That baggy clothing

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

T-Jones
    Participant
    Why do young people wear very baggy blue jeans that hang halfway down their butts? I bought a pari and found them uncomfortable and clumsy to walk in. I know they are not a cultural tradition, so why are they so popular?

User Detail :  

Name : T-Jones, City : Clinton Township, State : MI Country : United States, 

Glenn W.
    I have been pondering this same question ever since I finally saw a kid at the mall lose his pants to his ankles and his Tommy boxers along with them. And, without missing a beat, he jacked them back up and slid them down to their former position. As I looked at him with a sense of "This kid's gotta grow up," he looked at me and flashed me the finger. That pretty much said it all right there. This kid could not possibly care what he looked like - even though he (as well as all the other baggers) spend tons of money to buy the same exact clothes that all their friends are wearing. So, in essence, they do care about their looks ... which leads me to believe they just don't have a rotten clue how idiotic they actually look. I am kind of hoping that the next phase of culture-craze will bring us back to the '50s styling where cleanliness and sharp appearance made for a perfect society; yeah, right!

User Detail :  

Name : Glenn W., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 35, City : Germantown, State : MD Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Erik
    Participant
    It's just like all other fashion trends. They wear them to look cool. I have some, and I just enjoy how they look on me. Granted, it's not for everyone. Just as I am very uncomfortable in Wranglers or tight-fitting jeans, you were not comfortable in these. In the end, it's about looking the way you want and feeling good about it.

User Detail :  

Name : Erik, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 28, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Technical, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

T-Hodges27525
    Participant
    Remember way back when, listening to your mom bemoan your too-tight jeans or whatever you thought was "cool" at the time? Relax, time heals all fashion wounds.

User Detail :  

Name : T-Hodges27525, Gender : F, Age : 34, City : Standish, State : MI Country : United States, 

Tee
    Participant
    I wear baggy clothes, but they are not to the point where you can see what kind of boxers I have on. I simply find them a lot more comfortable than a pair of jeans that exactly fit my waist size. The same concept applies to business attire. If a shirt and slacks fit my neck and waist perfectly, I feel restricted and find it difficult to concentrate on the matter at hand, whatever it may be.

User Detail :  

Name : Tee, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 23, City : Virginia Beach, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Finance Manager, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Ben S.
    Participant
    I know that everyone has their own sense of style. When I was younger all I wore was sweat pants. When I finally started wearing jeans I was made fun of because they were 'too-tight'. That was a load of crap, but I didn't like the names so I switched to baggy and found it very comfortable. There is more pocket space and room to 'adjust' yourself. I know it sounds bad, but maybe if you wore them long enough you would feel the same way.

User Detail :  

Name : Ben S., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 16, City : Oak Park, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Camp counselour, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Jim30717
    Participant
    It's just one step short of saying to the general public - "Kiss ass." To me, it is not a fashion statement that time will heal, but a feeling by the wearer that they are immune to any liability for their actions.

User Detail :  

Name : Jim30717, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Columbia, State : SC Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, 

Lucy-H22643
    Participant
    I wear baggy clothes because they are comfortable and they look cool. By wearing baggy clothes I am not saying 'Kiss my ass' to the general public, or anyone else for that matter, and I do not feel that by wearing baggy clothes I am immune to liability for my actions. I wear my baggy jeans all weekend long, and if you saw me you would probably assume the same intentions and attitudes about me that you assume about other young people dressed like me. Actually I am an engineer, pulling down a pretty hefty salary. The point is that you have no idea who people really are, and it is not a good idea to make assumptions about people based on the way they are dressed.

User Detail :  

Name : Lucy-H22643, Gender : F, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 25, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

D
    I wear baggy clothes on a daily basis...such brands as JNCO, Paco, Gojc, Decibel! Baggy clothing is different for each person. My clothes are baggy but I don't sag. All my hips stay on my hip, it is just I am walking on the legs or you can't see my shoes!

User Detail :  

Name : D, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Wiccan, Age : 17, City : Oxford, State : AL Country : United States, Occupation : grill cook, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Nydia
    Participant
    Baggy pants comes from prison. In prison your not aloud to have belts, or shoelaces, so your pants sag. Those who just came from prison kept wearing their clothes like that and other people thought it was cool and the style caught on.

User Detail :  

Name : Nydia, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 16, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

J.
    As a child of the '80s I've witnessed the clothing of my peers becoming increasingly baggy. Most of young people's style comes from the hip-hop culture. Hip-hop culture borrows from a lot of different culture, including the prison culture. For instance, felony sneakers were worn by the rappers Run DMC, and all the kids wanted to be like them (growing up, my dad would not let me wear felony sneakers no matter how much I wanted to, thank God). Felony sneakers are a style where sneakers are worn laced up but not tied. The purpose of this style was so that an inmate could be easily apprehended should he try to run. The shoes fall off his feet. Baggy clothes also stop a felon from running. They fall right down to his ankles! Today I do wear some baggy outfits (not to the point where they fall down), but they are quite comfortable, and I'm not so body-conscious when I wear them. Maybe that's a reason why kids today wear them.

User Detail :  

Name : J., Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 24, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Editorial Assistant, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Steve27609
    Participant
    I've had to wear tight pants for certain occasions. I just don't feel right in them. Whenever I wear something tight, I start feeling nervous and scared of how I look. And also it's discomforting when you sit down and basically just move. With baggy pants, I get more moving space. I feel more comfortable in them. And it's also just a style. Why did hippies wear bellbottoms? Because they felt like it.

User Detail :  

Name : Steve27609, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 16, City : Redondo Beach, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, 

Meg
    Participant
    Mainly it's just a fad, but also an attitude. I wear very wide-leg pants because to me they are comfortable and look good. Also, I rave a lot, and bigger pants are easier to dance in. But the waist of my pants is actually at my waist. I don't consider it unkempt or dirty unless the pants are hanging to your knees {as many people wear it).

User Detail :  

Name : Meg, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Suffer from depression, anxiety disorder, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 15, City : Modesto, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : High school student, Social class : Middle class, 

Sarah
    Participant
    Well, lets see, when I was younger, I always wore these awesome pants that were fitted in the waist, but had legs that were typically as wider than my waist, which was, at the time, 34-36. I LOVED my pants...I was self concious about my figure and they covered it up quite well, the pockets were huge so I could store anything in them, and they were always cool, even during the summertime...

User Detail :  

Name : Sarah, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : na, Disability : na, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 21, City : Swannanoa, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : Crew at a pizza place, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.