What do you think of teachers?

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Liz22553
    Participant
    I am being teacher-certified, and my parents were both in the teaching profession. I use the word 'profession' because it is a professional field. Perhaps teaching is looked upon as being a glorified babysitter to some. I've overheard some mothers saying things like, 'I cannot wait until the kids are back in school,' or 'Now that the kids are old enough, I can finally get my life back.' Especially since many schools at this time are not safe, due to handgun violence, etc., the teaching profession is more than likely to become a reluctant field for some to enter. Perhaps the people who are not interested in hearing about your work either do not place enough importance on education or are just being rude. Some of the complaints I've heard throughout my parents' careers included having a gun pulled on them, having severely abused childern in their classes, parents staggering in drunk to pick up childern from school, etc. The seriousness that this job requires is taken for granted and greatly unappreciated. I believe it takes a very strong person to enter into this field, and I congratulate you on what you're doing. As far as others' opinions go, blow it off and keep up the good work.

User Detail :  

Name : Liz22553, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 30, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : fashion designer/student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Orleanas
    Participant
    For the most part teaching has always been what I wanted to do, but I've not gotten the thumbs up from my teachers when I told them that that was what I wanted to do. One told me to go to technology because that was where the money is, and my mother told me that she always associated the job with lazy people once I finally decided to stick to it. That being said, there have been times when I ask myself if I should really consider this because I assume that people won't think of me as being successful, that I won't make a lot from it, that people won't be impressed etc... What usually cheers me up is thinking of the difference a teacher can make by watching that movie LEAN ON ME.

User Detail :  

Name : Orleanas, Gender : F, Age : 20, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, 

John
    Participant
    Teachers can be handily divided into three groups. First, the dedicated and talented professional. Bless 'em, they hold the system together. Second, those who are 'retired in place.' They generally love their union and hate change. Third, the confused and incompetent. At least they don't get in the way. We have too few of the first, and too many of the others.

User Detail :  

Name : John, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, City : Orlando, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Jaqueline-C
    Participant
    George, I'm very sorry you view teachers as state-funded babysitters. Apparently you either have had very bad experiences with teachers, are out of touch with education, or your animosity toward teachers comes from within yourself. Given your opening statement, 'Screw wanting to be a teacher,' I would guess that your animosity comes from within. The fact is that good elementary teachers are paramount to the future success of their students because skills learned in elementary school form the foundation for all future learning. Teaching is one of the most important professions in the world because we cannot advance without an educated population, and an educated population is not possible without teachers. Unfortunately, teachers in this country are underpaid and do not get the respect that they deserve.

User Detail :  

Name : Jaqueline-C, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 26, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Angela
    Participant
    I am an American teacher in Germany and I just read your letter. All I can say is AMEN!! So many teachers have a sincere commitment to educating and caring about our young people. But the others!!! I have never been so disgusted at the number of people here only for the experience of being overseas. I love to travel too, but my first love is teaching ALL CHILDREN! Some teachers here are racist, and insecure of younger teachers, they cut students down, and put them down rather than building them up! Some are old mentally and physically and their way of teaching is so outdated, it is ridiculous! Some teacher dont even like children...I ask myself 'Will I act like them when I am an older instructor?' I pray not! I respect the profession and I hope that the poor image changes, but we have a lot of problems that teachers themselves need to work on and change too... No one has the right to destroy a child...and every kid deserves a chance. I remember nuns who told me to take up short hand because I wasnt college material. I wish I could find them now so I could shove my graduate thesis and 4.0 transcripts down their racist throats! But, you know, instead of being angry, I chose to become a teacher to make sure no student of mine would ever suffer the same treatment... Oh, and Sister Amelia, if you're reading this, look for a copy of my doctorate thesis real soon...

User Detail :  

Name : Angela, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 30, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dave26027
    Participant
    My partner is a primary school teacher here in New Zealand. She works long hours and is very devoted to her job. Teachers in this country are paid reasonably well (about 30 percent above the average wage) and are generally well-respected. In a recent opinion poll, teaching was rated as one of the most trusted and respected professions, along with nurses, doctors and police officers. Unfortunately, my own career (government adviser) was a lot further down the list!

User Detail :  

Name : Dave26027, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 31, City : Upper Hutt, State : NA Country : New Zealand, Occupation : Government adviser, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jeff31187
    Participant
    It may help to understand where others may be coming from, at least in my view. Teachers get to work 7.5 hours/day officially, get a week off for Easter, two weeks off for Christmas, almost 3 months during the summer, and a couple of personal days during the school year. With the possible exception of the personal days, none of this needs to be earned. On the other hand, those of us in other professions work 8 hours/day officially and generally begins with 2 weeks of vacation, with possibly more to be earned depending on performance. We can't make our co-workers go sit in a corner or send them to the principal's office if they step out of line: we have to find a way to deal with them. Also, many other professions don't have powerful unions to fight for them. I know teachers sometimes stay later than the official hours; so do other professions. I know teachers sometimes bring work home; other professionals do as well. So when some teachers complain (I have a couple in my family) about how much tougher they have it than other professionals, many would say they're not experiencing anything that other professionals don't. Another thing I think teachers face, especially elementary teachers, is that the material that is being taught is (or should be) common knowledge. Some believe that if they know it, they can teach it. After all, look at all of those who are doing the home-schooling method. No one's trying 'home-doctoring' because what a doctor learns is not common knowledge and the skill is more obvious. I know this may sound demeaning or unfair, but I think this may be a common perception. For what it's worth, I do admire you and others in your profession, as I certainly wouldn't have the patience to do it.

User Detail :  

Name : Jeff31187, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 32, City : Franklin, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Systems Analyst, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.