Slavery still around?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Lucy22623
    Participant
    Yes, slavery is still around. There are several countries in Africa where it is still widely practiced.

User Detail :  

Name : Lucy22623, Gender : F, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 25, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Tim
    Participant
    Is there any slavery still going on in the world? If so, where?

User Detail :  

Name : Tim, City : Brewerton, State : NY Country : United States, 

Andrew
    Participant
    A couple of years ago, the Baltimore Sun won a Pulitzer Prize for sending a couple of reporters to Sudan, where they bought a slave and then set him free. Slavery exists in some less developed countries. And in several more modern countries, prisoners are used to manufacture things, which could be defined as slavery.

User Detail :  

Name : Andrew, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Huntington, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Reporter, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

annonymous
    Participant
    Tim: There is a new reference title entitled, 'Slavery Throughout History'. Check your local public library. It gives a fairly thorough examination of slavery throughout the world appropriate for the middle school through high school audience. It includes current practices of exploitive child labor,prostitution, and other forms of slavery that exist in contemporary times. While I can not provide you with a specific reference I have heard current commentary about a black market for a white women in other countries, and here in Michigan, there was recently a case reported of a young African girl abused by a white couple for 3yrs. under distressed conditions, i.e. she was treated as a slave. I also was told by a very reliable source that there is a market for victims to be used in snuf movies. These are usually women sold off for drugs. The victims are doped, forced to perform various acts which are videotaped and then the victim's killing is videotaped as well.I have known addicts who were so desperate for drugs(mostly women) that they were forced to perform lewd acts to pay off drug debts. Others have sold either their wives or children for the same reasons. As gruesome as this sounds this is real.

User Detail :  

Name : annonymous, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 34, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, 

ACC24047
    Participant
    What would typically be thought of as racialized black slavery still exists in Morocco, the Sudan, and the Dominican Republic, and in the rainforests of Brazil, where it is done to Indians of the Amazon. Enslavement of women and girls for prostitution happens in many more countries, over most of Asia and the Middle East and even here in the US, where it typically happens to illegal immigrant women from China or Central America. Anti-slavery organizations like the same ones most of us read about in high school history classes that existed before the Civil War, are still around and kept busy. They have their own websites worth looking at.

User Detail :  

Name : ACC24047, City : W Lafayette, State : IN Country : United States, Occupation : Grad student, 

Pete S.
    Participant
    Good question, Tim, but there's not an easy answer. Often slavery is dependent upon who defines it and how it is defined. I once had a Psychology instructor who told us about a make-believe world in which half of the population earned $50,000 and the other half earned $50,500. Those earning only $50,000 were categorized as being poor because they didn't earn as much as the other half. That being said, I suspect that your question really relates to slavery as it is defined by the early American practice. I have heard stories about different countries in Africa and in Eastern Europe where there are small pockets of slavery as it is classically defined, but no one is going to admit that they are still practicing slavery in this day and age.

User Detail :  

Name : Pete S., Gender : M, Age : 51, City : Orlando, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Dan31667
    Participant
    Slavery is still around. In Sudan, people are kidnapped and enslaved. It also exists in many Arab countries. In places such as Thailand and the Phillipines, young girls and small children are 'acquired' and forced into prostitution. The same thing happens in certain parts of Latin America, most notably Guatemala City. It exists in pockets in various parts of the world, mainly Africa and Asia.

User Detail :  

Name : Dan31667, Gender : M, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Pentecostal Christian, Age : 21, City : L.A. area, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Lower middle class, 

M-J
    Participant
    Yes most definitely!! One of the prime examples is in Sudan. Where some blacks are enslaved by Arab masters. You also have young girls who are sex slaves in countries like the Phillipines.

User Detail :  

Name : M-J, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, 

Dave26026
    Participant
    Slavery certainly does still exist but its not so obvious. In countries where young girls are bought from their families and put to work (often as prostitutes or housemaids) slavery is still a way of life. This occurs in Thailand, Bangladesh and others. In the US, UK and here in New Zealand there are isolated cases of people bringing in domestic workers from other countries (such as Thailand or the Phillipines), confiscating their passports and making them work for nothing. If this isn't slavery I don't know what is. It is possible that instituitonalised slavery (ie sanctioned by the state) still exists but I don't know where.

User Detail :  

Name : Dave26026, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 31, City : Upper Hutt, State : NA Country : New Zealand, Occupation : Government adviser, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

BK
    Participant
    Unfortunately yes, slavery is still around. This website has more information on this..... http://www.iabolish.com

User Detail :  

Name : BK, City : Southeastern, State : MI Country : United States, 
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.