Society & Marijuana

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Nick19589
    Participant
    Let me start out by stating first of all, I'm a regular user of marijuana. Have been for about 4 years now. Throughout those years I have come across people that like to scold the idea of it to a lot of extremes. I don't use other substances or nothing (except that I do drink from time to time). Other than the fact it's illegal, I honestly don't see what's immoral about it. I mean, sure it's unhealthy. But so is alcohol and tobacco, and that's legal. So are pharmecutical drugs when overly used. I think the U.S. government stresses way too much on the idea of getting high. In Canada, it's legal to a point, and nobody there really thinks too much about it. People who live in Amsterdam don't really even smoke, because it's everywhere and there's nothing special about it to them. I go to school, I have a good job, and I consider myself a decent person. So for people that don't use it, I can see why they don't do it, because it's just not what they do. But why put it down like it's a crack or meth addiction, etc.? I've gone through periods without inhaling, and it's nothing to fiend over, either. Why in a nation that is supposed to be the most free, is it looked at as 'bad'?

User Detail :  

Name : Nick19589, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Christian, Age : 18, City : Arlington, State : TX Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Mara
    Participant
    mostly it was (like most stupid laws) a mixture of racism and religeon that got it outlawed. In the early 1900 the U.S. was inundated with laborers from Mexico. One of the main differences between poor Anglo workers and poor Mexican workers was that the Mexicans were more likely to smoke marijuana. That was one point against it. But that's not what got the government so p.o'd. It was actually the Mormons that got the ball rolling. They sent some folks down south of the border and when they came back, they brought a liking for marijuana. Of course the puritanical church elders couldn't have their folks out there getting happy on the weed any more than they could allow them to drink or smoke. So the state of Utah outlawed it. Other states soon followed. That's how marijuana, one of the most innocuous of intoxicants, fell prey to moralists and racists.

User Detail :  

Name : Mara, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 40, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : data entry, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Vespertine
    Participant
    That's a question i've thought about regularly. I, myself, have been smoking marijuana for about eight months and have found a few possible answers to this question. Firstly, people generally fear that which they do not understand. With all the negative press attached to marijuana use, it's clear that many people will develop a disdain for the drug. It is also possible that the effects of herb are antithetical to the norms of society. America is a capitalist country and marijauna use will create peaceful, non competitive attitude in the user. I find that that the root of America's war on this specific herb is waged by a greedy government that feels the need to control the lives of it's citizens. This government is corrupt and it will not tolerate any person who actively breaks a law they put in place. This will cause them to put on a campaign against marijuana use and create paranoia amongst the general population in order to regain control over the people. This is why I think the stigma attached to pot smoking is utterly ridiculous and unfounded.

User Detail :  

Name : Vespertine, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 19, City : Laguna Beach, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : bohemian, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Dodd
    Participant
    I think people in America look down on smoking marijuana because it is illegal. Marijuana is also associated with harder drugs. Because it is illegal, you cannot buy it in a store. It is dangerous to get. I agree that alcohol and cigarettes are harmful to your body just like marijuana. But I also think that because alcohol and cigarettes are legal that makes a huge difference. Although some people think bad of the people that drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes.

User Detail :  

Name : Dodd, City : Greenwood, State : MS Country : United States, 

Laurie
    Participant
    The reason alcohol and tobacco are legal and marijuana are not is due to history and traditions. Since alcohol has been used since early times, Americans tend to think of it as a 'better' drug, but actually it is more dangerous than marijuana. If tobacco were introduced today, it would be illegal due to its health risks, but since it is already part of the mainstream culture, it hasn't been made illegal.

User Detail :  

Name : Laurie, Gender : Female, Age : 56, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, 

Ramzialzaki Weir
    Participant
    the reality of the situation is there's nothing wrong with marijuana use even in 'excess'.when is the last time you heard of someone going crazy and hurting someone elsewhile smoking JUST WEED!There are no weed 'fiends', so no one gets attacked because someone was trying to get high and when people smoke their less likey to committe a violent crime during or even after intoxication. However, if everyone realized this obvious truth then there would be too many people either in favor of or indifferent to the direct and full legalization of an herb that can be grown in people's homes and gardens or bought and sold without being regulated and taxed by the gov't right under uncle sams radar so to speak.people would be able to sell weed and generated large sums of capital/money without paying gov't taxes.Such financial growth in the 'wrong paces' would be empowering to people who aren't suposed to have that kind of power(poor people) and of course uncle sam wouldn't allow your local weed dealer to have that kind of unregulated power because they could no longer directly subjegate,control,and/or profit from that portion of the population via the penal/judical system(jail my latin brother)! p.s.:yes i'am high right now!

User Detail :  

Name : Ramzialzaki Weir, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 22, City : Cohoes, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower class, 

mike19798
    Participant
    I've wondered pot's illegal for adults to use and alcohol's legal for adults to use when they're about as equally unhealthy. The government could make money from legalizing pot and using hemp as paper is wonderful for the environment. For years, it's been viewed as more evil than alcohol and I don't why.

User Detail :  

Name : mike19798, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, 

CherylM
    It is looked at as bad because the government needed a boogeyman and used propaganda to brainwash the public into believing marijuana was the drug of choice for despots as far back as 80 years ago. Eighty years of propaganda is hard to overcome, no matter the amount of scientific data to the contrary. Marijuana could be a vital tool in the treatment of alcoholism, which would save lives, save families and save tax dollars, yet the taboo cannot be overcome. It will be legalized, but only when the public is educated and willing to stand up and demand it.

User Detail :  

Name : CherylM, City : Orange Park, State : FL Country : United States, 
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.