Teens obsessed with dating

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Brandon28601
    Participant
    Why are younger teenagers so obsessed with 'who likes whom' and going out with people, and call sensible people who don't care about anything like that gay or geeky?

User Detail :  

Name : Brandon28601, Gender : Male, Age : 13, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, 

Ann L. Lowenstein
    Participant
    Kids your age are developing them, and along with them, are trying to work out their status in the pack, and trying to get a handle on urges and feelings none of you really had as recently as a year or two prior. Labeling outsiders is a defense mechanism, and while it's awfully mean, it's pretty common, even among older kids and adults. Just do your own thing and don't worry what they think about you so much. And don't be too surprised if eventually you, too, get interested in dating and socializing.

User Detail :  

Name : Ann L. Lowenstein, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Animist, Age : 37, City : K.C., State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Administrative Assistant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

StephanieS.
    Participant
    Teenagers in America (I don't know about other societies) are shoved into adulthood - they go from being treated like little kids straight to being "grownups" (or at least, all the responsibilities of grown ups, with none of the respect or privileges.) So dating is a way for teens to feel more grown up. Also, the teen years are the median age most people discover their sexuality, so that may have something to do with it. Or it could be that there isn't anything on TV and they're just bored.

User Detail :  

Name : StephanieS., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 16, City : Herndon, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
    Somewhere along the line, you're going to experience what all teenagers experience (barring medical problems): puberty. That's when hormones take over, especially in males. And then all the talk is going to be about who he or she likes, who is going out, who broke up, etc. It all has to do with the beliefs subtly taught by American society to all the kids born or growing up here. 1. That in order to be happy, you have to have a partner. 2. That you're not "complete" until you've found your "better half". 3. That if you wait too long to find that person, you may never find them and die a lonely old man or woman.

User Detail :  

Name : ShellyStrauss Rollison, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : New Age/Metaphysical, Age : 49, City : New Alexandria, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Minister, writer, activist, CNA, draftsman, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
    I was like you about 7 or 8 years ago. I had no interest in the usual person A is dating person B gossip, and to this day I've always found it a boring topic. However, I believe it's a way of feeling more "adult", which is something most kids crave at your age and even younger. It's not bad or wrong, it's just part of getting older. You're in for a lot worse in your later teen years, so enjoy this relatively innocuous "who likes whom" stuff while you still can.

User Detail :  

Name : CraigMcLennan, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 21, City : Duncan, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Student/sales associate, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

ClaireB
    The only reason teens do this is that once hormones kick in, all you want to do is make out with people. Then it comes down to reputation - even if the person is a total moron, if he's a great kisser, you've got to date him.

User Detail :  

Name : ClaireB, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Catholic, City : Fernandina Beach, State : FL Country : United States, 

ClaireB
    The reason teens are so obsessed with dating etc. is because hormones kick in. Then it comes down to reputation. Who can date the most people, etc. Although I am 15 and I still believe in only dating someone unless you truly like that person.

User Detail :  

Name : ClaireB, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Catholic, City : Fernandina Beach, State : FL Country : United States, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.