Street safety

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    I was waiting at the bus stop with a neighbour and he told me about a dark narrow lane I could take to another street if I wanted to catch an alternative bus. I explained to him that I'd seen the lane but thought it was too risky to take it as it was dark, covered by trees and no one could see what was going on in the lane. He sounded surprised at my reluctance to take it, he obviously hadn't thought of the safety aspect. I've had this reaction from men before. E.g. when I told a male colleague (relative) street safety at night was one reason I owned a car he obviously hadn't thought of that. The neighbour's comment was just after we'd had 12 murders in 2 weeks in New Zealand, a country of only 3.8 million people. I'd like to ask men why so many of you are so unaware of the extra caution women have to take in the streets. I find it hard to understand how many men can be so unaware of this, and it annoys me that many men seem oblivious to the dangers, and the extra caution women have to take. This is not something I can be oblivous about.

User Detail :  

Name : Trust no manager, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 35, City : Wellington, State : NA Country : New Zealand, Occupation : Librarian, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.