilty.

User Detail :  

Name : T., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 26, City : El Cajon, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : reservation agent/student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Susan MD
    Participant
    Finally a discussion on wheelchair/Scooter manners!!! I am partially ambulatory and get so frustrated with the rudeness of others when I am in a chair. My chair/scooter is an extension of my body...treat it as such. Appropriate social kindness is appreciated. If you would do it for someone with an arm load of packages, assume it is ok to offer to me also. (open door, pick up a dropped item...) Please do not cut in front of me like I do not exist and separate me from my friends and family and small children. I am a person on a scooter trying to keep up with my kids not a semi on the freeway that you do not want to get stuck behind. It is ok to explain my disability to your children in postive non derogetory terms. I can't walk, but my mind is fine!!! Scooters do not come with brakes, only accelerators. I can not stop if you rudely cut in front of me...Do so at your own risk!!! Yes you may use the handicapped restroom stall without incurring a fine and you do not have to rush me to the head of the line when it opens though offering it would be nice. Though I have complete control of my bowels and would decline jumping to the front of the line, some in wheelchairs do not and would appreciate the offer.

User Detail :  

Name : Susan MD, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Lupus, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 37, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Physician, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.