What is a “Meagan”?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Crystal
    I was browsing a Usenet group the other day and saw a posting by an African-American man who referred to young, white women as "Meagans." I have never heard an African-American man use this term to refer to a white woman (at least not in front of me). Is "Meagan" a common expression or just this one guy's term? I also got the feeling it was derogatory. Is it?

User Detail :  

Name : Crystal, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 30's, City : Oakland, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Office manager, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kim H.
    Participant
    Forever and a day, we've referred to white women as "Miss Ann," or we might use the term "gray girl." The term "Megan" is probably this guy's own term - but it makes sense: As blacks are no longer required to address white females with the pronoun "Miss." Prior to the civil rights movement, you could lose your life not using a "Miss," whether the white female was 3 or 103. I'm sure the name Megan is not one of the top 10 names a black family would name their daughter. It's just a name that, when used, would make you assume the person was a white female.

User Detail :  

Name : Kim H., Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Humanist, Age : 43, City : Minneapolis, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Actress, Playwright and Director, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jeremy30944
    Participant
    From my perception, the term "Meagan" has nothing to do with blacks having to refer to a girl/lady as "Miss..." I feel it is a non-racial term refering to the hordes of 13- or 14-year-old girls who go around dressing the same, listening to the same bubble-gum pop music and getting their views of life from Seventeen magazine. The term "Meagan" comes from the fact that Meagan is a common name. I imagine that the term was the guy's own creation, but I have also heard the term "Jennifers" tossed around, as in "The concert really was ruined because of all the Jennifers dancing around."

User Detail :  

Name : Jeremy30944, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 17, City : N/A, State : WI Country : United States, Occupation : High school student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.