Tip Tips

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

H-Lima
    Participant
    Can waiters and waitresses give us diners some clues as to proper tipping? In the States, 15 percent of food and 10 percent of drinks (i.e. bar tab) is the norm, correct? Also, do you tip 15 percent pre-tax (why tip for tax)? What about at buffets? Finally, I've heard that leaving a penny means you did not forget to tip, but that you thought your service was terrible. I've also heard that leaving a penny with a tip is a compliment - which is it?
    Original Code O2. Click here to see responses from the original archives. Click "to respond" below to reply.

User Detail :  

Name : H-Lima, City : N/A, State : OH Country : United States, 

SR28477
    Participant
    Etiquette dictates that the tip should be 15 percent, minimum, on the entire tab (including tax)- even at the bar. When I was a cocktail waitress, few people tipped less than a dollar - which worked out to much more than 15 percent. The penny tip (as a compliment or insult) doesn't sound very effective - wouldn't it be better to speak with the manager or server and be upfront?

User Detail :  

Name : SR28477, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 21, City : Austin, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, 

John
    Participant
    Why do we need to tip?? Tipping should be based upon the service given - NOT THE TOTAL OF THE BILL!! Example: Dinner for 2 (Salad or Soup, Main course, 4 drinks, dessert) with waitperson's 6 trips to the table = $50 at casual place to $200+ at exclusive place. Effort for each scenerio is the same! 15% tip could be $7.50 up to $30+. WHY?? The same effort goes into the service! The price of the food SHOULD NOT DICTATE the TIP - ONLY the service given. If anything, the cook/chef should be tipped instead of the waitperson - They are the one who prepared the food after all. That's all the work right there. ***** As for buffet-style eating... Again, a NO BRAINER for the waitperson - TIP BASED ON SERVICE of drinks, not price of food - NOTHING ELSE. *****

User Detail :  

Name : John, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 29, City : Livonia, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : IS, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Floyd
    I've also heard that 15 percent is the norm, but I tip differently. I tip by the service I get. If I'm at a Coney Island or a resturant like that, I'll usualy leave anywhere between $1 or $3 dollars depending on the service (bills are usualy about $10 or $15). Now when I eat at nice resturants like Red Lobster or any other Higher Class resturant, the tips also vary. I have once tipped $20 on a $55 meal. But the service at this Red Lobster was unbelieveable. The watress was always there, every thing was perfect. So I felt that she deserved what I gave her. If I had followed the "norm" of 15 percent, I would have felt like I was ripping her off. So basically, I say it all depends on the service and the quality of the food. So tip what you feel, not what your told is expected.

User Detail :  

Name : Floyd, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Age : 24, City : Sterling Heights, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Sys Admin, Social class : Middle class, 

dlouise
    Participant
    I would like to mention that servers who provide buffet service often work harder than those providing plate service. I worked at a busy buffet restaurant for five years out of my 25-year career as a server, and it was hard work! For every diner, I removed at least six times more plates from the table than in a la carte service. I used to get so angry to overhear people say 'You don't have to tip at a buffet, because you get your own food.' I was very tempted to let them bury themselves in plates and go thirsty. A patron once asked me if he served himself. I replied that I served him; he just chose his meal without a menu.

User Detail :  

Name : dlouise, City : Toronto, Ontario, State : NA Country : Canada, 

N-de-la-Garza
    Participant
    As for the penny, if you leave only a penny, that is a definite insult. A penny extra, I have no idea. The percent of tip you leave is tricky, however. At a nicer restaurant, 20 percent is preferred, as your server works much harder to make your meal comfortable and enjoyable. At a restaurant that is between $8-10/meal, 15 percent is appropriate for good service.

User Detail :  

Name : N-de-la-Garza, City : Boulder, State : CO Country : United States, 

Stacey
    Participant
    You're pretty much on the money, so to speak, with your percentages for drinks and restaurant eating. With food tips it really varies between 15-20 percent. Most restaurants that include gratuity (usually when it's a party of 6 or more) put it around 18 percent. It is generally accepted that you tip less at a buffet. I would suggest a minimum of 10 percent based on my restaurant experience. Also, one thing to keep in mind whenever using gift certificates or other discounts is that you should tip based on what the bill WOULD be. That's a common mistake. You might have some sort of deal where you get 15 percent off but you should still tip your server as though you were paying the full bill. As for the penny... one clean, shiny penny is an indication that the service was impeccable. I think this is lost in many restaurants. If you're going to use it, do so sparingly. Maybe in higher-end restaurants. As a variation, I've tipped but also left one penny.

User Detail :  

Name : Stacey, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jehovahs Witness, Age : 28, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Sonja
    Participant
    I totally agree! I am a waitress at a buffet restaurant making $2.38/hour plus tips. Some people say they never knew we accepted tips. That's only because they choose not to tip. They know better. I definitely feel like I work 10 times more than a non-buffet restaurant worker because I have to take on more tables than the non-buffet restaurants. A 15 percent tip at a buffet is always acceptable.

User Detail :  

Name : Sonja, Gender : F, Age : 23, City : Leavittsburg, State : OH Country : United States, 

Joe Garofoli
    Participant
    Is there a standard work performance chart that a waiter/dress should do in order to deserve there standard 15-20% tip here in the USA.

User Detail :  

Name : Joe Garofoli, Gender : M, City : Portland, State : OR Country : United States, Occupation : Cellar Master, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.