Suits ’em fine?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

P-Ryan
    Participant
    Why do black men look good in purple suits, but white men look like dorks?

User Detail :  

Name : P-Ryan, City : Harrow, State : NA Country : Canada, 

Mandi
    Participant
    Someone will probably try and post some response about coloring of the skin being complementary or not, so let me try and stop such nonsense before it starts. The best way to answer your question is to say that most men look good in suits. It may be that you have had more instance to notice a black man in a purple suit, a rare experience on the whole, because some black men will tend to wear colored suits to stand out in a crowd. Being originally from Louisiana, where purple is one of the official state colors, I've had a chance to see several men of both races in purple suits. The better-looking the man, the better-looking the suit.

User Detail :  

Name : Mandi, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 21, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

CC19146
    Participant
    It's perfectly normal to use one's coloring as being complementary to what one wears. Fair people may not look as good in one as darker people in the same outfit. It's normal, Amanda. Please take your ultra-political correctness somewhere else.

User Detail :  

Name : CC19146, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, City : Somewhere, State : NA Country : Canada, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

DD31833
    Participant
    It's normal for people to have different opinions, even if that means they disagree with you, C.C. Please take your self-righteous attitude somewhere else and stop acting like your opinions are absolute truth.

User Detail :  

Name : DD31833, Race : Asian, City : San Francisco, State : CA Country : United States, 

Sheryl Sukdolak
    Participant
    Actually it's not silly to say the color of skin affects what colors look good, or perhaps I should say better on someone depending on the skin tone. I think also the shade of purple matters. I think darker shades of purple look best on darker skin tones. This may just be personal taste, but I see a parallel between your question and the fact that certain shades of makeup look better on certain skin tones; otherwise the fairest white skin and the darkest skin tones would or could wear the same shade of makeup and look just as good. I certainly think the winter/fall/spring/summer hues that makeup comes in justifies this opinion as to different skin tones looking best in certain shades of color. Certain colors complement certain skin tones better. I think with all the different shades of skin people have, it's not really a black/white issue with regard to wearing purple (or any other color) but more an issue of your skin tone. Deeper, richer colors seem to bring out the best in darker skin, and of course the opposite is true for lighter skin. I'm sure we all wear clothes in many different colors, but aren't there certain colors that seem to add a glow to or complement your complexion more so than others?

User Detail :  

Name : Sheryl Sukdolak, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Catholic, Age : 39, City : Warner Robins, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : school social services, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Cassandra32409
    Participant
    I don't think it's nonesense to state that skin coloring does play a role in what colors look good. A white woman and a black woman are not always able to wear the same color of lipstick and look good in that shade. Therefore, it stands to reason that skin tone makes a difference. Darker skin can carry a brighter (for instance, orange) or deeper color (like purple) better without being overwhelmed by it. Perhaps that's why the colorful Kente cloth patterns were invented by Africans.

User Detail :  

Name : Cassandra32409, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 36, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Administrator, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kayla26512
    Participant
    I think that some colors complement certain skin tones more than others.

User Detail :  

Name : Kayla26512, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, 

Jennifer l.
    Participant
    I agree. I think the color is not so much the issue as the brightness and contrast level. I am blond and fair, and there are some shades of colors I won't wear because they wash me out. I think a dark-skinned person can look very good in a dark to medium purple suit, but a pale lavender would not be as complimentary, in my opinion.

Changing the subject slightly, I'd like to discuss hair color. I have noticed that some black people can look good with their hair colored blond, and others cannot. The darker the skin or more contrast the blond hair has with the complexion, the worse it looks. A lighter skin color seems to go better with blond hair. Take Whitney Houston, for example. She can pull off blond hair very well. But when I see a very dark-skinned person with blond hair, or even a white person with a very dark suntan and light blond hair, it looks like a photo negative to me. I always think when I see a white person with a very dark tan who has bleached blond hair that she or he should have toned it down a bit for a more golden blond, to blend better with their complexion.

So the contrast with certain shades of colors with other colors stands true in my opinion.

User Detail :  

Name : Jennifer l., Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 41, City : Green Bay, State : WI Country : United States, Occupation : Screen Technician/ musician, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Jay31297
    Participant
    I don't think purple suits look good on anyone - unless you're in a circus act.

User Detail :  

Name : Jay31297, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, 

Jamie
    Purple just happens to be a color that goes better with darker skin. Incidentally, I'm an extremely pale white ma,n and bright colors don't suit me at all.

User Detail :  

Name : Jamie, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 26, City : Torbay, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : designer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Wayne-C24364
    Participant
    I haven't seen a black man who looked very good in a purple suit. Odds are you will look like a dork by default if you wear a purple suit, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation or religion.

User Detail :  

Name : Wayne-C24364, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 43, City : Orange, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : Marketing, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Matt22003
    Participant
    Let's be honest. No one looks good in a purple suit.

User Detail :  

Name : Matt22003, Gender : M, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 26, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Lynne
    Participant
    I think that in general the only men who look good in purple suits are the Temptations. I'm not sure if the question is narrowly about purple suits, in which case clothing colors flattering personal coloring is the answer, or about racial/ethnic differences in men's attitudes about looking stylish and fashionable. Although in all racial and ethnic groups there are individuals who care a lot about clothes and those who are indifferent, in general men of western european backgrounds don't seem to care as much about being well dressed and stylish as black, italian, or hispanic men. A man who cares about his clothes will carry himself with pride and confidence if he is wearing something unusual and attention getting, while a fashion clueless man will look uncomfortable, especially if his peers think it's strange for a man to be into clothes. Cultural significance also comes into play. A white linen summer suit that looks elegant on a southern gentleman like Tom Wolfe would look silly on a Manhattan investment banker, for instance.

User Detail :  

Name : Lynne, City : Gainesville, State : FL Country : United States, 
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.