To the unexpected combos:

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Mr. Dickerson
    Participant
    In general, and from the people who write in Y? Forum, certain races seem to match with certain religions. A lot of black people are Baptist, while a lot of Hispanic people are Catholic. This might be understandable historically and culturally, but I want to know if those of you who violate the cultural-religious stereotypes, for example the Italian Hindu, Saudi/black Jew, etc., are the objects of prejudice from others. Are you even out there?

User Detail :  

Name : Mr. Dickerson, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 27, City : Tucson, State : AZ Country : United States, Occupation : Student/Actor, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Kim
    I'm black and the only Catholic in my family. My paternal family are Catholics and the maternal is Methodist. My parents divorced when I was young, and I've had little contact with my father. The church that I attend has a sizable amount of black parishioners, so black Catholics are not that uncommon. I have a maternal aunt who feels the need to make comments to make it seem like I'm doing something wrong (being Catholic), and once I was complaining to a co-worker that my son's religious education classes seemed to have too much of a Hispanic overtone for me and she replied 'Well, Kim, it is THEIR religion...' ? Other than that I have no problems.

User Detail :  

Name : Kim, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Catholic, Age : 30, City : Oceanside, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Govt., Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Jerry-S30959
    Participant
    I don't have direct experience in this, being fairly typical, but I know that in Israel there is significant tension between European Jews and those from Arab countries. Also, there is apparently quite a bit of discrimination against the Ethiopian Jews there. I'm not sure if that addresses your specific question. The Jewish population in my area is almost exclusively Northern European in origin. The occasional Jew of Spanish or other origin isn't looked at as that unusual, but because most black Jews would be converts, they would probably be noticed.

User Detail :  

Name : Jerry-S30959, Gender : M, City : New Britain, State : CT Country : United States, 

Jummy
    Participant
    I am a black Lutheran, and no matter where I have gone, my family and I have always been in the minority. Either we are in a church that's predominantly white or predominantly Guyanese. Yes, people can be prejudiced, but that happens anywhere. People will always feel more comfortable and behave nicely to those who looke like them - even in the Lord's house. There have been plenty times when I have felt - and have been - left out because of being a black Lutheran.

User Detail :  

Name : Jummy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 21, City : Jamaica, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

J. Allen
    I'm a black Baptist raised in a Baptist church. But my aunt is a Buddhist, my sister is Jewish and her children are Jehovah's Witnesses. It hasn't created any friction in the family whatsoever, but it makes the holidays confusing as hell. Certain family members are fasting, while others are feasting - literally! Other than that, no problems.

User Detail :  

Name : J. Allen, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 29, City : Charlotte, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : Office Assistant, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Beth
    I guess I qualify to answer you. I am half Mexican, half Eastern European Ashkenazic, married to a half Irish, half Eastern European Ashkenazic with a very ethnic Irish last name. My mother was raised Catholic but converted to Judaism before I was born. I am also female, I used to be profoundly obese but I got Crohn's disease and lost more than 150 pounds, I smoke and I am an only child. Whew! Where do you want to begin? I have been the object of discrimination my entire life. Jews think I'm not Jewish enough because I didn't have a bat mitzvah and my mother was a convert. And with the Irish last name now? Oy. Mexicans think I'm a gringo because Spanish is not my first language, and I was raised in the suburbs rather than a Hispanic neighborhood. I've been accused of 'playing' at both cultures and being an outsider in both cultures. I have watched the scornful eyes of my own family members in the Catholic Church as I do not kneel or take communion. I am also only 5'2", which is fine among the Jewish side of the family, but then Mis Tias (my aunts) are big women with size 12 feet. And don't get me started about both sides of the family with the weight issue. I was shunned by everyone. I must say that the prejudices are worst within my own family - very few people actually delve into my ethnicity. Here in Buffalo, it is generally assumed that I am a Catholic Italian (dark hair, dark eyes - must be Italian) married to an Irish Catholic. Ah, me.

User Detail :  

Name : Beth, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Mexican/Eastern European Ashkenazic, Religion : Jewish, Age : 32, City : Buffalo, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Advertising production manager, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Hayat21435
    Participant
    I don't quite fit your criteria, of being a strange religion/culture combo but I come from a strange mix nonetheless. My mom's family is Mormon, Irish-Scottish-German white, lower-middle class, blue-collar family from rural Indiana. My dad's family is Muslim, upper class, with a line traced to royalty from Indian immigrants to Pakistan. As a kid, my siblings and I were as weird as it comes. We attended church, with my sisters in head scarves and long dresses, and mosque, with more knowledge in our heads of the old and new testaments and the Book of Mormon than of the Quran. We hosted missionaries at home and brought veiled friends back to the family reunions. My grandmother actually came to my elder brother's wedding in Pakistan, being the first time she has left the US, and the first person in her entire family to go to Asia. On my mom's side we're the only 'colored' people and non-Christians (we children chose Islam as adults) in the whole huge clan. On my dad's side we're just weirdos. I've yet to meet another family like us. You can imagine that when people ask my nationality it takes a long time to figure it out. I'm better off just saying I'm Chinese and leave people guessing.

User Detail :  

Name : Hayat21435, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Muslim, Age : 19, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.