Turn that $%*& music down!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Alma31453
    Participant
    Why do so many young adults become confrontational when asked to turn down extremely loud music? I'm talking car stereos so loud you can't carry on a phone conversation in the next building. Where do they get the idea they have a 'right' to implode my eardrums?
    Original Code A37. Click here to see responses from the original archives.

User Detail :  

Name : Alma31453, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, City : Kempner, State : TX Country : United States, 

James J.
    Teens and young adults of today have not acquired the manners and sensitivity that older people learned as they were growing up. Parents are increasingly allowing boorish behavior and not calling their kids on it, and most facets of entertainment media seem to celebrate behavior that before now was viewed as intolerable.

User Detail :  

Name : James J., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 50, City : Laguna Beach, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Attorney, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Denise M.
    Participant
    I think people respond in a confrontaional manner when they are addressed in a confrontational manner. It seems to me that when adults ask a young person to turn their music down, they do so with a very hostile attitude, like 'You horrible, worthless teenager, how dare you inflict that awful noise on me?' A better approach would be to respect the young person's right to listen to the music they choose, rather than insulting their music. Of course, it works the other way, too: Someone who is playing music has to be respectful of the people around them. When asking someone to turn their music down, the best approach is to explain in a respectful, non-confrontational way that you can't hear the phone, and ask them to turn it down. Getting angry puts people on the defensive. Most people will be respectful in return when they are treated with respect. There are always those few people out there who don't have respect, but they are not at all the majority, from my experience. Also, take into account that young people will be immature sometimes. Immaturity, (or maturity for that matter) is not an excuse to be disrespectful toward others, but it is sometimes the reason people are disrespectful.

User Detail :  

Name : Denise M., Gender : F, Age : 21, City : Milwaukee, State : WI Country : United States, 
    Teenagers perceive their music as a part of their expression. Having loud music is a 'Hey! Look at me!' statement which is often used for attention. The best way to address this is to make a nice comment to them about themselves or their music and then politely ask them to turn it down. Teenagers face a lot of discrimination regardless of whether or not they have created these views about themselves. It is important that our society realizes that the teenager that's playing his music too loud while you're trying to read a book is the future of our society.

User Detail :  

Name : Welch, Caitlin, Gender : F, Age : 14, City : Lawrence, State : KS Country : United States, Occupation : student, 

Jame
    Participant
    When I was a kid, growing up in a small farm town, kids expressed rebellion by hot rodding their cars and cruising with them at night. Of course they'd carry on like kids have always done, driving like fools, drinking, smoking, etc. Back then the technology just didn't exist to play car stereos REALLY loud, and gas was cheap. So kids spent their money on their engines. Now gas is pricey, but powerful car stereos are (comparatively) cheap. So, you do the math. By blasting their stereos, they're not doing anything different then the kids of my era did by lighting up their tires at every green light, and otherwise revving their engines to tick off the citenzry. Now as far as the response you got, treating an idiot blasting his music w/ respect is an exercise in futility. If the person had any sense, he wouldn't be playing his music at 10/10ths. (case in point, I knew a kid who rode around with cotton in his ears, so he could play his stereo loud enough). On the other hand confronting him is looking for trouble. Just ingnore them and get satisfaction out of knowing that 10 years from know they'll be spending that extra cash on hearing aids, not amplifiers.

User Detail :  

Name : Jame, Age : 35, City : Baltimore, State : MD Country : United States, 

Leanne
    Participant
    I play my music loud because I like to feel the beat through my body. Music doesn't sound as good played low. Turn up your favorite song once and see how much better it sounds and feels. Music was the one of the first forms used for expression. Our ancestors used music for everything from personal expression to communication across the land with drums. Music was made to be played loud and that is how I will continue to play it. It has nothing to do with bad parenting etc... it is my freedom to listen to my music in the way that I enjoy. If you continue to have a problem, I suggest buying ear plugs, investing in a sound proof room or moving away from us loud people.

User Detail :  

Name : Leanne, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 20, City : Toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : secretary/student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Diana
    Participant
    I think Mike's and Stacee's responses are a little off the mark. Granted, there are people who want their music to intrude on others' comfort, or are simply inconsiderate in general, but I and many others are neither. I am considerate of others to the point where my own comfort is compromised, all day every day, when I am out in public. I endure loud youths in cinemas and malls, I ignore men swearing like sailors and speaking crudely in my presence, I politely absorb the ignorant remarks made by strangers who don't like young people, men who feel the need to whistle and holler (or men who think I'm stupid because I'm blonde!). But when I want to listen to music, I like to turn up the volume. It's my one big indulgence, my stress relief, my 'leave me alone' to the rest of the world. This is because a) Music is my biggest love in life, and it brings me great joy and enthusiasm to crank it up; b) The music I listen to is very bass- and vocal-oriented, so turning it up enhances these frequencies, helping me to really immerse myself in the sound. I'm not getting drunk and getting violent (or driving), I'm not doing drugs or beating people up for recreation. Music takes care of my frustrations.

I have no desire to bother other people with my music. It's not a malicious thing. Believe me, if I could afford to soundproof my room, I most certainly would. But generally, loud music is uplifting to we young'uns. It isn't always about poor upbringing. Nor is everything we do intended to bug others.

User Detail :  

Name : Diana, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : Gold Coast, State : NA Country : Australia, Education level : High School Diploma, 

Robbcopp
    I think that this is inherent in almost everyone's impression these days that the world exists for and revolves around them and no one else but them. In today's society this problem extends to more than just music. You can see it in the way people drive (incredibly badly and rude), cut in front of you in lines, blab on their cell phones at the top of their lungs in a public place and so on. These are the same people that would be the first to complain if you violated their 'space' and become confrontational if you do so for ANY reason. Don't we know who they are?!? If we wanted to hear their music, don't they think WE would be playing it on OUR OWN radio?

User Detail :  

Name : Robbcopp, Gender : M, Age : 36, City : Denver, State : CO Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

ShirleyAvery
    Participant
    I guess it's OK for me to blow cheap cigar smoke right into your face and if you have a problem with that, wear a face mask; if I want to bathe in cheap perfume and sit right next to you at work, wear nose plugs all day. What a selfish brat you are! It is your freedom to listen to music as loud as you want - with earphones! The laws of society are that your rights end when you abuse the rights of others. Your loud music is noise pollution illegal in some states/ If you were driving with a migraine headache and I was in the car next to you blasting Beethoven's 9th symphony, would you smile tolerantly. When you go deaf prematurely, better be careful crossing the street because of drivers like you may be too busy feeling the beat to pay attention to others. Just Curious

User Detail :  

Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.