Vermont: A more evolved state?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

H.
    This question is particularly for Vermonters or other New Englanders: Based on its recent and colonial history, Vermont seems to have a much greater respect for common decency, civil liberties and basic equality than any other state. Vermont was the first state to abolish slavery (in 1777 before it was even admitted as the 14th state) and the first to grant legal equality to same-sex and different-sex marriages (civil unions law went into effect July 2000). Notwithstanding the recent surge in bigotry by anti-marriage groups, Vermont is years ahead of most of the rest of the country. Can anyone explain A) what is so special about Vermont, and B) how the rest of the country can learn these values? How can a largely rural state with virtually no racial minorities (no major racial or ethnic minority makes up even 1 percent of the state's population) be so advanced?

User Detail :  

Name : H., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : white Southerner, Religion : Methodist, Age : 25, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : statistician, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

ACC25126
    Participant
    You might want to consider some things that conflict with your idyllic image. Vermont also had a racist policy of sterilizing as many American Indian men and women as they could get their hands on, and completely AGAINST the will of the natives. This lasted for more than 50 years, until the early 1970s. More recently, some people in the state government are pushing for the use of forcible genetic testing to deny natives their legal status as citizens of tribal nations. I'd say that lack of a large no-white population is the key to understanding the mentality of much of that state's people. It's more of an attitude of 'We can be generous toward anyone who's not our kind. But we don't want TOO many of them here.' That's actually slightly better than many places in this country, but still hardly something we should be encouraging.

User Detail :  

Name : ACC25126, Gender : M, Race : Mexican and American Indian, City : W. Lafayette, State : IN Country : United States, Occupation : Grad student, history, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Naomi W.
    Participant
    Vermont has a history of populism in the true sense, not the right wing kind. I don't know why this is true, but there are real differences between Vermont and Maine and New Hampshire. Around the turn of the last century, Emma Goldman went to the Barre Granite Quarry and addressed the granite workers; Norman Thomas also showed up in Vermont a number of times. I think that some of the progressiveness is due to independence and the live-and-let-live philosophy of northern New England. Lately, though, the progressive politics are at least partially due to an influx of out-of-staters, and this as much as anything is at the core of the reaction against civil marriage.

User Detail :  

Name : Naomi W., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 45, City : Standish, State : ME Country : United States, Occupation : Organizer, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Alex29059
    Participant
    While not from Vermont, I have studied this topic before. Carving out a living in 'frontier' states did not leave room for bigotry, and in addition, anyone who survived proved themself worthy of respect. I believe this theory is confirmed by the state of Wisconsin, another frontier state, that was the first to grant the vote to women, even when it was a territory. Numerous frontier states support similar stories, with the exception of Alska, but I believe that is due to the fact Alaska was not considered a place to settle, but as resource to be exploited.

User Detail :  

Name : Alex29059, Gender : M, City : Elkins Park, State : PA Country : United States, 

Khephra
    I'm just as curious as you, but I have heard it argued that it may be BECAUSE Vermont has virtually no ethnic diversity. Have you noticed that Scandinavia and the Netherlands seem to be more socially advanced than virtually any other nation on the planet? These countries have virtually no ethnic diversity in their populations. It has been my observation that the more ethnically diverse a country or community is, the more social problems it has. It is certainly not my intention to offend anyone, and I am not a bigot by any means, but it may be that these places are able to achieve a greater sense of community when striving for common goals. There is no 'us' and 'them.' Does anyone have a better explanation? There doesn't seem to be any bickering over what gets what, because everyone benefits when the population works together. I'm just as curious as you to see if anyone from New England has an explanation for why Vermont is the way it is.

User Detail :  

Name : Khephra, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Thelemite, Age : 41, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, 

Melissa
    Participant
    Vermont is a very natural state. They have strict laws on buying and building on land. They are in touch with mother earth. Much like New Hampshire's motto, 'Live free or die', marijuana is more acceptable there. The laws are not as strict as other states and if a cop finds a joint on you, he/she will let you go. You are allowed to have a certain amount of weed on you. I am not positive of the exact amount, but if anyone knows, let me know. More people smoke pot in Vermont so they are very laid-back and open-minded. My conclusion is if more people smoked pot, the world would be a better place. Everybody is equal in the view of a stoner. Ask BOB DYLAN. How many people do you know that became violent after smoking a joint? I'm sure Jerry Garcia would agree with me.

User Detail :  

Name : Melissa, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 21, City : clinton, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : college student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.