The “Chosen” 10 percent

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Straight
    Participant
    If homosexuality is not a choice, do gay people feel angry or bitter about being among the 'chosen' 10 percent? I think I would be angry about having to live a lesbian lifestyle if I had not been given a choice.

User Detail :  

Name : Straight, City : Catskill, State : NY Country : United States, 

Chuck A.
    I don't know of any black people who are angry over having been born black. I don't know any left-handers (including my partner Greg) who are angry over having been born left-handed in a culture geared toward right-handedness. And while I am aware that some gay people (especially those who are conservative Christians) are so bitter about their sexual orientation that they choose to mask it with heterosexual behavior, I have never been angry about being gay. I have viewed the world and other people through the same eyes and mind as I've had since birth. I was neither traumatized nor 'seduced.' Being gay is as natural to me and as fundamental to my being as liking food. God has also blessed me with a wonderful spouse, with whom I have a loving, nurturing and monogamous relationship. This 'lifestyle,' as you call it, is nothing to be angry about as far as I can see.

User Detail :  

Name : Chuck A., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 41, City : Spring Hill, State : WV Country : United States, Occupation : AIDS Educator/Part-time radio announcer, 

John29304
    Participant
    Sometimes I have thought to myself that being straight would give me more options, being in the majority, having a lot more people to date etc..But I am proud of being gay. I feel like I have a sense of community and strength to back me up. I think I would have been proud being straight too, but right now, I'm just happy being myself.

User Detail :  

Name : John29304, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Age : 19, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, 

Jean
    Participant
    It's not being gay that makes gay people angry, it's the hatred and discrimination. I don't even think about being a lesbian; it's just who I am. And it's actually a small part of who I am, like being short or right-handed. I don't walk around all day with this awareness and focus on being a lesbian anymore than you're consumed with being straight. However, when I hear someone use the word 'fag' or 'dyke' in open conversation, like it's an OK or acceptable thing to say, I feel angry. I think fat people and homosexuals are the last targets of discrimination, where it's OK to say horrible things in public. At least (most) people have come to understand that they have to whisper their racial or religious slurs. Being gay is not a big deal. Being hated is.

User Detail :  

Name : Jean, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 38, City : Orange County, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Computers, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Patricia19884
    Participant
    I don't feel angry. Even though it's not a choice, and it can be a disadvantage being in a small minority, it's definitely not all bad. There are some really great people who are lesbians or gay men, and I hope to find one to be my partner. If a person has a partner of the same sex, someone they really love, then I don't that person would want anything else.

User Detail :  

Name : Patricia19884, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 25, City : Sydney, State : NA Country : Australia, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Shawna
    Participant
    Let's throw the question back at you. Do you believe that you choose to be heterosexual? And if not, are you angry over your lack of choice? While I believe I was born loving women, I also realize that I did have a choice in whether to pursue my natural attraction to women, or remain in unhappy heterosexual relationships. Believe me, I was an angry person before I came out as a lesbian. Even my most unaccepting friend remarked on how much happier I became after becoming involved with my first girlfriend. Despite my difficulties with a society bred on homophobia, the quality of my life has done nothing but improve since coming out. I'm far from angry -- why do you think they call us 'gay'?

User Detail :  

Name : Shawna, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Age : 28, City : Sacramento, State : CA Country : United States, 

Jessica
    Participant
    I'm bisexual and have known it since I was very young; it wasn't a choice or something that was pressed on me. And I'm far from angry - I actually feel quite lucky in that my chances for a date on a Friday night are doubled!

User Detail :  

Name : Jessica, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 23, City : Huntsville, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jessica
    Participant
    Homosexuality in an of itself is generally accepted as not being a choice. The 'homosexual lifestyle' on the other hand, implies a a degree of free will. As a lesbian, I could choose not to love, show affection to or have sex with other women. To do so would arguably be denying myself a fundamental need for a loving connection. However there are homosexuals who choose to do just that for moral or other personal reasons. In the Christian community, they are known as being 'Side B.' Side B gay Christians believe that being gay is not wrong but acting on those feelings is, to remain in accordance with certain Biblical texts. Most 'Side A' Christians view this belief as 'internalized homophobia.'

User Detail :  

Name : Jessica, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Protestant, Age : 18, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.