Vote on the issues

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Dot
    Participant
    I have been shocked lately by the things people will tell reporters vis-a-vis the upcoming US Presidential election. I honestly had no idea there will still people living in this country who would openly slam someone based on race alone. My question is, how prevalent is this? I know the media seeks out extreme radicals in order to get ratings. I am white but I'm now terrified to travel to places like Western Pennsylvania, Ohio and parts of the Midwest where some of these bizarre interviews have been conducted. The truly shocking ones comes from parts of the country where there aren't even any racial minorities. How does someone form such strong opinions about a group they've never even been exposed to? Is our country doomed or are these just a few ignorant morons?

User Detail :  

Name : Dot, Gender : Female, Age : none, City : L.A., State : CA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

RickB
    Im going to have to say the reason these people do have such a strong opinion is because they have never been exposed to minorities to know that what ever they were taught is wrong. As far as traveling to Western Pennsylvania and Ohio, I wouldn't worry much about it. Im from NJ, but I just lived around Pittsburgh for a year and it was one of the most diverse places i've been. The people who are all caught up in worrying about race issues in the election are just as bad as the ones who were worried about sex issues when a female was running. I tell people not to vote if they are just voting because someone is black or because its a woman.

User Detail :  

Name : RickB, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 27, City : Trenton, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : Chef, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Mara
    Participant
    maybe the reason that these people are so ill-informed about minorities is BECAUSE they aren't exposed to them. It's natural to be wary of something or someone outside of your experience. They look different, they talk different, they act different...therefore they threaten our values and our society. Protecting the family and the tribe is part of our survival instict. Sometimes that suspicion translates as fear or contempt. The more diverse the nation becomes, the less these views will resonate.

User Detail :  

Name : Mara, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 40, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : data entry, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.