Spending habits of the poor

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author

Margaret22217
    Participant
    Why do the people with the least income feel the need to buy the most expensive clothing?

User Detail :  

Name : Margaret22217, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 27, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Graphic arts, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Sunny27765
    Participant
    Conspicuous consumption is all about crafting the way you wish to be perceived. Some people believe that being seen with expensive possessions will make them appear affluent.

User Detail :  

Name : Sunny27765, Gender : F, Age : 24, City : New Orleans, State : LA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Bill
    Because of my low income, I haven't bought any new clothes in more than a year and a half. I can't afford to!

User Detail :  

Name : Bill, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 43, City : Naples, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

ilona
    Participant
    i did notice that as well. i suppose it is to deter from the 'social' status. wearing certain clothes makes people perceive you in a certain way. dressing in expensive clothes won't give away the fact that you're poor.

User Detail :  

Name : ilona, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 30, City : new orleans, State : LA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Gatorboy
    They don't, as a group, you just notice the ones that do.

User Detail :  

Name : Gatorboy, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 55, City : Melbourne, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : retired, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
    It's less expensive than going to jail for stealing.

User Detail :  

Name : Harry Highstreet, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Aliens, Disability : Mental, Race : First Place, Religion : Messlopian, Age : 68, City : St. Clair, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Author, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
    If you really want more information you should read some of Ruby Payne's work. Essentially she says that clothing is valued by the poverty level for its individual style and expression. Personally it seems to me that most people who have less money are trying to fit into a world where it is almost impossible to be accepted if they are different (not having much money).

User Detail :  

Name : Kristina Krueger, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 24, City : Muscatine, State : IA Country : United States, Occupation : Social Work, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Leah20106
    Participant
    People with little to no money cannot buy status and prestige, a thing that seems to come almost naturally to those with money. In buying (or just owning) name-brand, expensive clothing, these people move up in status! The same reasoning applies to natives of the Amazon, people in ghettos and trailer parks, and to the wealthiest of the wealthy...

User Detail :  

Name : Leah20106, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Pagan, Age : 28, City : Arcata, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Musician, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jacqui21040
    Participant
    I guess it makes them feel important.....amongst themselves. Of course, its the dumbest thing to do!! :=)

User Detail :  

Name : Jacqui21040, City : Philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, 

Steve
    Participant
    Shopping for things other than necessities seems to be a way to make up for things lacking in a person's life. Look around next time you are in Wal-Mart, there are so many people walking around aimlessly, just checking things out. Then there's living beyond one's means. It's the American way. Get a credit card, go into debt! You owe it to yourself and the country.... Shop!!

User Detail :  

Name : Steve, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Atheist, Age : 43, City : Tucson, State : AZ Country : United States, Occupation : Retired Military/student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Jennifer-R
    Participant
    I've been poor most of my life, so I know what it's like to want the finer things, i.e expensive clothing. Poor people want to believe they belong to a higher class and the only way they can do that is 'dress the part'. It helps take them out of the ghetto, at least mentally. However, you should also know that most poor people wear cheap knockoffs or just buy the items second hand.

User Detail :  

Name : Jennifer-R, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Unitarian, Age : 31, City : Canton, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : Homemaker, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Rebecca
    Participant
    There are many reasons we 'low' income people spend more than we can afford on clothes. As a mother of two children, I know that they are judged by peers and teachers (yes, really) by their apperance. In a perfect world this wouldn't be the case, but this world is anything but perfect. I want the best for my children in education and socially, so I am willing to go without so that my children are not singled out or treated any different than children who come from a higher tax bracket. Another reason why the 'poor' seem to mispend thier money is relative poverty. When you see others with expensive things, it's natural to envy that. So it becomes not about the object, but about relieving the constant awareness of poverty that you live with everyday. When you're on a diet, you are restricting yourself from cake, or potato chips or what ails you. From time to time we all cheat and go for the cheesecake. It's the same as being poor and buying something expensive. We all need to treat ourselves from time to time. Next time you treat yourself, think about how a poverty-stricken person feels when they buy top of the line sneakers. Sometimes it just feels good.

User Detail :  

Name : Rebecca, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Bahai Faith, Age : 33, City : Schenectady, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : housewife/setudent, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Manda22322
    Participant
    I don't think all people with low incomes feel the need to buy expensive clothing. My family was poor for most of my childhood, and all my clothes came from Wal-mart or similar stores. However, I know that there are people who do this. I think the reason for this is a status issue. People don't buy something by Louis Vuitton because it's so cute or extremely well made. They buy it because it's associated with being high class. So some people feel if they have something associated with being high class, they'll be perceived as high class, and in turn feel better about themselves.

User Detail :  

Name : Manda22322, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 20, City : Memphis, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ruth
    This is something I never understood, either. My hubby's ex has nothing, but insists the children have cell phones. Now the bill is $900 and she's crying because she can't pay it. What happend to lights and water and groceries? I guess they see themselves in a hole they can never get out of, so why not live it up?

User Detail :  

Name : Ruth, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Presbyterian, Age : 34, City : New Orleans, State : LA Country : United States, Occupation : Teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Sara19628
    Participant
    It may be an attempt to not appear as if they are of lower income status. For example, one woman I know, originally from a lower income status but currently living in a middle class neighborhood due to child support payments, prioritizes her spending much differently from most middle class households. She is all about the 'bling', showing off her expensive car, recently installed extravagent pool, multiple televisions, video games for the kids, you get the picture. She equates everything she has purchased with a dollar amount, and is not shy about telling us how much she has paid for her luxury items. I guess she is trying to impress everyone with how much money she has since she grew up without it.

User Detail :  

Name : Sara19628, Gender : F, City : Phoenix, State : AZ Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.