These kids today…

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Christina
    Don't say something like that. You want something like World War II or the Depression to happen again? You do realize that if we had another world war, we would probably all be dead from nuclear bombs. I don't know about anybody else, but I hope to God we (people of my generation) never have to go through anything like that. My grandparents lived though the Depression and WWII, and from the stories they've told, and from history classes, I don't ever want to go through - that or anything that even remotely resembles that period of history.

User Detail :  

Name : Christina, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Wiccan, Age : 20, City : Chesapeake, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : college student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

N. Chambers
    Participant
    We shouldn't question why someone, especially parents, deserves respect; it should be given anyway. Parents shouldn't have to strive to meet the wavering/fluctuating qualifications of a child to get respect. I believe one of the mistakes contemporary parents make is trying to become 'friends' with their children, when that is not the reality of the realationship, no matter what magazine one has read.

As far as parents who act up in public, just as the child does, that's evidence they had issues before the kid even came along, and now it's worse. One can learn a bit from elders. No, they shouldn't act as if they are always right, because no one is. But their experiences and wisdom about life will one day aid you if you allow it instead of disgarding it. So to say one shouldn't respect someone because of age is like saying one shouldn't hold the door for someone who doesn't have legs because they have arms. What sense does that make? And how nice is that? The problem is in rearing. I know several people who work all hours of the day and night, and their kids are not disrespectful, so no more excuses. I will never have a kid and raise him or her to be one of those brats.

User Detail :  

Name : N. Chambers, Gender : F, City : Columbus, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Amma
    Participant
    In my experience I showed respect to the elders that I felt deserved it. For instance, my grandmother was a very sweet woman and always treated me well and showed me respect. My mother, on the other hand, did not treat me well and did not show me respect. She didn't respect my privacy or feelings. She treated me like a nuisance and a slave instead of a child who was her daughter. So, I saw no reason to give her respect. Now that I am an adult I can see that it doesn't solve anything to disrespect people. But, I also don't have to put up with how my mother treated me anymore. I do not think children should be taught to look up to and respect a person just because they are older. Age does not automaticaly mean maturity or wisdom. Just because you've been on this planet longer does not mean you are better or more intelligent or kinder than anyone else. There are older relatives of mine who always say that I am more intelligent than them, and they think it's wonderful. They like to learn from me. But, I know that my Great Grandmother has a lot of experience that I can learn from. So, what I've learned is...we should show respect for everyone unless they prove themselves horribly unworthy of respect (like if someone abuses you) and even then we should remove ourselves from the situation instead of disrespecting them. But, a child cannot always get away from people who do wrong to them. So, I think it is expected that children will disrespect some people. You just have to hope that they learn from it. I think there are a lot of adults out there who could learn to show a little more respect for children. If children do not experience respect, how can you expect them to be respectful?

User Detail :  

Name : Amma, Gender : F, City : Tampa, State : FL Country : United States, 

Mary21966
    Participant
    In America, we have lost the importance of tactile simulation to our newborns and infants. Today, the normal American baby sleeps in a crib feet (if not rooms) away from warm, pulsing, comforting touch. Tactile stimulantion at such a young age influences everything from physical health to bonds with the parent(s) to social interaction. There is this myth that babies must become 'independent.' If you want to know more about tactile stimulation and the consequences of simulation and lack thereof, I recommend 'Touching: The Significance of the Human Skin' by Ashley Montagu. Please don't underestimate the power of touch. It explains so much about American society.

User Detail :  

Name : Mary21966, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Orthodox Christian, Age : 19, City : Austin, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Rae
    Participant
    I think that most of the harsh stereotypes towards teens coming from adults are from people like yourself. I have never cursed at my parents. Most of my friends don't either. I don't think that it's the teens fault necessarily. I think that it's just the individual way that the certain teens parents have taught them to act. One of my friends curses but his parents also do and allow the kids to. Honestly parents have changed in their ways of parenting more then teens have changed and are 'going the wrong way'.

User Detail :  

Name : Rae, Gender : F, Age : 15, City : santa clarita, State : CA Country : United States, 
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.