The White West and hate groups

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Annie23898
    Participant
    I'm a white student living in an ethnically mixed neighborhood in Pittsburgh (it's mostly black, with some Asian, Indian and white families). Recently I went on vacation in the West - Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Utah - and was absolutely amazed that the entire population was white. The only non-whites I saw - aside from Native Americans, who are prominent in many areas - were one Asian and one black family, obviously tourists (I stayed for three weeks.) My question: I know most hate groups spring up around the area I was visiting - how do these groups find followers in an area where probably no one even encounters black people or even Jewish people on a regular basis? I know that ignorance is part of the problem - but I'd like to know what other factors might be involved. Is it just political conservatism gone haywire? Why do these people feel so threatened by people who they never even meet? Most confusing to me: Why aren't Native Americans among hate groups' most prominent targets?

User Detail :  

Name : Annie23898, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 25, City : Pittsburgh, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

John K.
    Participant
    I find it interesting that you offer political conservatism as a cause for the racism in the West. That seems to be the politically correct thing to do these days. In actuality, there is something very different happening in that area. I had a friend from Montana whom I discussed this with at some length a few years ago. He mentioned that most of the white people he knew saw Indians as a constant threat and hardly ever thought about black people. However, the opposite seems to happen here in the Northeast. Why? Out of sight, out of mind. Hate groups go into these areas where whites know little or nothing about non-whites and play on the "fear of the unknown." They push certain stereotypes until their new recruits believe what they hear. It is not unlike a religious cult, and there are undercurrents of that phenomenon. Ever notice how lots of hate groups twist the religious beliefs of people to their own ends? The KKK considers themselves to be Christians, just as the Nation of Islam considers itself to be Muslim.

User Detail :  

Name : John K., Gender : M, Age : 26, City : Cranford, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : Chemical Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

John-B29410
    Participant
    There are really two answers to your questions. First, white supremacist groups are actually a fraction of the population anywhere, so it's easy for them to move their followers into concentration spots like Hayden Lake - only a couple hundred people at most have to move. Since they are despised by everyone, including other whites, they tend to come out here where there's a lot of empty space and they can settle in some little town they can dominate. As a result, we get white prison-sweepings and nut cases from all over the country moving to little do-it-yourself-Reichs out here.

Second, we also get middle-class whites with fantasies of moving to the past - and since life is slower out here, manners are more old-fashioned, more people go to church, neighbors know each other, etc., there's something to it. But unfortunately, some people's fantasies of the past include a world where they didn't have to be aware of anyone other than white people. Usually those aren't the people who join the nut groups - but their kids, who are often bored (rural life is dull when you're 16) and looking for trouble, do.

The other thing is the pure ignorance factor. White people with friends of other races will sometimes stand up to and argue with bigots - not always, but often enough to put some social pressure on bigots to keep their prejudices to themselves. Out here, most whites have no non-white friends or co-workers - and so some of these clowns can run off at the mouth more because there aren't people who know better to say "You're full of crap."

User Detail :  

Name : John-B29410, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 42, City : Rural, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : College professor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

A.C.C.
    Participant
    Believe me, Indians are frequently targeted by racist whites. That area of the country is probably the most prejudiced against Indians of any I have seen, partly because there are practically no other targets around. I heard 'prairie nigger' said as commonly there as 'nigger' is said in the South or 'wetback' in the Southwest. Bigots tend to hate whover is nearby. Statistically, Indians are the only ethnic group that have violence done to them mostly by another group. Most crime is white-on-white, black-on-black, etc, except against Indians, where it is almost always a white criminal against an Indian victim. Organized hate groups have targeted us in the past, but we usually have successfully defended oursleves. Unorganized random hate is much harder to stop. One of your other points is interesting. I heard anti-semitic and anti-black comments frequently in areas where there are few Jewish or black people. I can only speculate that bigots are responding to ugly stereotopes they hear in the media.

User Detail :  

Name : A.C.C., Race : Mexican and American Indian, City : W Lafayette, State : IN Country : United States, Occupation : Grad student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Ian M.
    Some so-called "hate groups" are headquartered in rural areas not because they have significant local membership, but for economic reasons: Low taxes, cheap land, etc. Most of their members live in other areas. I know because I've been a member of one of these so-called "hate groups" for seven years. By the way, I consider the phrase "hate group" nothing but a propaganda term, just like "neo-Nazi." We prefer White Nationalist, because that's what we are. For example, the group I belong to, the National Alliance, is headquartered in rural West Virginia, although we have few members in that state. Contrary to your misconceptions, we have many urban members who have plenty of experience with minorities - a lot of it not so nice. Actually, I'm surprised at your comments, since Pittsburgh is completely surrounded by mostly rural counties which are 90% or more White. Maybe you ought to explore your own state a little more. BTW, the National Alliance is organizing in Pittsburgh too. And, yes, most of the members of the local unit are from the city. See ya.

User Detail :  

Name : Ian M., Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 45, City : Pittsburgh, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.