Use of fire arms.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Victor C.
    To people who use firearms: Why do you use them? What conditions led you to use them?

User Detail :  

Name : Victor C., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 17, City : Utica, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Highschool Student, Social class : Middle class, 

Mike
    Participant
    I began using firearms to target shoot and hunt because that's what my dad did and his dad before him. I grew up in Mississippi where the firearms culture is prevalent. Now, before you get the idea that we were a bunch of inbred, toothless hillbillies, I would like to point out that my dad was a dentist educated at Northwestern University in Chicago. The right to own a gun is something that non-hunters and non-shooters have a hard time understanding except for those who recognize the value of firearms for personal protection. While I don't shoot as much as I used to, I still have about 6 firearms that I plan teach my son how to use and eventually bequeath to him. Unfortunately, by the time my son is grown, the right to have a firearm will likely be a thing of the past. Freedom and immorality don't mix. As America continues to dumb down both morally and intellectually, our freedoms will continue to decline.

User Detail :  

Name : Mike, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 45, City : Overland Park, State : KS Country : United States, Occupation : Geologist, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dan27300
    Participant
    I'm not particularly fond of firearms, but I am familiar with them and the issues around them. Some people like to shoot for sport (skeet shooting, target shooting, game hunting, etc.) and like to keep their expensive, highly-maintained rifles and shotguns in a display cabinet. Others feel it is almost a duty to own a gun, believing it makes them a red-blooded American. Others are fearful of their environments, sometimes rightly so. Others collect them by the dozens, feeding a near-Freudian urge to build up their egos / insecurities. Some collect vintage/antique firearms, much like one collects old dolls. Others are just plain used to it. They grew up in the country and were taught how to shoot and care for guns by their fathers. It is nothing out of the ordinary for them. And then there are some for whom firearms are a necessity. Many rural poor people (Montana, Arkansas, etc.) have to hunt to supplement their incomes and food supplies. It is always wise to keep the freezer stocked with fresh game; it can be eaten or traded for items like butter and milk.

User Detail :  

Name : Dan27300, Gender : M, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Pentecostal Christian, Age : 21, City : L.A. area, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Patrick Wood
    Participant
    Firearms often carry a negative conotation, especially with the recent shootings. However, I use firearms, not as something militant, but as a test of skill. My general dexterity and aptitude for mechanical objects have increased as a result of my use of firearms. There were no real conditions that led me to use them, other than a simple desire to go to a firing range and practice my aim.

User Detail :  

Name : Patrick Wood, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 19, City : Niagara Falls, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Research Assistant, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Mike20408
    Participant
    I grew up using guns as a hunter. The older I got the more I enjoyed simply target shooting. Although I don't really hunt anymore, I shoot competitively and enjoy it a lot. I also believe in the 2nd Amendment giving us the right (and obligation) to bear arms. While I highly respect our nations police officers there are simply not enough of them to go around, and the vast majority of police work is done after the crime has been committed. So, I have guns for self-defense, and both my wife and I have trained in their proper use. I advise anyone who has or wants to get a gun to get training. You will be better prepared to use it if needed, and much safer with it in any event. I find that most folks who 'fear' firearms don't know much about them. An age-old adage says that we fear the unknown, and this certainly seems to be the case. Take a class, get familiar with weapons, and then consider your stance on them.

User Detail :  

Name : Mike20408, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : PTSD, Migraines, GAD, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Mormon, Age : 36, City : Las Vegas, State : NV Country : United States, Occupation : Military, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Michael
    Participant
    There are many uses of firearms, depending on what kind of firearm(s) you have, and how you intend to use them. I started at the age of nine, when my father taught me how to shoot. When I was younger, he would supervise me when I would target shoot, or when we would go hunting together. We mainly shot rifles and shotguns. When I went into the Army, I shot the M-16, (a fully automatic rifle), an M-60 (a machine gun), and the 1911. (a .45 pistol) I enjoy target shooting a great deal. It is a lot of fun for me. I also have guns for self-defense, and I have a licence to carry a concealed handgun. Because criminals have used guns for evil purposes, however, guns have acquired, for some people, and undeservedly bad reputation. To me, they are no better or worse than any other consumer product. Anything can be misused for an evil purpose.

User Detail :  

Name : Michael, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 34, City : Stone Mountain, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : video editor, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Michael
    Participant
    There are many uses of firearms, depending on what kind of firearm(s) you have, and how you intend to use them. I started at the age of nine, when my father taught me how to shoot. When I was younger, he would supervise me when I would target shoot, or when we would go hunting together. We mainly shot rifles and shotguns. When I went into the Army, I shot the M-16, (a fully automatic rifle), an M-60 (a machine gun), and the 1911. (a .45 pistol) I enjoy target shooting a great deal. It is a lot of fun for me. I also have guns for self-defense, and I have a license to carry a concealed handgun. Because criminals have used guns for evil purposes, however, guns have acquired, for some people, and undeservedly bad reputation. To me, they are no better or worse than any other consumer product. Anything can be misused for an evil purpose.

User Detail :  

Name : Michael, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 34, City : Stone Mountain, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : video editor, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

rodekill
    We live in a country where guns are a vital part of our existance, however I moved from a state (Texas) where you can still use deadly force to protect your property, to a state (New Jersey),where I'm not sure you can use deadly force to protect yourself. When will the law making bafoons realize that gun control laws only effect law abidding citizens. As far as I'm concerened, anyone who is for across the board gun control is a communist. EDUCATION is the answer not more laws.

User Detail :  

Name : rodekill, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 47, City : south, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : Truck driver, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.