U.S. involvement in conflicts

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Dil N.
    Participant
    Why must Americans take important roles in conflicts throughout the world?

User Detail :  

Name : Dil N., Gender : M, City : Bombay, State : NA Country : India, 

Rick29794
    Participant
    American values of individual human rights and free enterprise benefit from global stability, so the United States generally tries to use its considerable influence to promote such stability around the world. Also, it is part of being a good ally.

User Detail :  

Name : Rick29794, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, City : Springfield, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Patrick
    Participant
    In a world economy, what happens in other nations directly affects us. If we don't look out for our interests, nobody else will. I for one want to make sure that my children can live freely.

User Detail :  

Name : Patrick, Gender : M, Race : Irish, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 18, City : Los Altos, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Ben S.
    Participant
    I don't think it is imperative that the United States takes an important role.For some time in the early 20th century, it was rather isolationist. However, U.S. commercial interests now dictate that there is some intervention - in the Middle East the main factor has always been oil. The strength of the oil and car lobby in the United States and the active destruction of alternate choices of transport now mean you have few other options. (In the 20s the United States had a fantastic interurban electric rail system, the envy of the world. It was slowly bought up by oil companies, etc. and ripped up.)

Protection of 'freedom' is sometimes a reason, but mostly only when it tallies with commercial interests - note the example of Kuwait, in which calls for Western support for Kuwait's democracy movement after the 1991 conflict were ignored as soon as the oil was flowing again. It's not a uniquely American thing. In my country, Australia, the government spent years supporting the odious Soeharto regime in Indonesia for precisely the same reason: access to Timor Gap oil and gas.

User Detail :  

Name : Ben S., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : New Age/Metaphysical, Age : 35, City : Melbourne, State : NA Country : Australia, Occupation : corrections officer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Jerome30946
    Participant
    Hey Rick, whow many times are you going to quote that article from the Sunday Times of London?

User Detail :  

Name : Jerome30946, City : Montreal, State : NA Country : Canada, 

Uriah
    I think America is run by bankers and oil barons, if anyone cares to notices it is never in regions of abject poverty with no redeemable natural resouces that our great 'American' crusaders jump to defend. It is always the adolescent middle eastern countries or the old cold war era soviet buffer zone countries. IF we as Americans are so damned concerned about human rights then why aren't we bombing China instead of Afghanistan? The hypocrisy of our country's leadership is amazing and at times (like now) makes me ashamed of my nationality.

User Detail :  

Name : Uriah, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Deaf, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Religion is for sheep, Age : 31, City : Tucson, State : AZ Country : United States, Occupation : Bank Officer, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Lisa
    Yes, U.S. intervention has been helpful in some cases, let's not forget our role in overthrowing democratically elected governments in Central and South America because they disagreed with our interests, the numerous dictators (including Saddam Hussein) we have supported because they were willing to go along with us and, of course, the 'equivalent to the founding fathers' (the mujahadeen that became Al-Qaedah) that we trained and armed in our desire to make life difficult for the Soviets. America is an Imperialist power and does not follow any real ethical guidelines on its involvement other than maintaining its power.

User Detail :  

Name : Lisa, City : Milwaukee, State : WI Country : United States, 

Marisha
    Participant
    I don't understand why the American government feels it has to be such a 'police power' because it only seems to cause more problems for everyone. The people of each region know what is best for them, at least more than what the American government does. However, no matter what the American people try to say or do, we are usually just ignored. People here complain about the things that our government is doing, but often times, our government quells the voices of opposition in this country. Laws passed like the patriot act and fast track legislation are making the people of this country lose their freedoms. I wish that there were a way to bring the people of the world together to unite against the oppression of many governments. Many Americans are blind to what the government is doing. The media hides the facts from us with stories that are biased or irrelevant. Many journalists have been reprimanded for reporting about the things that are important that offend the government here. In fact, vice president Chenney tells us that we are un-American if we ask questions. I have something to tell everyone in the world. If you stop questioning whats going on arround you, YOU DONT HAVE FREEDOM! I am ashamed to call myself an American because of the actions this government has taken. I am proud of many of the American people, however, because I know that so many of us can't stand whats going on. I have protested in Washington DC and Kent State against the actions of this government. I am against this horrible war. It is only killing more and more innocent people. The United States government are all terrorists by their own definitions! and I am fed up with it! Please understand that we are not United in this country behind the government; they are only trying to convince the people of the world it is so, but it is a lie. I do not support the killing of innocents anywhere. I do not support invading other countries and dictating how they are to live. I do not support the corporations that ruin the economies of countries everywhere, including the United States. Minimum wage?!? People are not inferior machines to be spoon fed life by our leaders. We all are valuable; we all have hopes, dreams, fears, and we all bleed. If we can all understand that and the fact that our governments are trying to keep us pacified and sedated, we can all wake up and realize how important life is.

User Detail :  

Name : Marisha, City : Zanesville, State : OH Country : United States, 

Doug
    Participant
    I beleive there are a few reasons we are into everything around the world. Like some of the others said: oil, humanitary efforts, etc. Ever since America became a world power back during WWI, our allies ask us for help. Then, since we are the richest country in the world, other less fortunate countries want our help. So, we feel that we should be use our power and money for good and to try to make the world a better and safer place. Of course the UN is there too, but when it comes down to it, the U.S. is the one doing the blunt of the work. The thing that gets me is that when something happens, its our soldiers dying and billions of our tax dollars going to countries that hate us for not helping, then hate us again when we do. It could be jelousy or maybe they think that we meddle TOO much. Which, sometimes we do. But, how many times have we tried to mend the Isreal/Palestinian conflict, just to name one? We try something, and no one likes it so we back off. Then we get scrutanized for not doing enough and we go back to the drawing board. It just seems that many countries want us to police the world, then get upset when we do. If it wasnt for us, countries like France would be speaking German, Russia would be starving, the Middle East would be even worse than it is now (if you can imagine that!), and there would still be endless ethnic cleansing going on, like it was in Bosnia. America is far from perfect, but at least we do try to make the world a better place, even if many people/countries hate us for it.

User Detail :  

Name : Doug, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 30, City : Westland, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Telecommunications, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Danman27251
    Participant
    The United States was an isolationist state prior to World War 2. However, after the attack on Pearl Harbor and America's entry into the war, the general feeling in retrospect was that the US sat on the sidelines too long and should have intervened earlier, which may have led to a conflict that was not as widepread and large as it ultimately became. Anyway, after World War 2, the general rule of thumb for US leadership was that we cannot ignore a problem and hope it will go away. September 11th also helped to strengthen this position, because many felt that we underestimated the terrorist threat and did too little too late. Generally, we feel that if we intervene we might be able to prevent a problem from escalating and getting out of hand. But of course, when there is a direct national or economic interest involved, this has alot of weight on decisions also.

User Detail :  

Name : Danman27251, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 33, City : Southside, State : VA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

j21154
    Participant
    Because we're bossy and pushy and grabby. Shame on us and I'm sorry.

User Detail :  

Name : j21154, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 34, City : chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Healthcare, Social class : Middle class, 
    In my humble opinion, I think America should stay out of other countries affairs unless called upon for help... we'd stay out of trouble that way.

User Detail :  

Name : Felicia-Salais21782, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic and White, Religion : I just believe in God :), Age : 23, City : Phoenix, State : AZ Country : United States, Occupation : Homemaker/Mother, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

I Palacios
    Americans like to think that our government becomes involved in international conflicts to aid our allies and help promote human rights. I personally believe that this is a bunch of crap. America becomes involved in conflict throughout the world to decrease the effects caused by such conflicts on the interests of its businesses and consequently its wealthy citizens. The majority of Americans live in a false reality created by its corporate owned news and media outlets. I hope that things change and we realize that the actions of our government affect people in a negative way and increase anti-American sentiments. With the re-election of George Bush this is unlikely and proves to me that Americans don't want to know the truth about what our government and businesses do outside of the U.S. Out of sight and out of mind. My only hope is that a social revolution of sorts occurs and Americans wake up.

User Detail :  

Name : I Palacios, Gender : M, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 26, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

TimB
    Participant
    I'm all for America withdrawing, shutting the borders, and letting the rest of the world have at it when it comes to fighting and civil war. Open trade, sure - open borders? No way. Good fences make good neighbors.

User Detail :  

Name : TimB, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 39, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.